Cp4 gone bad ? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
infinityforge
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cp4 gone bad ?

Hey guys. So I was driving the truck the other day locally when all of a sudden it just hesitated then shut down. Everything I've read on here seems to say the when the cp4 craps out I should see a check engine light and the fuel filter reminder drops to 0%. Mine hasn't done either. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
jacksoea
Low Boost

Id check and see if you have a good prime in your fuel system first. The fuel filter heads (and WIF sensor for that matter) have been known to leak by and cause the pump to lose suction...

Ed Jackson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
infinityforge
Clutch

I changed the filter and primed it and nothing…
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
LBZjunkie
Diesel Apprentice

Going to need a scan tool to read fuel pressure while cranking. You could check for debris on the regulator.
Primary/secondary fuel filter's, OE still in place
Firestone air bags
Pacbrake onboard air
EGR delete
Junk *** POS Duramileage tuner-WTF WAS I THINKING!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
infinityforge
Clutch

I gotcha. Going to plug a scanner up to it tomorrow. I just didn't know if there was something I was overlooking
Old 01-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
infinityforge
Clutch

Also if this is my issue I'm going to do a cp3 swap. What should I swap out/need for parts ? Thanks
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityforge View Post
Also if this is my issue I'm going to do a cp3 swap. What should I swap out/need for parts ? Thanks
There's about 350,000 places that sell kits, some with pump and some without pump.
LML DURAMAX CP4 TO CP3 CONVERSION KIT WITH PUMP (TUNING REQ'D)
$1,522.00

No Start or Hard Start

1) Check the injector returns:
2) Verify the fuel injector return line pressure is greater than 3 BAR (see “Fuel Injectors” for more information).
3) Unplug the fuel pressure regulator 2 (pressure control valve in left hand rail) electrical connector. Crank the engine for 15 seconds and verify there is a steady flow of fuel from the fitting on the rail. If there is not, proceed to checking/replacing the high pressure pump.
4) Remove the return hose from the fuel pressure regulator 2 (pressure control valve in left hand rail) and plug the hose. Crank the engine for 15 seconds and measure the fuel from the regulator. The volume of fuel should be less than 10 ml. If it is more, replace the regulator. The high pressure seal on the pressure control valve is one time use. Do not remove the pressure control valve unless you are sure it is defective and you are replacing it.
5)Check for air in fuel system; install clear lines before and after the filter housing to check for air in the lines.
6) Use a vacuum gauge to check the suction side of the fuel system. You should have no more than 5 inches Hg at WOT (wide open throttle) or 7-8 inches Hg under load. If you still have too much restriction after changing the filter, check for collapsing soft fuel lines by the drivers side valve cover and under the truck near the transmission. The fuel tank pick up may also be plugged. Too little vacuum (less than 2 inches Hg) means that it could be sucking air.
7) Confirm actual versus desired rail pressure even under crank no start conditions, to confirm the starting issue is rail pressure related. If rail pressure matches desired, diagnose other codes that may be related to starting problems.
1- (No Start) Disconnect the electrical connector and return line from one injector. Plug the fuel return line fitting with a suitable tool (CH-50377-A). Crank the engine for 15 seconds and verify no fuel leaks from the injector. If fuel leaks from the injector, replace it. Repeat for all eight injectors.
2- (Hard start but runs) Disconnect the return line from one injector. Plug the fuel return line fitting with a suitable tool (CH-50377-A). Use adapter CH-50378 (required to accurately test return, contains regulator to maintain injector return pressure) to route the injector return into a graduated container. Crank or idle the engine until fuel is dripping out of the line. Crank or idle the engine for 15 seconds and measure the return quantity. If the quantity is greater than 3 ml in 15 seconds, replace it. Repeat for all eight injectors.
8) Remove the high pressure regulator from the high pressure pump and check for metal debris. If there is metal found, the entire high pressure fuel system must be checked for metal and replaced as needed. GM recommends replacing the injection pump, rails, high pressure fuel lines, fuel injectors, fuel return rails, indirect fuel injector, and indirect injector fuel feed tubes if metal is found.

Misses – Cuts Out

1) Use scan tool to isolate one cylinder at a time. Monitor injector balance rates in park or neutral. Injector balance rates outside of +4 to -6.9 indicate a problem with that cylinder or injector.
2) A missing or damaged chamber gasket or low compression could cause a miss.
3) Crankcase overfull (fuel dilution) can cause a rough run and balance rates out of specification.
4) Inspect the CKP sensor reluctor wheel. Remove the CKP sensor and attempt to move the reluctor wheel front to back or side to side with a probe. If there is any movement, the reluctor wheel retaining bolts are loose.
5) Inspect for an intermittent FRP sensor signal by wiggling the harness between the sensor and the ECM with the ignition ON and the engine OFF, while monitoring the parameter with a scan tool.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-28-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
infinityforge
Clutch

I get that there's a bunch of different companies making cp3 to cp4 conversions. I was looking for feedback as far as what kits best also what I should get to make sure that I will not have an issue in the future as far as metal in the system. Like what can I clean and flush and what needs to be replaced. I know the pump and injectors but what else ?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
sshep69
Clutch

If in fact your CP4 did fail, then everything in the fuel system needs to be changed. Pump, fuel rails, injectors, lines, return lines. The tank needs to be dropped and cleaned along with flushing the supply and return lines.

As far a CP3 Conversion goes, I recommend the Fleece Kit
2011-2016 LML CP3 Conversion Kit with CP3K Fleece Performance Engineering, Inc.: Innovating Diesel Performance

B&W Turnover Ball, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags w/Air Command F3, Edge CTS2 Monitor

2002 GMC 3500 SLT Crew Cab Sold
Old 02-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
shortnugly
Diesel Fanatic

Well..... any updates?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in