Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/)
-   -   LML: Head gasket leak - common LML problem? (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-2016-lml/954514-head-gasket-leak-common-lml-problem.html)

diesel dog 02-26-2018 11:21 PM

Head gasket leak - common LML problem?

My 2011 has had a slow leak for most of its life, never could find a leak. This last month I had a low coolant light come on a few times , added 1/2 gal. So off to the dealer to get it checked out, it has all the signs of a leaking head gasket, the service rep tells me they are seeing fare number of LML come in with leaks. The antifreeze is pushed out the overflow on the hiway and you never see the leak. The quotes to repair range from 6500 to 8000. $ The truck has 400,000 kilometers on it and still drives like new, do I fix it or dump it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drperry 02-26-2018 11:35 PM

Find a shop that isn't overpriced like the dealership, first, and get a quote.

That's way expensive, even for Canadian dollars, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

diesel dog 02-26-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drperry (Post 9573714)
Find a shop that isn't overpriced like the dealership, first, and get a quote.

That's way expensive, even for Canadian dollars, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The price for 8000.00 was a small shop, includes machining the heads and ARP studs. The GM dealer for just Labour wants 5000. Plus parts and machining. I am looking around for other prices, any one know of good shop in northern Alberta?

20dmax03 02-27-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel dog (Post 9573730)
The price for 8000.00 was a small shop, includes machining the heads and ARP studs. The GM dealer for just Labour wants 5000. Plus parts and machining. I am looking around for other prices, any one know of good shop in northern Alberta?

If youíre up for a challenge and have the time tackle it yourself! Guy I work with in sask paid $7500 at the stealer for his. I did my lmm myself for $3000 that was all gaskets, studs, egr delete, bd manifold, lb7 up pipe and machining. I ordered everything but the up pipe out of the states too!

holmestransfer 02-27-2018 06:31 AM

Depends if you want to keep the truck for awhile yet or not. That 8k (Canadian, I assume) number is pretty on point, pretty much what youíd pay shops around here. With full disclosure, you obviously wont get what the trucks worth if you sell it now... and , youíll be spending a chunk more than 8k if you sell it and buy another. If you like the truck, get it fixed, and keep enjoying it. Head studs will take care of any potential head gasket failures down the road.

diesel dog 02-28-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20dmax03 (Post 9573818)
If youíre up for a challenge and have the time tackle it yourself! Guy I work with in sask paid $7500 at the stealer for his. I did my lmm myself for $3000 that was all gaskets, studs, egr delete, bd manifold, lb7 up pipe and machining. I ordered everything but the up pipe out of the states too!

Itís above my pay grade for sure, 20 years ago I may have gave it a go. I also donít have the proper equipment. Itís to bad they make these trucks so hard to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmestransfer (Post 9573906)
Depends if you want to keep the truck for awhile yet or not. That 8k (Canadian, I assume) number is pretty on point, pretty much what youíd pay shops around here. With full disclosure, you obviously wont get what the trucks worth if you sell it now... and , youíll be spending a chunk more than 8k if you sell it and buy another. If you like the truck, get it fixed, and keep enjoying it. Head studs will take care of any potential head gasket failures down the road.

I do like the truck other than crappy paint, head gasket leak and emissions problems that required a delete. This truck exceeded my expectations in towing, fuel mileage and reliability . With that said I donít think I would buy another new diesel with emissions and cost of fuel, so I am going to repair it.

20dmax03 02-28-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel dog (Post 9578162)
I do like the truck other than crappy paint, head gasket leak and emissions problems that required a delete. This truck exceeded my expectations in towing, fuel mileage and reliability . With that said I donít think I would buy another new diesel with emissions and cost of fuel, so I am going to repair it.

I understand I was nervous about doing it too! No special tools needed all common hand tools. Torque wrench and feeler gauges is about as special as it gets!

diesel dog 02-28-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20dmax03 (Post 9578186)
I understand I was nervous about doing it too! No special tools needed all common hand tools. Torque wrench and feeler gauges is about as special as it gets!

Did you lift the body? Or pull the engine?

20dmax03 02-28-2018 11:56 PM

Neither. Put the hood up in the service position took the grill rad all that stuff out and went at er. Buddy of mine went over the fenders. Neither way is very comfortable but less work.

dangerfield69 03-01-2018 08:17 PM

If you can't remove the cab, jack up & pull inner fenders, easier than going over the fenders.