LML: p0234 p2263 p2599 towing up hill - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
I am not getting any codes according to the dealer. Just won't pull like it did a month ago. 6 to 7 percent grade, pulled 20K gross with ease, now won't pull over 56 MPH. No explanation from the dealer. They cleaned the MAS sensor, that seems to help the mileage when I'm not pulling but drops off mileage and power when pull, don't know where to take it from here.
Take it someplace thats going to do more than clean your MAF sensor. You could of done that. Just because there's no codes there being lazy. I hope they looked at a couple hundred readings that they can do in a short time to see if everything is in spec.

Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L 10,500 dry weight
UAW Local 699 Retired Test Technician

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 05-09-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
navybanker
Self Ignition

Sounds like my problem in fall of 2015. New turbo installed under warranty. No similar problems since. This happened during trip to northwest pulling 15K fifth wheel and finally a dealer in Salt Lake City fixed it.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
cody220501
Low Boost

2016 3500HD Crew Cab Dually stock with 24,000miles. I recently got these codes while hauling approx. 10,000lbs on the bumper about 75mph up long hill, reset codes and moved on. Few weeks later I remembered and started doing research. Ended up taking to dealer and their conclusion was that my air filter was pinched and allowing air around the filter seal, they provided air filter and picture as proof, installed new air filter. I've accepted this answer so far until I can duplicate the scenario and see if the codes are thrown again. Diesel mechanic there said anything that allows extra air availability beyond the stock air filter can cause the overboost condition. Does this sound like a legit answer? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
herbike
Gear Grinder

I took it to an independent shop that was recommended. They ran all the inactive codes, nothing. No active codes. I don't know what else they checked, did a forced regen, said it took over 40 minutes, thought maybe there was a build up of ash.
I won't have a chance to really load it up and see if it has done any good for a couple of weeks. I'm curious if that is all it was. They suggested changing the fuel filter again as I used a NAPA filter, recommended going back to an AC Delco. That I will do in a few days.
Thanks for the replies.
from our home to where ever we can play
with our Polaris RZR, KLR650 or Goldwing
Old 06-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody220501 View Post
Diesel mechanic there said anything that allows extra air availability beyond the stock air filter can cause the overboost condition. Does this sound like a legit answer? Thanks.
Absolutely NOT TRUE. I purchased my truck used in Houston and drove it home to Topeka, KS, about 735 miles, and a couple of weeks later found that it had NO AIR FILTER AT ALL. Ran fine all that time.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
cody220501
Low Boost

Ron were you pulling a trailer or anything?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody220501 View Post
Ron were you pulling a trailer or anything?
No, just getting it home. Funny thing about the air cleaner is that after I got it home, I took it to a dealer to have a 50K maintenance check done and they told me everything was A-OK. About a week or so later, I was looking at a post about the gauge on the intake that tells you how restricted your air filter was and when the filter should be changed. Got to thinking about that and wondered how restricted mine was, looked at the gauge and no restriction, so I opened up the cover, and that's when I discovered NO FILTER. No wonder there was no restriction! It was another month or two before I started pulling the trailer and it had a stock filter element in it by then.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
cody220501
Low Boost

I see. It'll be a few weeks before I get to load up and try to duplicate the scenario again.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
johngeorge
Clutch

I think my truck is fixed now.

At first I replaced the turbo vane position sensor, and that did nothing to the error codes, they still came up. Then I replaced the MAP sensor, I haven't thrown codes yet. Use cruise control and exhaust brake when towning around 70-74mph even up hills I let the truck do its thing.

Towing Jayco Talon 5th-wheel toy hauler with FFR Daytona Coupe #48 Racecar inside all over east coast!
www.johngeorgeracing.com
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Why did you choose the MAP sensor? Great that it seemed to fix your problem, but what let you to that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in