LML: Turbocharger - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
scottdiesel
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Turbocharger

My 2015 Silverado 2500HD with 11,950 miles on it displayed the reduced power message and check engine light turned on while cruising on the interstate. Cruise set at 66, nothing in the bed, and not towing. I exited the highway and called OnStar. The operator said there were 3 codes, one for the engine, one for air induction and one for the transmission. The operator said it was ok to drive in reduced power to my selling dealer which was not to far from me at the time.

This was on a Saturday so nobody could take a look until Monday. I got the call Monday that the turbocharger was the problem, it was binding, and needed to be replaced under warranty. Turbo was ordered and replaced. I was called Thursday to pick up my truck. I could not pick up until Saturday, which I did. Just a couple of miles from the dealership there was a somewhat loud, whirring noise that drowned out the normal engine a turbo noise. I went back to the dealer and told the service manager. He started the truck and we could not hear the noise. He said he would have someone take a look Monday (yesterday) and drive it. I received a call Monday afternoon.

My truck was driven, and two techs heard the noise I was referring to. I was told the problem was that when the turbo was replaced the seal at the air box was not tightened and was sucked into the newly replaced turbocharger. The dealer is replacing the turbo again on their dime.

I'm concerned that some seal debris may have gotten through the turbo and into the engine. Is this a valid concern? I'm not a tech so I'm not sure. I think on oil change and new filter would not be unreasonable to ask for in case anything debris got into the engine.

Also, is there an history of these LML turbochargers having problems?

Thanks

2005 Silverado LT 3500 Duramax Crew Cab Dually 4x4
Sold - 2006 Silverado Crew Cab
1986 Custom Deluxe C-20

Member #146 of the 3500 Dually Club

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired4ever
Diesel Rookie

Wow I feel your pain. I just traded a LMM 2010 with a turbo problem and all the techs and staff at the local dealer said it was VERY rare to have a turbo go bad on a stock Duramax. Best of luck and we'll hope this was a isolated event!

2016 HD2500 LML LTZ/71 CC reg bed. Bedrug , Swingout boxes , transcooler cover, AMP step , front hitch, Mamba 20x9 19mm offset with Kumho 275/60R20 AT-51s winter and Michelin 275/65-20 on Ultra's for summer. . Odyssey PC-2150s. ReTrax bed cover. Lloyd's floor mats.Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. 4000/2000 inverter in the bed. Delco performance slotted rotor's and Centric semi metallic pads. Kennedy emissions legal tunes .
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
RHallenbeck
Diesel Student

If it did get anything through the Turbo it is most likely lodged in the Aircharge cooler..

Rick

Autumn Bronze Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
DAVe3283
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I wouldn't be too concerned about something getting into the engine. If it was a rubber/plastic seal (that's the impression I got), then it probably just wound up in the turbo and that was it. Even if it made it past, the intercooler is a surprisingly effective filter for any chunks of debris large enough to damage the engine.
135k miles. 6-speed Allison conversion. Quadrasteer 4-wheel steering.

1982 Chevy C10 Silverado 6.2L Diesel RWD Single Cab LB

115k miles. Built 700R4 automatic, 4.11 gears.

Cheap bastage -- guilty as charged.
~~ TheBac
If you try Pee in the urea tank, Ur ine for big problems. ~~ heymccall
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired4ever
Diesel Rookie

So a demand for a " clean-out " including the intercooler would be reasonable?
2016 HD2500 LML LTZ/71 CC reg bed. Bedrug , Swingout boxes , transcooler cover, AMP step , front hitch, Mamba 20x9 19mm offset with Kumho 275/60R20 AT-51s winter and Michelin 275/65-20 on Ultra's for summer. . Odyssey PC-2150s. ReTrax bed cover. Lloyd's floor mats.Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. 4000/2000 inverter in the bed. Delco performance slotted rotor's and Centric semi metallic pads. Kennedy emissions legal tunes .
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sport45
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired4ever View Post
So a demand for a " clean-out " including the intercooler would be reasonable?
Would you want the same guys that messed up the original turbo change to R&R even more of the truck for probably no gain at all?

Last edited by Sport45; 06-29-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
scottdiesel
Diesel Starter

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad this isn't common, wide spread problem. I did a search before my original post and very little regarding turbo problems came up. I was pretty concerned though. The only problem I had of any seriousness with my 2005 Duramax was a seeping rear axle seal.

The dealer has been very good in addressing the problem and was very upfront with the mistake that was made. I have been doing business with this dealer for many years. They are truly a small, family run business that has always been a pleasure to deal with. Not one of those mega, 23 location, carnival barking, *hit shows that won't give you the time of day.

2005 Silverado LT 3500 Duramax Crew Cab Dually 4x4
Sold - 2006 Silverado Crew Cab
1986 Custom Deluxe C-20

Member #146 of the 3500 Dually Club

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in