Diesel Place banner

Throttle Response

59K views 207 replies 34 participants last post by  Armus 
#1 ·
While my truck has a lot of power, I am underwhelmed when it comes to the throttle response, especially from a stop. I drove a friend's 2014 gasser and the response was night and day difference. In fact I had to be careful parking it was so responsive.

I know these things are drive by wire, but is there anything that can be done help them be more responsive? BD used to make a rather pricey box that was supposed to help, but I don't see it advertised any more and they don't seem to want to answer email.

#2 ·
Only a tune will help this. Duramax tuner has emissions intact tunes which substantially improve this, but regen frequency will increase if you also set the tune for higher overall power levels. A delete tune will do an even better job of eliminating the "dead pedal" and of course regens are no longer an issue.

#3 ·
I don't get to drive me much in the ice and snow, but wouldn't the progressive throttle be less likely to get away from you when trying to go in the snow and ice. I'm used to my 06 LBZ and we test drove a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was so sensitive, that would be afraid to drive it in the snow.

#6 ·
The trade off is that the LML is much easier to move around at slow speed with out unnecessary wheelspin on poor traction surfaces (like gravel parking and turn around areas).

The response is there if desired, just have to push the pedal further to begin to access it.

#8 ·
The Sprint Booster / electronic throttle amplifier only helps if the throttle is never pressed too far, i.e. only at low throttle levels. Remember it cannot apply more than 100% throttle.

I've also heard some air scoops help. One fellow on the other forum did a writeup on the Banks scoop. Despite some fit and finish issues it did help throttle response somewhat.

I'd be interested in trying the lift pump as well. Something I'll probably need eventually anyway.

#9 ·
Try driving on the freeway with the Tow/Haul switch on, that'll seem to some of the lag out. It won't be as good as a delete tune, but it will help.

#10 ·
I'm not sure (or convinced for that matter) why changing the air system or adding a lift pump would help. I'm looking at low end response - like 0 to 10 MPH. Neither lift pump or air system should have any effect at that point. Note I'm not looking to do burnouts, just more response. I did find a BD unit on line from a third party but at $270, it's pricey for being a 'possible' fix. I also find it strange that it's not even listed on the BD web page. :confuzeld

Reactions: TiredFarmer
#12 ·
Yes the BD will do what your looking for. Been running mine for about a year and its amazing how different/sluggish the truck feels when I pull it out. I can't stand the stock throttle mapping on my truck.

There are two levels on the BD (high and low). The high is crazy sensitive and I only ran it for about a week before switching to the low setting which feels about perfect and can still easily maneuver at slow speeds when hooking up 5er.

#13 ·
Tom, once your right foot learns the new relationship between pedal distance and truck response, you'll forget you ever were worried about it.

If you've got moveable pedals, try setting them a bit closer.

Reactions: ace1usmc
#27 ·
I understand that. 100% is 100%, no matter where the throttle pedal is positioned....

#26 · (Edited)
Lots of opinions here from many who have never actually used one.

1) Will not void your warranty. It's not a tuner
2) Will absolutely change the way the truck drives/feels for the better.
3) Does not cure "dead pedal". I define dead pedal as traveling ~30mph, switch lanes and mash the pedal to pass and the truck falls on its face before taking off.
4) yes it is absolutely overpriced IMO. When you open the unit and see what it consists of. Pretty simple electronics.

Would I buy one again? Probably

#28 · (Edited)
It doesn't matter, Tom is smart enough to put that $270 towards a Duramaxtuner and enjoy that truck without concerns about warranty. He's just messing with you about this BD unicorns and rainbows stuff!

#32 ·
I will agree that the OEM filter does filter better than the aftermarket filters but it doesn't flow better in most cases, but it is more than adequate for a stock or mildly modified engine. The only air filter I'm aware of that filters and flows better than the OEM filter is the Donaldson Powercore G2 sold by Volant.

#34 ·
Very interested....My 2015 is a sled compared to my LBZ. No reason to push so far down to get the truck moving....

#35 ·
sheesh apparently there are a lot of broken legs around, can't push the pedal

On the JMS Pedalmax - There is less than $20 worth of plugs and circuit board in that thing - but hey, if it spins your wheels

#41 ·
If they did, it's the best kept secret out there...

#43 · (Edited)
Have the guys who have this problem looked into running an EFI program? Do some adjustments to a couple tables to fix the off-idle response but leave everything else alone?

Or is this something they're afraid will void warranty so its a no-go?

#47 ·
I did a little more research and stumbled onto a plug in throttle booster that amplfies the signal coming out of the pedal and knowing it didn't program the ECM, I decided to give it a try. Now, I know that there is nothing better than a good tune for these trucks, but I'd figure I'd give it a try and see...Well, for me..It works! Granted it does not add more power and 100% is still 100% throttle, but it pretty much eliminates the foot to the throttle to get the truck moving. Makes it more sensitive in the first 25% movement of the pedal. And no warranty issues to boot...Should hold me over until the warranty runs out and the exhaust falls off...

#49 ·
The throttle booster is made by JMS electronics and its call the PedalMax.BD Diesel makes one, but I liked the PedalMax better. You can get it with an optional knob to dial in how much boost you want or it comes with a plug you can attach that dials it down to 60%. Excellent build quality and the support is top notch. Makes the pedal a bit more sensitive and makes the truck feel lighter on its feet.

Reactions: IdahoSteve
#50 · (Edited)
Did you buy the optional knob or just use the plug in that dials it down to 60%. I read another thread on the Duramax forum about a member there that bought the JMS for his 15 and he is really happy with it.

#55 ·
Just made my order! :clap:

If anyone else is interested in a great price, see here: JMS PX1015GMK, JMS PedalMAX Throttle Device | JMS
That's a great price! However, I looked on the JMS website and discovered this:

Your complete satisfaction is our primary goal. All parts and services offered by JMS Chip & Performance have undergone evaluation to insure the highest level of quality and performance, however, the industry standard is there is no warranty on our products.
That, and the fact that the Jegs ad doesn't say anything about a warranty, leaves me wondering... :confuzeld

#57 · (Edited)
That's a great price but I'm wondering if there isn't something newer JMS is putting out. That warranty thing is interesting too. Darned if my cynical nature didn't get the best of me again. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.