'12 LML using coolant - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
04LB7GMC
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

'12 LML using coolant

My 2012 has been using or loosing coolant for about a year or so now. Back in February the dealer replaced the lower radiator hose and overflow tank. It's still losing it somewhere but there's no sign of it anywhere. I'll be taking it back to the dealer soon. What else could it be? Upper radiator hose was not hard when the engine was cold so I think the head gaskets are ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
gave20
Diesel Apprentice

better get an oil analysis too

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
GM Customer Svc
Official GM Rep

04LB7GMC,

I understand you're experiencing some coolant concerns with your LML and are seeking some insight from members on the forum. I'd be happy to contact the dealer on your behalf and look into this further for you. Don't hesitate to send a private message if I can be of any assistance. Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.
GM Customer Care
Available Monday-Friday 8am - 4:30pm EST

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
NorCal2500HD
Diesel Head

Was the overflow tank they replaced a different design? In the last couple of months I was slowly loosing coolant and could not find a leak. Took it into the dealer a few weeks ago and they also couldn't find a leak but replaced the overflow tank (new design per TSB) which looks different than my old one. So far it has held up and I'm no longer loosing coolant.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
04LB7GMC
Clutch

The new one they put in looked similar to the one that came with the truck, I'll have to look into that. Also my oil doesn't smell or look like there's coolant in it.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LB7GMC View Post
My 2012 has been using or loosing coolant for about a year or so now. Back in February the dealer replaced the lower radiator hose and overflow tank. It's still losing it somewhere but there's no sign of it anywhere.
A possibility is the EGR cooler. When these leak, they leak into the engine intake while it's running and the coolant is burned in the combustion chambers, so you don't see it coming out anywhere. I've been told it's impossible to externally test for the EGR cooler leak because it only leaks at high temps and only when the engine is running, and then not all the time when the engine is running, so very sporadic. No way to tell if this is true or not. If every other possibility is eliminated, this MAY be the problem. Pretty expensive to fix if you're paying out of pocket, about $1200 at a dealer/shop.

I jut had a leak from my truck and it was the o-ring in the lower radiator hose. I didn't think there was a leak, but coolant level did go down ever so slightly over time. Couldn't find the leak by looking at the truck, but happened to catch a fresh leak (just a drop) on the garage floor, plumbed up to the lower rad hose and sure enough, it was leaking. Easy fix.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 10-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
elkhornsun
Self Ignition

I would bet that there is a GM Service Bulletin covering this. Always a good place to check first with these trucks.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Champ

My 2011 had the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Cooler problem. A weld in the cooler was faulty, allowing tiny amounts of coolant to get into the exhaust returning to the engine through the recirculation cooler. It would use about a half pint of coolant a month. The way it was PROVEN, was to send a sample of the engine oil to a lab - I used Blackstone Labs - and it came back with traces of coolant chemicals in the oil. You MUST get an oil sample analysed, as suggested by gave20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in