Weird vibration driving me insane! Please help. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
GunMetal832
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Weird vibration driving me insane! Please help.

Ok so Ill keep it short and sweet. I bought a 2011 chevy 2500HD back in october. 6.6 LML. At first the truck ran fine. It had obviously been tuned before hand as it was extremely quick and blew a ton of smoke. Im not the biggest fan of "rolling coal" for no reason. But to be able to do it to show off to my buddies was cool enough. Well then I started getting some weird vibrations and noises when the truck was in reverse. I felt the vibration in the steering wheel and could hear it. It almost reminded me of my older 96 cummins before I adjusted the idle rpm. Then I got a "change fuel filter" reminder. And no matter how hard i hammered down i got no smoke and it seemed to of lost power. Now it does it in drive when i let off the throttle the rpm goes down and it makes the noise. And in park sometimes. The second I give it some throttle it goes away. When i changed the fuel filter i had brown slime in the bottom of it. What do yall think? I still have the "change fuel filter" light because I am an idiot and can not figure out how to reset it as my truck does not have the DIC. I recently got a Edge CS2 for christmas and plugged it in to check the injector balance rates. I had no idea what is "normal" for the truck. Could this be a case of bad fuel and its restricting the flow? Garbage like algea and bacteria in the bottom of the tank? I added some fuel cleaner two times at each fill up and got nothing. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
MaxGunner
Clutch

Post a picture of your balance rates please. Idle should be at or below +,-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunner View Post
Post a picture of your balance rates please. Idle should be at or below +,-3
For the LML
Monitor injector balance rates in park or neutral. Injector balance rates outside of +4 to -6.9 indicate a problem with that cylinder or injector.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

To reset the system, press and hold the set/reset button, or the trip odometer reset stem if there are no DIC buttons, for two seconds while FUEL FILTER LIFE REMAINING is displayed on the DIC.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaxGunner
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
For the LML
Monitor injector balance rates in park or neutral. Injector balance rates outside of +4 to -6.9 indicate a problem with that cylinder or injector.

Thatís exactly what I just said

Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
BanksLB7Duramax
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Thatís exactly what I just said

No itís not.
MY FUELLY PAGE LINK

1984 C20 6.2 J Code TH400
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
MaxGunner
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanksLB7Duramax View Post
No itís not.

Normal operation at idle is +,-3.
Oh but anything outside of that now is not normal as what was stated above. Symantecs clowns.

When ya come in an say +4 and -6 is not normal IT STILL PROCES MY STATEMENT TRUE LMAO

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rvn4me
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Normal operation at idle is +,-3.
Oh but anything outside of that now is not normal as what was stated above. Symantecs clowns.

When ya come in an say +4 and -6 is not normal IT STILL PROCES MY STATEMENT TRUE LMAO
This is correct.
For the LML
Injector balance rates outside of +4 to -6.9 indicate a problem with that cylinder or injector.

Where did you come up with these numbers? +,-3 your going to confuse people with these numbers.
There still in range.

Last edited by Rvn4me; 01-04-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
MaxGunner
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvn4me View Post
This is correct.
For the LML
Injector balance rates outside of +4 to -6.9 indicate a problem with that cylinder or injector.

Where did you come up with these numbers? +,-3 your going to confuse people with these numbers.
There still in range.

Galles Chevy in New Mexico. Passed through and I was hovering at 2.6-.9 and my emissions at the time was jacked. Service department said to make sure it didnít get out of the +-3
General consensus on other forums is around the same threshold.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

This is my last post on this. I'm not helping (GunMetal832) and that's not me (you say I say)
Quote:
Service department said to make sure it didn’t get out of the +-3
General consensus on other forums is around the same threshold.
Proper way to check balance rates.... applies to all 2001-2010 DURAMAX's
GM specs of +/- 4 in nuetral and +/- 6 in gear
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...nce-rates.html
For the LML

Fuel Injectors

Note: The injectors are a piezo type CR injector. Diagnosis is much different than the earlier generations.

The engine control module (ECM) supplies a high voltage supply circuit and a high voltage control circuit for each fuel injector. The injector high voltage supply circuit and the high voltage control circuit are both controlled by the ECM. The ECM energizes each fuel injector by grounding the control circuit and supplying each fuel injector with up to 250 V and 20 amps on the voltage supply circuit to activate the piezo type fuel injectors. This is controlled by boost capacitors in the ECM. During the 250 V boost phase the capacitor is used to charge the injector piezo stack allowing for injector opening. The injector is then held open with this high voltage. At the end of the injection event the ECM closes the injector by discharging the injector piezo stack.

1)The injectors are cooled by a calibrated amount of fuel flow through the injector body to the injector return lines. If the injectors are worn, damaged, or contaminated, the amount of fuel flowing through the injector body may increase, resulting in improper injector performance. The maximum allowable leakage for one injector is 3 ml in 15 seconds, cranking or at idle.
2)The injectors require a minimum of 3 BAR (45 psi) of pressure in the return system. Pressure is maintained via a “Constant Pressure Regulator” at 4-11 BAR (58-160 PSI).
3) Other Injector Notes
-Balance Rates, when checked in Park or Neutral, should indicate bad injectors. Any injectors that are more than +4/-6.9 are a possible cause for rough run.
-Miss, smoke or rough run usually indicate that the injectors are the cause. LML engines with a DPF may not show any smoke, but frequent DPF regen events would suggest poor combustion.
-We have seen a couple of vehicles that do not have starting issues, but injector return is excessive at higher rail pressures which may cause the P0087 to set.

The injectors have a piezo stack instead of an electro-magnetic solenoid. When energized, the piezo crystals expand, lifting the control valve off of its seat via a hydraulic coupler (connecting plunger to begin injection. If the valve seat in the injector is leaking or the pressure regulating valve leaks then it will not build enough rail pressure to start the engine.

Last edited by G2GBY; 01-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in