2015 Low Coolant Message on DIC - Did the dealer fix?! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
05GMCdirtyMAX
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2015 Low Coolant Message on DIC - Did the dealer fix?!

Hello all,

I just took delivery of a new to me 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Duramax. 38,500 miles on 12/15/2017. During sales pitch from stealership I am told they had just completed a 36kmi service upon taking in the truck (YEAH RIGHT!! LOL) and that entailed a full front to rear fluid flush oil change fuel filter change etc etc... They wanted me to believe I was basically getting killer deal. I paid $42,800 for this truck.

About a week after taking it home I got the low coolant warning message on the DIC. Thinking that POSSIBLY they weren't liars and actually flushed the cooling system there may be an air bubble I tossed some dexcool in it and carried on about my merry way. Took about a week, but it returned. I looked and overflow tank was almost full and surge tank was less than half full. I found it odd but said "Eh maybe it's still burping" so I dumped more in. Over the two following weeks the light persisted and began illuminating much more frequently until finally on Sunday (two weeks ago now) it would return almost instantly after I hit dismiss. Being a gearhead it was quite difficult not to look into it myself, but being a realist knowing it should be a warranty issue at this point, and angry about having issues with a truck that I just purchased for so much money with the song and dance about how it was babied its entire life and the old owner just likes big trucks.... I decided it was necessary to let the dealer deal with the issue.

Monday I brought them the truck. I made sure the low coolant message was still lit up on the dash and forced the service writer to come out and look at it so they couldn't toss coolant in the thing and tell me "We couldn't reproduce the issue." She took photos of it and said that her "best diesel tech will be on it in the morning".

Four days passed and I heard nothing. Frustrated about getting rides to and from work I called on Friday. They said they couldn't find the leak yet but I was entitled to a loaner vehicle. I went there just before closing Friday and got the loaner. As I was leaving the lot my phone wrang and the service writer says that the leak was discovered "near a piston" and the technician showed her on an exploded view of what part to order and that they'd have it Monday. So I said to her (knowing she had no idea what the hell she was talking about) "On the exploded view did the part look like a rectangle with 4 big holes in it and was it listed as a gasket?" She said yes, so I assumed great, my truck needs a damn head gasket, and that's what I figured it would be, so I was prepared for the worst and prepared not to have my (again BRAND NEW TO ME $43,000) truck for a month.

Today around 9am I got a call that the truck was fixed and to come get it. Perplexed I said man how the hell did they get that done so quickly....but nonetheless happy to have my truck back and warranty coverage I responded to the dealer to get it. Dropped the keys to the loaner truck a different clueless service adviser handed me my keys said "No charge to you sir thank you and sorry for the inconvenience." I look at the receipt and it says R/R bellhousing and replace gasket.

Now I get in the truck and start it and think to myself, how in the hell does a bellhousing have ANYTHING to do with a coolant leak. Quite frankly I don't know too terribly much about a duramax but I'd imagine the bellhousing doesn't have anything to do with it. Must be some type of EGR issue knowing that the EGR plumbing runs along the top of it, and they needed to drop the trans to get to it was my/is my best guess at this point. While my dealer seemed fair and very friendly, short of speaking to the tech himself which apparently was out of the question since I asked to do so and they didn't allow it..... WHAT IN THE HELL DID THEY DO TO MY TRUCK??? Do you guys know? I'm baffled, and I have a sinking feeling I'll be back there in a week with the same recurring issue. Because lets face it, headgasket failure just seems to be the common denominator when it comes to cooling system issues on a 2015 Duramax.

To any and all replies, thank you in advance for your time.

2002 Camaro Z28 6.0 LSX bottom end, heads cam intake, built 4l60e with precision converter, dana 60 rear, caged and all suspension upgraded. Street/Drag car....always work to be done

2014 18' open car hauler with winch and tool box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
05GMCdirtyMAX
Diesel Student

Also... I apologize I meant to add this to the original post... I park in the very same exact spot at work and at home every single day and I never found a single drop of coolant underneath the truck anywhere and I felt as if I was experiencing exceptionally poor fuel economy. Like 9mpg to be exact. With minimal idling even though it is winter here in NY and zero towing...I have to imagine it should do better than that when healthy.... all of these factors leave me very suspect that my truck has a much bigger issue.

2002 Camaro Z28 6.0 LSX bottom end, heads cam intake, built 4l60e with precision converter, dana 60 rear, caged and all suspension upgraded. Street/Drag car....always work to be done

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
05GMCdirtyMAX
Diesel Student

As I look closer at the repair slip it shows "Found coolant leaking from right side bell housing. Replaced plate gasket and bolts."

Part #'s are listed : 11609410

Looks to be some type of coolant crossover or block off plate? Guess I have nothing to worry about, for now....

Any input greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
BradL11LML
Self Ignition

I had my radiator replaced ~ 3 months ago due to a leaking seam on driver side of radiator......drove the truck home fine from the dealer, coolant level fine in the overflow tank.

Two mornings later start the truck to go out of town and get the low coolant message......what the heck?......long story short I added ~ 2 quarts of Dexcool over the next two months.......yeah the dealer did a real good job of re-filling the coolant system back to proper level.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
64bawagon
Glow Plug

The Duramax is hard to get refilled after a service. When I had my water pump replaced they refilled the system and idled it for about 30 minutes on a 75 degree day. I didnt think it had burped but I knew some time on I-4 would take care of it. ABout 8 miles down I-4 I got the "low coolant" message. I stopped and added about (
) 12 oz bottles of water and got it back up near the full line. Until you get some heat into them and get the thermostats to open youll never get it full.

I would call GM customer care and get them involved, hopefully they will make the dealer walk them through the repairs to date. GM doesnt want them throwing parts at the truck any more than you do because of $$$ Depending on how that conversation and your input they may put the dealer in touch with technical help and get a better handle on the repairs.

It might also be worthwhile to ask for the complete repair history on the truck. That may reveal some problem that prompted the trade in.

Last edited by 64bawagon; 02-08-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Just in case you wanted to see the parts they replaced.

Why worry if all is good.

(110) GM Part 11609410 BOLT, HEX FLANGED HEAD,M8X1.25X25,10.9,GMW3179(FLYWHEEL HOUSING COVER)(0.056)

(111) GM Part :97941204, COVER, Flywheel & Clutch & Converter Housing, COVER,FLYWHEEL HOUSING

(112) GM Part : 97229043 GASKET, Flywheel & Clutch & Converter Housing

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...=0&modelYear=0

Last edited by Rvn4me; 02-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
05GMCdirtyMAX
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradL11LML View Post
I had my radiator replaced ~ 3 months ago due to a leaking seam on driver side of radiator......drove the truck home fine from the dealer, coolant level fine in the overflow tank.

Two mornings later start the truck to go out of town and get the low coolant message......what the heck?......long story short I added ~ 2 quarts of Dexcool over the next two months.......yeah the dealer did a real good job of re-filling the coolant system back to proper level.
LOL yes I figured I'd be adding a little in afterwards. Flat rate guys don't really enjoy sitting around the shop and losing money just to get the system filled correctly. To me a $20 bottle of coolant is nothing and I don't mind pouring it in later on as long as my truck is fixed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64bawagon View Post
The Duramax is hard to get refilled after a service. When I had my water pump replaced they refilled the system and idled it for about 30 minutes on a 75 degree day. I didnt think it had burped but I knew some time on I-4 would take care of it. ABout 8 miles down I-4 I got the "low coolant" message. I stopped and added about (
) 12 oz bottles of water and got it back up near the full line. Until you get some heat into them and get the thermostats to open youll never get it full.

I would call GM customer care and get them involved, hopefully they will make the dealer walk them through the repairs to date. GM doesnt want them throwing parts at the truck any more than you do because of $$$ Depending on how that conversation and your input they may put the dealer in touch with technical help and get a better handle on the repairs.

It might also be worthwhile to ask for the complete repair history on the truck. That may reveal some problem that prompted the trade in.
That's actually a great idea and I do not know why I didn't think of it. I should've asked for a service history of the truck. What the hell was I thinking... Thank you! Any GM dealer should be able to pull up and print out any GM performed service on my truck based off of its VIN I'd imagine right? I have a friend who is a service manager at a Chevy/Cadillac Dealer, maybe I'll ask him to do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
Just in case you wanted to see the parts they replaced.

Why worry if all is good.

(110) GM Part 11609410 BOLT, HEX FLANGED HEAD,M8X1.25X25,10.9,GMW3179(FLYWHEEL HOUSING COVER)(0.056)

(111) GM Part :97941204, COVER, Flywheel & Clutch & Converter Housing, COVER,FLYWHEEL HOUSING

(112) GM Part : 97229043 GASKET, Flywheel & Clutch & Converter Housing

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...=0&modelYear=0
Thank you for the help. I always worry, I've probably taken years off my life I'm such a stress pot lol... But in all honesty if a head gasket does blow on this thing I'll be in for a world of hurt if it occurs outside of warranty. Engagement taking place this spring on a cruise with her, closed on a brand new house in December, just tossed like $12,000 into my drag car this winter...not much extra $ floating around to blow on costly repairs to my daily driver!!!! Cruise is paid for, drag car parts paid for (well almost, tax returns taking care of the rest) but I wiped myself out getting into the house and such and now I gotta buy a ring too!! FML lol

Last edited by 05GMCdirtyMAX; 02-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GMCdirtyMAX View Post
I gotta buy a ring too!! FML lol
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e47d6deace.jpg
Old 02-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
05GMCdirtyMAX
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
HAHA that's pretty good. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Any shop that doesn't use a lift system to refill the coolant shouldn't be working on them. No air in the system and no burping it plus you don't run the risk of overheating your turbo because of an air bubble.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in