Where to buy DEF fluid - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
idahopool
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

All the short and long haul truckers buy DEF at the pump. I can't imaging anyone but a DEF dealer buying it in a container. :-)

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Just Horsing Around

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windooxp View Post
When 99% of warranties are DEF related I need that paper trail, my truck is at the dealer right now with these issues, codes were P204B and P202E
I really don't need to hear that my DEF is out of date or contaminated
Thinking back on this some more, IMHO you're more likely to find stale DEF sitting at a dealership vs a higher volume dealer such as a third party retailer.

If dealerships sold diesel fuel but charged 50% more than the truckstop down the street (which is about what the story is with DEF), which one do you think would have the fresher diesel?

Over the years I've seen a LOT of bottles of various fluids sitting around dealerships that have clearly been sitting there for YEARS. DEF could be no exception.

But ultimately, your choice, I agree..but I'd still rather buy it at a truckstop where I know their DEF bulk tank is getting filled multiple times per week as opposed to a GM dealer where that gallon jug you're buying may have been sitting there a year, or worse, multiple years if the guy who restocked the shelves didn't rotate the bottles correctly and put fresh in front of old. DEF will "age-out" sitting on a shelf.

Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Helping a friend: Duckies Longarm Quilting Oshawa / Durham Region!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
udflyer98
Diesel Head

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

I generally buy mine at Rural King because it's $8 for a 2.5 gallon jug. Doesn't look any different than what Wal-Mart sells or what the dealer dumped in at delivery.

The dealer I bought my truck from (Byers in Columbus, OH) told me at the time that they had to delay some vehicle deliveries due to not having DEF on hand to fill the truck. I would guess any dealer that sells diesel trucks regularly is keeping their stock rotated.

Brotherhood of Handshakers #9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
dsword
Diesel Rookie

Good info on DEF.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in