2011 LGH service regenerating all day, soot down from 89 to 81 grams. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

2011 LGH service regenerating all day, soot down from 89 to 81 grams.

So I am working here on my future motorhome project - 2011 Express 4500 shuttle bus, 156k miles. It was used by Enterprise rent-a-car in Miami airport.

I bought it as is with "crank no start" and later discovered the famous CP4 failure. Replaced the CP4, fuel rails, fuel filters, put brand new injectors in it - and now it seems to be in the ENGINE POWER REDUCED mode all the time, and I get codes, including the P2463.
I have a Tech 2.

I started doing service regenerations, the truck has been high revving pretty much all day, burned approx. 7 gallons of diesel and all I achieved is the soot level went from 89g to 81g.

I am not sure if regenerations really work on this truck, as the Tech 2 shows "DPF Regeneration Status - Inactive" when commanded on, but "Post-Injection" does change to "Active".
There has been a calibration update from GM for 2011 LGH to address Service Regen issues but it seems that my ECM is already updated:

Please note that 2011-2012 LGH do not use the HCI (9th injector) for Service Regeneration.

The Max EGTs I observed were these:

It does not go towards 800C like the bulletins suggest.

Current very weird issues:
1) ECM conflict of interests! I'm doing this in SoCal, so it is warm outside. Coolant temp needs to be above 70C for the Regen to work, but during the Regen, the ECM activates the EV fan clutch for some reason, and my temps quickly go down from 92C to 67C at which point the Tech 2 displays this and quits:

I tried unplugging the fan clutch, it helps to keep the temps up but it registers 3 fan clutch codes and then regen doesn't work.
I even had to remove the clutch, unbolt the fan blade and connect it back together, to help keep the codes out and temp up. But I had to put a regular household fan in front of the radiator to cool it down, cause it overheats otherwise. I do not understand why I have to do this.

2) Actual/Desired Fuel pressure control follows me up to 85 MPa at idle but won't go higher. Injectors are brand new from eBay ID desmoparts (ebay item ID 381457973661)

3) Most of the time it's just P2463 - "DPF Soot accumulation", but sometimes it throws me a bunch of counter-intuitive codes, such as P128E, P0087 (Fuel Pressure Low) and P0088 (Fuel Pressure High) simultaneously:

Is my fuel system working properly? Is the CP4 pressure being limited due to P2463?
Should I spend a few more days trying to do service regenerations? Should I replace the whole DPF at $2000+? Is my problem somewhere else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

These things can be tricky once the system gets outside the normal parameters. Sounds similar to one that I recently did:

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...pf-rescue.html

I honestly don't think it would have worked had I not applied a tune to it first.

2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
I honestly don't think it would have worked had I not applied a tune to it first.
Very interesting. I only have Tech 2 so far. What does a tune do to a service regen process so it could finally work? As far as I understand it, my soot does not burn because of not high enough EGT temps, and why they do not go high I do not know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
jon5212
Diesel Boss

INDP Member

You are in California, otherwise I'd say to do a full delete on it along with a tune.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

So I left the truck sitting for 3 days, and at the time the Soot Level was at 81g. Today I came to perform the Service Regen again but it shows me this: .

I figured I would do a regen anyways, it runs stable at 2000RPM but EGT won't go over .

Currently the only problem is that Fuel Rail Pressure won't go too high at idle, sometimes I get P0087. New pump, New rails, New 8 injectors.

What could be the culprit? Please help.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

Hard to say what is up with the fuel system. Did you replace the secondary regulator?

It will not do a proper regen until you get past the DTC's. I can't say for sure if all DTC's lock it out or not, but it's beginning to appear that way.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT [email protected] 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 1000+ mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Old 12-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

Yes I did, although I'm not sure if there is a specific tightening procedure, as it has a lock nut. I tightened it, and I don't see any fuel spray around it.

Current codes P0087 and P128E. When trying to accelerate, as fuel demand increases, engine bogs down badly:

It goes up a very steep hill at 2mph. Can make it go 30mph on a flat road.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

Do you have a lift pump and/or have you measured fuel supply side restriction?

Old 12-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Do you have a lift pump and/or have you measured fuel supply side restriction?
No lift pump [yet], as I just bought this truck in non-running condition. Do you suggest I buy your vacuum gauge?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
artementy
Glow Plug

okay, so I purchased the Kennedy gauge and here it is.
Ignition ON, engine OFF, prime pump running:

Engine ON:

So it seems the supply side is okay. Injectors are brand new, what else could be the issue? Truck bogs down when attempting to drive, and throws P0087, P128E and sometimes P0088. FPRV? FPR1?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in