LML: CP4 Bomb? - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
alboy
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rob1 ,what year of truck are you working on?It looks as though they have changed somethings on the pump as per diff casting numbers,thxs for the pics.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
rob1
Diesel Apprentice

I think its a '13 but I'll double check tomorrow at work

Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Jager
Diesel Boss

Thanks for taking the time to show us the photos. Nice write up.

2007 Newmar Essex 4510 Diesel Pusher, Cummins ISL 500hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4Life86 View Post
I have looked at the Kennedy pumps. Im not sure why exactly but to me they do not seem very "user Friendly". Could just be my lack of experience. I see everyone ranting about how good they are! They definitely seem a little more difficult to install then the Air dog or the Fass pumps. It could just be that they are designed different.
I have installed a few of Kennedy's lift pumps and will say they are quality. One of the biggest things I have against the Airdog and Fass is if the pump quits you are beside the road whereas the Kennedy one is a flow thru pump design. Just my $.02.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
alboy
Freeze Plug

IM somewhat encouraged that there have been some obvious changes to the pump.Interesting enough GM has been Quiet about it,Ford as well.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
turbovanman
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
He called the dealership and they said if he was using that Wix filter he may be screwed. He will find out this week what the damage is and I'll report as I am very curious.
Interesting, how are they going to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Reading bulletins the pump is the primary failure causing metal filings throughout fuel system and particles flow through return lines to tank, which then gets recycled to feed side again - thus particles through whole system.
Yep, just like the VW TDI's, takes out the whole fuel system. When they first started failing, $15K repair bill, now its down to something like $7500. VW of America is repairing all of them under warranty, VW of Canada, nope.

Pretty said buying a new vehicle is worse than playing russian roulette.
1984 G20 Diesel Get a Way Van, 6.2L turbo. Rebuilt 1989 700R4, 3.08 gears. Fluidamper, modified hummer headers, 2.5" mandrel Y-pipe to 3 inch single system, Hooker Max Flo muffler, 3 inch F350 mandrel bent tailpipe-passenger side exit, 6.5L turbo lower intake, 6.5 military IP-5149, Turbonator open faced injectors set to 2500 psi, HX35W with a 60x86mm cast wheel at 15psi, ARP studs, .010" head gaskets, bypass oil system, Dmax van fuel pump/filter combo, Aeromotive fuel pump. REMOTE MOUNT TURBO INSTALLED!!!! Burning hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, WMO.
2003 VW Wagon 2.0L TDI auto, silver, heavily modified-Wife's.
2004 VW Wagon TDI 5 speed-blue-also modified-Mine!

1989 Dodge Caravan ex daily driver, 2.5L TIII DOHC Turbo, GT35R, [email protected] mph.

2002 Gold Dmax 4 door, 2500HD 4x4-new camper/trailer hauler-minor mods and a small tow tune!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
GM4Life86
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
I have installed a few of Kennedy's lift pumps and will say they are quality. One of the biggest things I have against the Airdog and Fass is if the pump quits you are beside the road whereas the Kennedy one is a flow thru pump design. Just my $.02.
That actually a good point. And thanks for letting me know!! I have read about the Kennedy Pumps and maybe i just overlooked that part. I do not remember seeing that they are flow thru design. But that is definitely a plus for sure. That might just have been what i needed to hear to make the purchase.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ld-begins.html <---My Build Page!

2001 Sierra 1500HD CCSB SOLD
2007 Impala Full Magnaflow Exhaust-Sold To Mom
2003 Silverado Z71--SOLD
1998 Chevy Blazer--SOLD
1996 Chevy Caprice 5.7--Totalled
1996 Chevy Camaro Z28--SOLD
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
willydmax
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4Life86 View Post
That actually a good point. And thanks for letting me know!! I have read about the Kennedy Pumps and maybe i just overlooked that part. I do not remember seeing that they are flow thru design. But that is definitely a plus for sure. That might just have been what i needed to hear to make the purchase.
No problem. Glad to be of some assistance Good luck on whichever one you choose.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
KD4UPL
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
There are issues with the new HPFP's but if I had to guess failure rates are probably less than 5%. To me even if it is 1% it is an issue because if they fail it is a catastrauphic failure that will cost a ton to fix. I'm not convinced this is gonna be a LB7 type issue where there is a high likelihood you'll have to replace injectors in almost every case, because there are some high mileage LML's out there with no fuel pump problems whatsoever.

From my research I think the best thing you can do is to try and get good fuel from a reputable place, use a Lubricity additive, change filters often, and don't tune it unless you run a lift pump.

No one I know has ever had an issue with the fuel system in an LML until just last week when my buddy was having issues starting his 2012. It wouldn't start on the first crank and even on the second attempt it was extended. He changed filters and it started ok, then he hauled some water to his cattle and filter life went from 100% to zero in just a few miles. Put another filter on now it won't even start. He had been using the plastic wix filter and admitted to me it had been a long time since he had changed the filter, like 30,000+ miles! My guess is he had a dirty or plugged filter and got some bad fuel and may have wrecked his pump. It only has 60K on it. He called the dealership and they said if he was using that Wix filter he may be screwed. He will find out this week what the damage is and I'll report as I am very curious.
Okay, fill me in, what's wrong with the Wix fuel filter? I use them occasionally if I happen to buy from Napa. I've heard that Wix and Napa are the same. This is on an LLY, maybe that makes a difference.
'07 3500 reg. cab, 4wd, D/A Sold
'96 Dodge 1500 quad cab, 4wd, auto, 5.9L Sold
'69 Chevy C-10, swapped 307 V8, TH-400 Sold too cheap
'09 Chevy 2500 Suburban
'04 Rinker Captiva 232 boat
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
Doodle
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
Okay, fill me in, what's wrong with the Wix fuel filter? I use them occasionally if I happen to buy from Napa. I've heard that Wix and Napa are the same. This is on an LLY, maybe that makes a difference.
Those filters don't have the coalescing media like the Delco/racor filters do. That media helps to trap fine water particles. I also believe they are a lower micron filtration. I have also heard the internals of the wix inferior to the oem. I'm sure others can chime in.

18" wheels
LT265/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
B&W Turnover Ball

Previous
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LMM
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in