Rubber grommet under hood? And some other questions... - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By heymccall
  • 1 Post By heymccall
  • 1 Post By heymccall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
danbrew
Block Heater

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rubber grommet under hood? And some other questions...

Hi all, I've got a 2015 LML and it has a fairly thick rubber grommet under the hood. I'm guessing it may assist with noise reduction, as it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense that its sole purpose is to keep water out from under the hood. So... this is kind of engine related. Mods, feel free to punt this to a more appropriate forum.

Just how important is this grommet/seal/etc.? I'm installing a ham radio antenna and have a mount that hangs off of one of the bolts on the hinge for the hood - it is shaped such that it peeks out from outside the hood along the seem and will allow me to mount a NMO 2/440 antenna. I don't want to remove that grommet/seal, but I'm thinking that I may cut away or put a hole through it to install the mount. No worries, right? Figure I could put some silicon on it if I need to.

I'm mounting the radio gear in the pickup bed and am working on fabricating a mount that will hold the radios vertically - it's just easier that way for a whole host of reasons (I do have a camper top). I can run power and the antenna to the bed fairly easily, but would like to not have to drill holes. Anyone know if there is an easily accessible drain hole in the bed where I can snake some cables? This is a high country and has the bed liner built in. There are some built in mounting tie down points in the side of the box - I wonder if I knock out one of those plastic covers if the channel goes to the bottom of the bed? Thus making it easier to run power & antenna cables? That would be cool. Finally, I need to run a control cable (essentially an ethernet cable) from the radio to the head unit - from the bed to the cabin. I know I can snake a cable in from the engine compartment to the cab through a seal in the firewall, but wondered if there was an easy way to run a cable from the bed to the cab going through the back or bottom of the passenger compartment?

Any pointers appreciated.

danbrew

Last edited by danbrew; 09-27-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

The hood seal is for two reasons. One, to aid in creating a negative pressure zone underhood, which, in turn, enhances air flow through the cooling system. And secondly, to abate or quell engine noise around the truck. Trimming or modifying a small section will have no ill effects.
As for routing wiring out of the bed, I usually put an appropriate size hole in any of the oval plastic plugs in the bed.
Wiring into cab can be thru the shifter cable grommet under the driver's carpet, or thru any of the aluminum foil sealed drain holes in the cab floor.
Sounds like you need to get a flashlight and creeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

For a little wiring guidance, post #7... https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...r-off-key.html

And here https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...my-2015-a.html
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy

Last edited by heymccall; 09-27-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Elite

Gm upfitters interface https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...letin_115d.pdf

Antenna placement suggestions from GM https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...ulletin_82.pdf

2way radio guidelines from GM https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...lletin_119.pdf
Quote:

Last edited by heymccall; 09-27-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired4ever
Diesel Rookie

Some seriously good info there. Thanks "heymccall" !
2016 HD2500 LML LTZ/71 CC reg bed. Bedrug , Swingout boxes , transcooler cover, AMP step , front hitch, Mamba 20x9 19mm offset with Kumho 275/60R20 AT-51s winter and Michelin 275/65-20 on Ultra's for summer. . Odyssey PC-2150s. ReTrax bed cover. Lloyd's floor mats.Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. 4000/2000 inverter in the bed. Delco performance slotted rotor's and Centric semi metallic pads. Kennedy emissions legal tunes .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in