CP4 and Contaminated / Misfuel Issues - Thoughts - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

CP4 and Contaminated / Misfuel Issues - Thoughts

1509-understanding-modifying-high-pressure-fuel-pumps-for-cummins-duramax-and-power-stroke-engines/

Google Link to Government CP4 Failure Analysis on CP4 Fuel Pumps

So the 1st link is to TruckTrend to get a CP3 vs CP4 primer.......and the 2nd link is to a government report on CP4 failures on Volkswagon TDI engines.

Looks like to me the CP4's biggest enemy is fuel contamination (whether user misfuel or tanker / storage tank contamination with water or gasoline).

I am surprised that GM doesn't have an in-line strainer on the Duramax for metal shavings like VW does if the CP4 let's go....but then again, maybe it is moot as small metal shavings are getting downstream anyways....negating the in-line strainer.

So to those of you who have had your CP4's replaced (under warranty or not) was there any discussions regarding contaminated fuel when you had the pump and injectors replaced? Also, do you guys tend to run your tanks down to empty a lot? Or keep them 1/2 full at least before refueling.

Dunno if it makes a difference or not running the tank down, but if the fuel filter can't actually separate water contamination....well there's your problem.

If it's Gasoline or Kerosene getting into the mix, and screwing up the lubrication of the ULSD, then maybe there is some truth to adding a bit of 2-cycle oil to your fill-ups as "insurance".....or Power Service....or your preferred additive. But it seems like a waste of time if you have a good ULSD supply around.

Dunno....just thinking out loud here....

Last edited by 187058; 12-20-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

The delco/raccor filter is an excellent water filter.

Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Starter

Well....forget the 2-Cycle oil....

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
The delco/raccor filter is an excellent water filter.
I thought so, but then you hear the aftermarket guys chime in how they don't work.....especially when you hear about CP4 failures.

Soooo....guys that had their CP4's swapped out....were you on the stock filter or something aftermarket?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
I thought so, but then you hear the aftermarket guys chime in how they don't work.....especially when you hear about CP4 failures.

Soooo....guys that had their CP4's swapped out....were you on the stock filter or something aftermarket?
And stock tuning or upfuelled?
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 12-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Starter

Don't you need a CP3 and CP4 to do that?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
MaxRock
Diesel Boss

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxRock

Lone Star Diesels Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
Well....forget the 2-Cycle oil....

2-Stroke Oil In Diesel ? A Technical Study
I'm' glad you posted this link. I thought I was the only one that didn't like running 2 stroke in my truck. Around 185k miles on my factory injectors, I read the study on another site about adding 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Within 5-7k miles, my injectors went to crap. My thought, that many miles it was just a coincident. Got new injectors and didn't run 2 stroke for a while. Tried it again at about 260k miles and shortly after my CP3 died. I am not running 2 stroke again, it may have been coincidence but I am not taking any chances. I do run bio-diesel every chance that I can.

-Mark
TTT Mirrors, BrakeSmart Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball & 5th Wheel Companion Hitch

430k miles (as of 5/19)

Member #1 of the "Brotherhood of Handshakers" Club

'04 Wildcat 29BHBP 5th Wheel Camper (Sold)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
testdrive
Diesel Boss

The Suburban Club Member

"Looks like to me the CP4's biggest enemy is fuel contamination (whether user misfuel or tanker / storage tank contamination with water or gasoline)".
The biggest enemy of the Bosch CP4 is poor design and has very little to do with anything else. Sure, there are a few case of fuel related problems. These catastrophic failures came to head with the CP4 introduction in GM, Ford, and VW.
The auto manufacturers love to make the motoring public the scape goat and claim that they have induced water, and other problems.

The CP3 runs just fine doing the same job, with few premature failures and with the same folks driving the same engines and using the same fuel. We know that the our gov diesel standard is not the best but the manufacturers have signed off on it never the less.

At the present GM is footing the repair bills much better than Ford. I also think that GM has less failures or has less blow back in the news about it. When someone elects to toss the GM designed fuel filter for some other after market filter, it makes me wonder, as GM and Racor put a lot of engineering money into producing the best that can be made.

DieselPlace.com February 2014 Truck Of The Month

Proud owner of a 2003 Chevrolet Duramax Suburban K2500