Error code P21DD - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
flippindc3
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

She already has 203,000 miles. I bought it with 192,000, previous owner averaged 15,000 miles a month! But well maintained. I suppose she is bound to have a few issues at 200K

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
redwngr
Diesel Expert

Clearly, it's beyond warranty!

Sold 2004.5 LLY Sierra 4x4 ECLB SLE
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
MNW
Gear Grinder

My 2013 GMC 2500 has this code, I took it to the local dealer here in Savannah and it is covered under the emissions warranty which they told me is 5yrs or 70k on the the mileage. They have the parts in stock and i hope to have it back today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
MNW
Gear Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNW View Post
My 2013 GMC 2500 has this code, I took it to the local dealer here in Savannah and it is covered under the emissions warranty which they told me is 5yrs or 70k on the the mileage. They have the parts in stock and i hope to have it back today.
Well my truck has been in the shop 2 days now, the dealer had the most of the parts..... They had the DEF module that fits on the tank and they got the tank, however when they got the tank they found out that it does not have the DEF heater in the tank. So they now have to order the HEATER and they could not find one nearby at another dealer. I have been told that the heater will be in today and SHOULD have my truck back today. My advice is......if you have to have the DEF tank replaced to remind them that it does not come fully equipt ready to install and insure they order the heater.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Silver Bullet
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

I landed this lucky code today! P21DD...I am 37 months and 91K miles, so it looks like it will be outta warranty.

I don't understand why the entire tank is being replaced if it is just the heater piece. I say that after watching this video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agMhVPwBvY

-----
Current
2018 Chevy 3500HD SRW LTZ 4WD LB CC D/A (L5P)
2016 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS
-----
Previous
2013 Chevy 3500HD SRW LTZ 4WD LB CC D/A (LML)
2008 Keystone Cougar 289BHS 32' 5'er
2002 Chevy 2500HD LT 4WD SB CC D/A (LB7)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
MNW
Gear Grinder

Steve, i don't know why it was replaced either. They told me that it comes as an assembly with everything in it. When they got the tank it did not have the heater.
I guess its my luck that they replaced all of it.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Silver Bullet
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

I spoke to my service writer this morning...part is on backorder, but she told me it is covered under the engine warranty (5yr/100K). I was surprised it is covered under the engine and not the emission control, but I am not going to look that gift horse in the mouth! I just have to hold out until next Wednesday as that is the earliest they can get me a loaner. No limp mode, no limp mode, no limp mode, no limp mode, no limp mode...

-----
Current
2018 Chevy 3500HD SRW LTZ 4WD LB CC D/A (L5P)
2016 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS
-----
Previous
2013 Chevy 3500HD SRW LTZ 4WD LB CC D/A (LML)
2008 Keystone Cougar 289BHS 32' 5'er
2002 Chevy 2500HD LT 4WD SB CC D/A (LB7)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
will92104
Diesel Apprentice

I know this is an old post and many of you may already know but GM came out with a special coverage for this. 10 years or 120000miles. Mine is in service for this issue now.
Stirring the pot club member #1
Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by will92104 View Post
I know this is an old post and many of you may already know but GM came out with a special coverage for this. 10 years or 120000miles. Mine is in service for this issue now.
Campaign - DEF System Components Warranty Extension

# 14652: Special Coverage Adjustment - Diesel-Emission- Reduction Fluid Tank - (Jul 7, 2015)
Subject: 14652 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Diesel-Emission-Reduction
Fluid Tank

Models: 2010-2012 Chevrolet Express
2011-2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD
2010-2012 GMC Savana
2011-2012 GMC Sierra HD
Equipped with 6.6L Diesel Engine (LML/LGH)

Condition

On some 2010-2012 model year Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles and 2011-2012 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles that are equipped with a 6.6L diesel engine (LML/LGH), a malfunction-indicator light (MIL) may illuminate due to an offset in the temperature sensor in the diesel-emission-reduction fluid (DEF) tank reservoir, increased tank-heater resistance, or reductant-system performance.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the DEF tank reservoir and/or supply module pump. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 7, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 7, 2015, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Parts Information

Service Procedure

Verify that the Emission Reduction Fluid Tank Reservoir or Pump Module requires replacement. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI.

If either the Emission Reduction Fluid Tank Reservoir, or Pump Module does NOT require replacement, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.

If the Emission Reduction Fluid Tank Reservoir (2) or Pump Module (3) requires replacement in the DEF tank (1), refer to Emission Reduction Fluid Tank Reservoir Replacement or Emission Reduction Fluid Supply Pump Module Replacement in SI.

Customer Reimbursement - For US

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer by July 31, 2016 unless otherwise specified by state law. If this is not convenient for the customer, the customer may mail the completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form and all required documents to the GM Customer Assistance Center. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

All reasonable and customary costs to correct the condition described in this bulletin should be considered for reimbursement. Any questions or concerns should be reviewed with your GM representative prior to processing the request.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

A completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form. This form is mailed to the customer or can be obtained through GM GlobalConnect.

The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.

Paid receipt confirming the amount of the repair expense, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

Important : GM requires dealers to approve or deny a reimbursement request within 30 days of receipt. If a reimbursement request is approved, the dealer should immediately issue a check to the customer and submit an appropriate warranty transaction for the incurred expense. If a reimbursement request is denied, the dealer MUST provide the customer with a clear and concise explanation, in writing, as to why the request was denied. The bottom portion of the Customer Reimbursement Request Form may be used for this purpose. If the denial was due to missing documents, the customer can resubmit the request when the missing documents are obtained, as long as it is still within the allowed reimbursement period.

Warranty transactions for customer reimbursement of previously paid repairs are to be submitted as required by GM Global Warranty Management. Additional information can also be found in Warranty Administration Bulletin 11-00-89-004.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by July 31, 2016. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.

- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

All reasonable and customary costs to correct the condition described in this bulletin should be considered for reimbursement. Any questions or concerns should be reviewed with your GM representative prior to processing the request.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

There's this coverage
29400-01: Special Coverage – Diesel Emission Fluid Tank Reservoir – 2013-2015 (Nov. 8 2017)

Last edited by G2GBY; 12-29-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
IdahoSteve
Diesel Champ

Thought I'd revive this thread today, as I just got this code with my 14' with only 9,200 miles on her!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in