Help and Guidance. BLOWN Head Gasket - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
mesaman
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Help and Guidance. BLOWN Head Gasket

Hi Everyone!!

First, thank you all for the great information on here. I have utilized this forum for many years and it is chocked full of GREAT information!! Thank you all for your guidance ahead on time.

I have an issue with my 2011 Duramax, and I need a little bit of direction here...

I have a 2011 Crew Cab, Long Bed, D-Max, set up exactly as I need it for towing. It was my dream truck, that finally came true 5 years ago. It has 95,000 miles, is not chipped or anything, and has been babied since the day I bought it, with oil changes every 5K, fuel filter every 15K, tranny flushes, coolant flushes, the whole 9 yards. I have a great diesel mechanic here in town that has taken great care of the truck from day 1.

However, recently, the worst happened, and I sprung a leak in the head gasket; Passenger side, just behind the fuel filter. Slow leak, but persistent.

I spoke to the dealership (of course it is out of warranty by date (4 months)). They actually agreed to fix it for $1,500 deductible, but will ONLY replace the gasket. They dont seem to care to figure out why it failed (warped heads, stretched bolts, etc.) My mechanic is worried that it wont last long (maybe 15K miles) after the repair if they dont properly identify the problem.

So here are my questions...
*What is the likelihood it will fail again?
*Would you trust the truck after that? I use the truck for hauling all over the west coast and into Mexico and need it reliable.
*How to I ensure the dealership fixes it properly?
*The truck still books around $40K. Is it worth trading in?

Your thoughts and direction are GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dmaxmoe
Diesel Head

Could you convince them to give you the head once it's off to take to a machine shop of your choice? The heads(s) should be checked for flatness when they're off for a HG. They might be easier to work with as well if you toss some cash at them to do head studs, drivers side would be 1 at a time replacing bolts.

How long has it been leaking, and has the truck ever been overheated or ran borderline overheating for any amount of time? Things like these would make me consider dumping the truck after doing the $1500 dollar minimal fix.

06 GMC SLT CC SB LBZ, Studded, DP Billet 2.6Stg 2, RDL Manifolds/Ups, AllSeason EGR Delete W/Grid Heater, Adrenaline SS Y-Bridge, Alligator Performance IC Tube, DE DownPipe, 4" BD Turbo Back (no cat), DSP5, Autometer Cobalts, PCV, Airaid, FASS 150, Nicktane, 4" Rancho, CalTracs, SC StageIV/w1056, T-Case Brace, Yukon Grizzly, HD Tierods, Cognito PISK, 35" General Grabbers on Black/Milled Fuel Dunes, Kenwood Head Unit, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" all around, JL Audio 500/1, 300/4, 2 Focal 10" 25A1
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
mesaman
Gear Grinder

Hey Dmaxmoe!!

Thanks for the reply!!

They have assured me that all head bolts will be replaced, as they can only properly be torqued once by spec. The truck is not chipped, and no plans to do so. So I am thinking replacing with stock bolts is sufficient. They will also check the head for flatness and will let me observe the tests to make sure it is proper. I plan to visit the shop every other day to check progress.

The truck has been leaking off and on for about a month now. Small leak, maybe a total of 1/2 quart of coolant has leaked out. No pressure on the top radiator hose, so I am comfortable that it has not leaked internal to the motor. Keeping a close eye on the oil as well.

The truck has never been overheated as far as engine/tranny temp goes. I do not have supplemental gauges to check oil temp however. I do tow a heavy load (~15K lbs.) about once a month around arizona/california/mexico.

Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
jon5212
Diesel Boss

INDP Member

Trust me if you are tearing into it that far, put studs in it. 500 bucks cheap warranty to not have to worry about it again.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
rmoore0852
Diesel Apprentice

Want to hear a horror story about how well the dealership does on head gaskets and how great the stock head bolts are, take a read at this......

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ideas-why.html

It's a long thread, but read it all. Lots of good information about what I found when I had to fix a job done by the dealer.......
2006 2500HD LBZ CCSB 4x4 178k miles, EFILive by ATP, 265/75/16 BFGs, Nicktane adapter w/2 micron CAT filter, Bilstein 5100's, Diamond Eye cat delete, MBRP downpipe, MBRP 4" exhaust with muffler, LML exhaust manifold and heat shield, EDGE Insight CTS, RedHead Steering gearbox, Demco Autoslide 18k hitch, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Transgo Jr with Transynd, MA pump rub kit and transfer case back half, MA transfer case brace, Kennedy single lift pump

Last edited by rmoore0852; 04-19-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

A little dmax head gasket replacement infor:

Duramax Diesel Head Gasket Replacement

(pictures/diagrams will show up in the link, but not in this 'cut and paste')

Duramax Diesel Head Gasket Replacement
May 21, 2015
The following are recommendations and best practices to follow during Duramax diesel cylinder head service or gasket replacement on 2001-2015 Express, Silverado, Savana and Sierra models equipped with the Duramax diesel engine (RPO LB7, LBZ, LGH, LLY, LML, LMM).

Gaskets are Not Interchangeable

The left and right cylinder head gaskets are not interchangeable. (Fig. 6) Improper placement of the cylinder head gasket will block coolant and oil passages. Blocked coolant and oil passages will cause severe engine damage.

F06 gasket

Fig. 6

Surface Cleaning Procedures

Do not use any power type sanding devices. Do not use a wire brush or wheel to clean gasket surfaces. Do not use chemical cleaning agents on gasket surfaces. Refer to Bulletin #00-06-01-012 for more information.

Refer to Service Information and Bulletin #06-06-01-006 for engine block and cylinder head sealing surface cleaning procedures.

Cylinder Head Bolts

During cylinder head servicing or cylinder head gasket replacement, always use new M12 cylinder head bolts. The M8 cylinder head bolts can be reused.

Clean the bolt threads and holes.

Handling Gaskets

Leave the gaskets in the packaging until they are ready to be installed on the block. Once removed from the packaging, handle them with great care.

Do not set the gaskets on workbenches or toolboxes to avoid possible introduction of foreign debris.

Do not use air to blow between the gasket layers.

Cylinder Head Surface

Do not machine the cylinder head surface. Measure the cylinder head for warpage with a straight edge and a feeler gauge. A cylinder head block deck with warpage in excess of 0.1 mm (0.0039 in.) must be replaced.

Installation

It is recommended to install two head bolts, secured to minimal torque (20 Nm), prior to installing the remaining head bolts. This will minimize the chance of introducing other foreign material during installation.

Use a paint pen on the M12 cylinder head bolts during installation to mark the head of each bolt, one by one, indicating which of the four torque steps have been completed on that particular bolt. This prevents skipping a step or doing a step twice. In the end, all bolts should have four paint pen marks.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in