LML: p0234 p2263 p2599 towing up hill - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

try to get a hold of a ''tech2 scanner'',run the turbo vanes 0-100,the problem is the vanes arnt going thru the full range of travel

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
jamilbk
Heat Sink

I just had this happen again on mine at 91k mi. P0234, P2263, P2599 just like the OP. Pulling 13k at WOT up a hill. Engine power reduced, pulled over, cycled the ignition and engine power back to 100% but CEL illuminated. After a few more ignition cycles the CEL went away on its own.

I just took a peek under the hood and saw the cold pipe clamp where it connects to the turbo. I grabbed a 7/16" wrench and tightened it up... was pretty loose. Got the nut down another 1/8" or so. See pic.

Hopefully that was the problem. I'm taking it to the dealer to check everything over and will report back with results. Fingers crossed that loose clamp was the problem. The clamp looks suspiciously new especially considering how dirty that boot is and I've never touched it...

Old 05-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilbk View Post
The clamp looks suspiciously new especially considering how dirty that boot is and I've never touched it..
Ya that's not normal, should be dirty.
The other clamp looks loose to. It must be buried. I stick them both up so there easy to tighten up.

Last edited by G2GBY; 05-04-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #24 (permalink)
jamilbk
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2GBY View Post
Ya that's not normal, should be dirty.
The other clamp looks loose to. It must be buried. I stick them both up so there easy to tighten up.
All the other clamps as far as I can tell are crimped. I remember reading somewhere about the boots being crimped on with adhesive. If a boot blows off, you have to replace the whole boot / pipe.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

This came for my 2008 model but outlines how to seal the turbo piping.

Engine - Oil Leaks from Charge Air Cooler/Turbocharger TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 09-06-93-001A
Date: February 12, 2010
Subject: Engine Oil Leaks from Charge Air Cooler and Turbocharger Air Inlet Adapter (Replace Clamp and/or Turbo Inlet Duct/Pipe)
Models:
2007-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak
2007-2010 Chevrolet and GMC Light and Medium Duty Trucks Equipped with Diesel Engines
2007-2010 Chevrolet Silverado Equipped with Engine RPO LLY, LBZ or LMM Diesel
2007-2009 GMC TopKick Equipped with Engine RPO LLY, LBZ or LMM Diesel
2007-2010 GMC Sierra
Please Refer to GMVIS Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-93-001 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak from the rear of the engine near the flywheel housing. Upon further investigation, a technician may find oil in the charge air cooler or turbocharger air inlet adapter.
Cause
Note
Oil found in this system is very rarely an indication of a turbocharger failure. This condition may be caused by a loose clamp at the inlet duct/pipe located on the turbocharger. Oil may carry over from the PCV system and leak out the turbo inlet duct/pipe.
Correction
Note
Do not replace the turbocharger if oil is found in the charge air cooler pipes. Important
When replacing the clamp, tighten the clamp to 5 Nm (41 lb in), then loosen and re-tighten to 5 Nm (41 lb in). OIL LEAK FOUND AT CHARGE AIR COOLER OUTLET (HOT SIDE)
Clean the rubber duct hose with soapy water and allow to dry. Apply a thin bead of high temperature RTV silicone sealant to the turbocharger compressor outlet port and CAC duct connections.
Tighten
Tighten the clamps to 8 Nm (70 lb in). OIL LEAK FOUND (Full-Size Pickup Trucks - Silverado and Sierra)
Replace the turbo inlet duct/pipe and clamp with P/N 98011738.
OIL LEAK FOUND (Vans and Medium Duty Trucks)
Replace the air intake clamp with P/N 97376379. Refer to Air Intake Pipe Replacement in SI.
Parts Information
Note
Do not replace the inlet adapter/duct on vans and medium duty trucks - only replace the clamp.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Two Wolves
Heat Sink

My 3500 has around 130k on it. It is a 2016 cab and chasis. We haul heavy (goose-neck with 8 to 15k loads constantly. We run with the scanner plugged in to clear the code as it comes up before limp mode sets in.

I have spent thousands at the dealer on this problem and the DEF issues ... ugh ... but still have the issues. P2002 is the main code but P2263 is a big problem when pulling up a hill.

I have read this thread and still don't really know where to look. So what causes the LML to throw P2263 T/S Charger Boost Sys Perf code? I suppose a turbo leak test or a leak in the air intake system would be a starting point, but that's just a guess. Any direction that would help get me to a solution would help.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wolves View Post
My 3500 has around 130k on it. It is a 2016 cab and chasis. We haul heavy (goose-neck with 8 to 15k loads constantly. We run with the scanner plugged in to clear the code as it comes up before limp mode sets in.

I have spent thousands at the dealer on this problem and the DEF issues ... ugh ... but still have the issues. P2002 is the main code but P2263 is a big problem when pulling up a hill.

I have read this thread and still don't really know where to look. So what causes the LML to throw P2263 T/S Charger Boost Sys Perf code? I suppose a turbo leak test or a leak in the air intake system would be a starting point, but that's just a guess. Any direction that would help get me to a solution would help.
Lots of posts about P2263 Did you search???

I don't have any information about P2263 but here is some on P2002. Why not purchase a subscription to ALLDATADIY or other similar sites? Will save you lots of money and trouble.

DTC P2002

Diagnostic Instructions

DTC Descriptor

DTC P2002

• Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency
Circuit/System Description

The particulates in the exhaust gases are collected by the diesel particulate filter (DPF). When the filter becomes saturated with particulates, they are oxidized by a regeneration process. The regeneration process increases the exhaust gas temperature, heating the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), and the DPF. The accumulated particulate matter in the DPF will then be safely converted to harmless gases and the DPF will then be clean and ready to filter additional particulate matter.

The engine control module (ECM) monitors the system with inputs from two exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensors 1 and 2 and a differential pressure sensor. This diesel particulate filter diagnostic provides a means for monitoring the exhaust particulate filter (EPF) efficiency. The resistive exhaust flow is monitored to determine if a DPF substrate is missing or a defined DPF failure has occurred. The resistive exhaust flow is calculated from mass air flow and DPF differential pressure. This diagnostic will run after a successful regeneration event has completed. This includes a successful service regeneration event.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0545, P0546, P0642, P0643, P0652, P0653, P0698, P0699, P2032, P2033, P2227, P2228, P2453, P2454, and P2455 are not set.
  • A regeneration event must be complete.
  • The vehicle speed is greater than 40 km/h (25 mph).
  • The engine load is greater than 25 percent.
  • Engine Run Time Since Last DPF Regeneration is less than 10 minutes.
  • Distance Since Last DPF Regeneration is less than 30 km (18.6 mi).
  • The Soot Mass is less than 40 grams.
  • DTC P2002 runs once when the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the particulate filter has degraded below a calibrated threshold for greater than 30 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P2002 is a Type B DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P2002 is a Type B DTC.

Circuit/System Verification

1. Verify that DTCs P003A, P0047, P0048, P0101, P0201-P0208, P0234, P0299, P02A1, P02A5, P02AD, P02B1, P02B5, P02B9, P029D, P0300-P0308, P0401, P0402, P046C, P0545, P0546, P2032, or P2033 are not set.
    • If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
  1. Verify that leaks do not exist in the exhaust system. Refer to Exhaust Leakage.
  2. Engine running at idle, perform the following:
  1. Engine coolant temperature greater than 80C (176F).
  2. Command the EGR solenoid with a scan tool to 25 percent.
  3. Perform several accelerator pedal sweeps by rapidly depressing the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle (WOT) and returning the pedal to the at rest position, allowing the engine to return to idle speed for 5 seconds, while observing the exhaust from the tailpipe. There should be very light or no smoke visible from the tailpipe.
    • If a heavy black smoke is observed from the vehicles tailpipe, replace the particulate filter assembly.
Circuit/System Testing

Important: Perform the Repair Verification after completing the Circuit/System Testing.

1. Verify the integrity of the entire exhaust system by visually inspecting for the following conditions:
    • Any damaged components
    • Improper installation. The exhaust differential pressure lines should have a continuous downward gradient, without bends or kinks, from the differential pressure sensor to the particulate filter.
    • Improperly routed exhaust differential pressure sensor lines. The smaller line connects to the front of the exhaust particulate filter and the smaller port of the exhaust pressure sensor.
  1. Remove the exhaust differential pressure sensor lines. Visually inspect the lines for restrictions.
    • If a condition is found, replace the exhaust differential pressure lines.
  1. Verify the integrity of the entire air induction system by inspecting for the following conditions:
    • Restrictions in the air induction system and the turbocharger system
    • Leaks in the intake air ducts and the turbocharger ducts
    • Cracked or damaged MAF sensor housing
    • Inspect for a dirty air filter element
    • Debris blocking the air sensing filaments of the MAF sensor
    • If a condition is found, repair as necessary.
  1. Test the charge air cooler system for leaks. Perform the Full System Air Leak Test in Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full System Air Leak Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Induction System Smoke Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Charge Air Cooler Air Leak Test).
    • If a charge air cooler leak is found, repair as necessary.
  1. Test the engine air induction system for leaks. Perform the Induction System Smoke Test in Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full System Air Leak Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Induction System Smoke Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Charge Air Cooler Air Leak Test).
    • If an induction air leak is found, repair as necessary.
  1. If the air intake system, exhaust system, DPF components, and the charge air cooler test normal, replace the particulate filter.
Repair Instructions

• Exhaust Particulate Filter Replacement (6.6L - Pickup) Exhaust Particulate Filter Replacement (6.6L - Cab/Chassis)
  • Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Regeneration Enable) Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Service Regeneration) for Regeneration Enable
Repair Verification

Notice: Refer to Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Enable Notice.

Certain engine control conditions can cause the DPF to overload with soot. It will be necessary to clean the DPF as instructed to remove the excess soot accumulation. To avoid the customer's return to the service department, perform the appropriate Exhaust Particulate Cleaning procedure that is specified in the provided link.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers

Last edited by Ron Nielson; 05-09-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilbk View Post
All the other clamps as far as I can tell are crimped. I remember reading somewhere about the boots being crimped on with adhesive. If a boot blows off, you have to replace the whole boot / pipe.
After cleaning boost tube most people will use (hair spray)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Two Wolves
Heat Sink

Thanks for the info Ron. I have searched and will continue to do so. The ALLDATADIY site looks like a good place to get some direction for sure. Onward
Old 05-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
jamilbk
Heat Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wolves View Post

For P2002 you may try a service regeneration. If you have an Android device and a bluetooth ODBII scanner you can perform the service regen with Torque Pro and a plugin called BiScan for GM.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in