Best replacement air filter? - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hughes View Post
Aprilwine, I agree with you. When talking about the OEM air filters, which year are we talking about. I know earlier years used the Donaldson air filter as OEM. Since at least 2011,that is no longer true. I switched my air box out to a Volant with the Donaldson Powercore air filter. I did that because of the issues some were having with the plastic piece inside the air box breaking and being sucked into the intake. I believe if someone has a S&B intake, they can get a Donaldson Powercore filter for it.

IIRC, the years(Although I can't remember specifics) that the Dmax could use the Donaldson as an OEM replacement was when the filters were round and not the flat panel type they use today.
I have the S&B intake with the Donaldson on my truck. It seemed to have a bit better throttle response, but that could have just been in my head, however, I do like the idea of better filtration(Efficiency 99.97%), even if it's only a small amount. The Donaldson flows much better than the OEM filter as well (IIRC, up to 800CFM), but on a stock motor, IMHO, I don't think you'd notice much, if any, difference.

Line-X Bedliner and Color Matched Rockers, Allison Deep Pan W/Suncoast Filter Lock, Transynd, Kennedy Lift Pumps W/Filter, Cognito Steering Braces & UCA's, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, GM 6" Oval Side Steps sprayed with Line-X Aspart-X, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra Grapplers LT295/70R/18, Snugtop Canopy, Rigid Dually D2's, S&B CAI w/Cold Air Scoop & Donaldson
Powercore Filter, Edge Insight CTS, More to come, Hopefully.
Taupe Gray Metallic.

SOLD- My loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Last edited by Aprilwine; 05-17-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
diesail
Holstein Supporter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

There has also been several posts about K&N filters fowling the MAF sensor.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
navybuff
Diesel Head

Send a message via Yahoo to navybuff

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO1320 View Post
Well I do use a K&N filter and have on all my vehicles since 1980. My current Duramax has 557k miles it does not use oil, it does not leak, it does not have excessive blow by, and my UOI have low silicone (measurement of dirt that has travelled into the crankcase). I did not buy it for more power, I find it is a more cost efficient method of filtering the air. Most are probably just as well served to use the stock filter. I think the test you see are not very "real world" and K&N filters sufficiently to prevent any damage. I live on a sand road and have towed in all conditions around the country, my UOI results have been consistent for years.
I am curious if you have maintained oil analysis over the life of the engines using K&N?
New Ride:
2015 Silverado 2500HD Z71

"Molon labe"
Proposed 28th Amendment ~ "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
lynn1130
Diesel Apprentice

Likely the silica reading will be higher than normal. I seem to recall that was a problem with K&N and oil testing.
Kennedy Lift Pump
Edge Insight

Sold: 2004 Duramax LB7

2011 3010 Heartland Cyclone HD 35' Toyhauler
Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
navybuff
Diesel Head

Send a message via Yahoo to navybuff

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1130 View Post
Likely the silica reading will be higher than normal. I seem to recall that was a problem with K&N and oil testing.
Exactly... I have a story about this... More later.
New Ride:
2015 Silverado 2500HD Z71

"Molon labe"
Proposed 28th Amendment ~ "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States..."
Old 02-16-2019, 04:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
oldschoolbowtie
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybuff View Post
Exactly... I have a story about this... More later.
curious on that, standing by

2007.5 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Kennedy Custom Tune Banks Intake and 4 " exhaust, Air Dog 150, Leveled front end, aftermarket upper control arms, tie rod end sleeves, bypass oil filter, Pusher 3" "hot side" charger tube, aFe Turbo inlet pipe, PPE deep Trans Pan with temp gage, 2 low mod for front differential disable, PACBRAKE 5000# Air Bags with remote on board air...otherwise stock

1953 Chevy truck 496 2 NOS kits ...otherwise stock

1927 Roadster 383 2 NOS kits chassis car (street legal)// otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in