Throttle Response - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Throttle Response

While my truck has a lot of power, I am underwhelmed when it comes to the throttle response, especially from a stop. I drove a friend's 2014 gasser and the response was night and day difference. In fact I had to be careful parking it was so responsive.

I know these things are drive by wire, but is there anything that can be done help them be more responsive? BD used to make a rather pricey box that was supposed to help, but I don't see it advertised any more and they don't seem to want to answer email.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Armus
Glow Plug

Only a tune will help this. Duramax tuner has emissions intact tunes which substantially improve this, but regen frequency will increase if you also set the tune for higher overall power levels. A delete tune will do an even better job of eliminating the "dead pedal" and of course regens are no longer an issue.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
cgreen
Diesel Expert

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

I don't get to drive me much in the ice and snow, but wouldn't the progressive throttle be less likely to get away from you when trying to go in the snow and ice. I'm used to my 06 LBZ and we test drove a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was so sensitive, that would be afraid to drive it in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
CarolinaHD
Diesel Technician
Formerly 01silvyz71

NC Dmax's Member

Try an aftermarket lift pump and air intake. There have been multiple reports of improved dead pedal response after just these upgrades. it also won't void the warranty

03 LB7/ZF6 Cab and Chassis 11' flatbed
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
TheBac
Bac To The Future

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Simple!

Push.......pedal.......down.......farther.

j/k Tom....dead pedal is a real problem on those LMLs.

"BBT" -- 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 - 12.14 @ 111.15
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Cruzer" -- 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom
You're missed both at home and on the piano

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Reality is a matter of perspective.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

The trade off is that the LML is much easier to move around at slow speed with out unnecessary wheelspin on poor traction surfaces (like gravel parking and turn around areas).

The response is there if desired, just have to push the pedal further to begin to access it.
Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 12-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
NorCal2500HD
Diesel Head

Big part of it is the lazy GM programmed throttle mapping vs previous gen trucks. Either tune as mentioned, or a warranty friendly closest alternative is something like the BD Throttle Booster. Dead pedal is still there but the pedal response overall is much improved.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Armus
Glow Plug

The Sprint Booster / electronic throttle amplifier only helps if the throttle is never pressed too far, i.e. only at low throttle levels. Remember it cannot apply more than 100% throttle.

I've also heard some air scoops help. One fellow on the other forum did a writeup on the Banks scoop. Despite some fit and finish issues it did help throttle response somewhat.

I'd be interested in trying the lift pump as well. Something I'll probably need eventually anyway.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
SS Crew
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus View Post
The Sprint Booster / electronic throttle amplifier only helps if the throttle is never pressed too far, i.e. only at low throttle levels. Remember it cannot apply more than 100% throttle.

I've also heard some air scoops help. One fellow on the other forum did a writeup on the Banks scoop. Despite some fit and finish issues it did help throttle response somewhat.

I'd be interested in trying the lift pump as well. Something I'll probably need eventually anyway.
Try driving on the freeway with the Tow/Haul switch on, that'll seem to some of the lag out. It won't be as good as a delete tune, but it will help.

2011 Chevy 2500 HD LTZ Crew Cab LML - Leveled with 305-55-20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
MotorOps Delete tune
DPF delete
Corsa muffler
RIP:
2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Crew Cab, 20" Weld Veociti 8's w/ 305-50-20 Yokahama Parada Spec X's
Old 12-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom S.
Diesel Ace

I'm not sure (or convinced for that matter) why changing the air system or adding a lift pump would help. I'm looking at low end response - like 0 to 10 MPH. Neither lift pump or air system should have any effect at that point. Note I'm not looking to do burnouts, just more response. I did find a BD unit on line from a third party but at $270, it's pricey for being a 'possible' fix. I also find it strange that it's not even listed on the BD web page.

Former Member #13 of the 3500 SRW Club

Press 1 for English - Press 2 to learn English - Press 3 for Immigration

"Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?" Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in