LML Oil Analysis with Banks Intake for LML and Synthetic Oil - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
INTJ
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

LML Oil Analysis with Banks Intake for LML and Synthetic Oil

The attached oil analysis shows the results of running a Banks intake on an LML while using synthetic oil (Rotella 5W40). The first sample was taken at approximately 5500 miles. I added about 3/4 quart of oil (combination of 1/2 qt oil burn and about 1/4 qt loss with the sample), then sampled again at approx 9000 miles. The oil filter life indicator said there was 9% oil life remaining.

The high copper content is a characteristic of the DMax oil cooler. Note that the viscocity is unchanged after almost 9000 miles--that is the strength of synthetic oil.

Silicone is used as a measure of how well an air filter is working. The first sample show a low level of silicone, the second showed showed a higher level but still in the normal range. Iron and potassium showed a similar trend. Therefore it would be acceptable to run the oil to 9000 miles with the Banks. However, I will change at 5000 miles as I want to keep everything very clean. For me to exceed the 5000 mile interval, I'd have to be running a bypass oil filtration system.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Analysis 2012.pdf (151.7 KB, 231 views)

Previous Trucks:
- 2002 CCSB 4x4 w/Sun Coast Stage IV, Kennedy Race Tune, Tuff Country Lift, Kennedy Lift Pump, Nicktane, 4.1 Gears
- 2009 XCLB Z71, Banks Six Gun
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
hogracer3d
Diesel Apprentice

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Here's mine on 11 LML with Valvoline Extreme Blue Full Syn 15-40 @42K miles, also with a Banks intake, and 9K miles on oil

Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
chargeit
Diesel Head

Kansas Chapter DP Club Member

Looks good.

I understand you are wanting to establish a baseline and confidence but you are throwing away money on 5k oil changes and an oil analysis especially if using syn.

Given the high milage driven: Use a quality oil filter like Donaldson, Amsoil or even the higher quality WIX. Pull samples at 10k and run til 30k.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
k8do
Diesel Apprentice

Hmmm, talked to an RV dealer hot shotter who averages 70K a year.
Says he could run 100K a year but he doesn't need the extra money at his age and he likes to hunt, etc.
Uses a semi synthetic oil and his oil changes run longer than we do - 25K on average.
Usually runs the vehicles past 200K before trading.
Has used all three brands in the past 16 years.
Likes Duramax - has had 3.
Says Dodge engines are OK, but not happy with ride and handling.
Currently running the new Ford - 42000 miles in 7 months - and says it is a good engine. Likes the cab.
pretty much standard equipment

011 2500HD Z71/4X4 CC/SB Bright Red LT
plow package dual alternators 18" wheels and tires more bells-n-whistles than I can count
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
P.W.
Diesel Apprentice

afp1,
Are you using the banks super scoop also with the CAI? Might get cleaner air up front instead of thru the fender???
Might help with the silicon in your UOA

P.W.
ENGINE--Magnaflow striaght piped, BD exhaust manifold, Resinator removed, egr by pass, Kennedy Diesel EFI live performance/ tow tune (70HP), Kennedy univeral maga filter and dual lift pumps,diamond eye downpipe,AFE intercooler tube. 4.10 gears in diffs, Mike L tranny cooler,
Aligator tranny lines PC1220 Odyssey Betterys.
INTERIOR-- Tripple pillar pod, Isspro EV2 gauges egt, boost, fuel pressure, weathertec floor liner.
SUSPENSION & STEERING-- Sulastic shackels, Exaxt Steering, Cognito 4-6 NTBD, Bilsteins 5100 x4. 18x9 +14 offset Fuel Offroad Octane wheels, Toyo Open country 285/70/18, Large fender mod. PPE rear diff cover
EXTERIOR--Amp Power steps, line-x extra bed, over the rails and rockers driver and pass. undercover swing tool box's, truxedo bed cover, gm rear wheel well liners, debaged, front windows tinted 15%, 5% visor tint. All lights on mod, 35 watt 5000K HID lights Highs, lows, fogs, Por15 frame paint

Last edited by P.W.; 11-18-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
CaptD
Diesel Starter

I think you would get dirtier air up front unless you were never behind anyone....
H&S Mini Maxx (just have to push the button to install)
Cognito 4-6 lift (5" in front- 3" in rear)
Fox Shox
Sulastic Shackles
Pittman arm and idler arm braces
Bushwacker Cut-Out fender Flares (Color Matched)
33x12.50 Toyo MT's on 20" Moto Metal Wheels
Recon smoked tail lights w/Recon smoked 3rd brake light
Du-Ha under seat storage compartment
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
P.W.
Diesel Apprentice

I was thinking the opposite, getting the air through the fender where the wheel is always kicking up dust canít be the cleanest air available.

My two cents,
P.W.
ENGINE--Magnaflow striaght piped, BD exhaust manifold, Resinator removed, egr by pass, Kennedy Diesel EFI live performance/ tow tune (70HP), Kennedy univeral maga filter and dual lift pumps,diamond eye downpipe,AFE intercooler tube. 4.10 gears in diffs, Mike L tranny cooler,
INTERIOR-- Tripple pillar pod, Isspro EV2 gauges egt, boost, fuel pressure, weathertec floor liner.
SUSPENSION & STEERING-- Sulastic shackels, Exaxt Steering, Cognito 4-6 NTBD, Bilsteins 5100 x4. 18x9 +14 offset Fuel Offroad Octane wheels, Toyo Open country 285/70/18, Large fender mod. PPE rear diff cover
EXTERIOR--Amp Power steps, line-x extra bed, over the rails and rockers driver and pass. undercover swing tool box's, truxedo bed cover, gm rear wheel well liners, debaged, front windows tinted 15%, 5% visor tint. All lights on mod, 35 watt 5000K HID lights Highs, lows, fogs, Por15 frame paint
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
INTJ
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
afp1,
Are you using the banks super scoop also with the CAI? Might get cleaner air up front instead of thru the fender???
Might help with the silicon in your UOA

P.W.
Banks doesn't have a super scoop for the LML. Besides, I am fine changing oil every 5-9K if it means I get to run the Banks. I think the biggest cause of silicone for me was all that hunting on gravel roads I did this summer.

Previous Trucks:
- 2002 CCSB 4x4 w/Sun Coast Stage IV, Kennedy Race Tune, Tuff Country Lift, Kennedy Lift Pump, Nicktane, 4.1 Gears
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
P.W.
Diesel Apprentice

Can you guys running the Banks CAI tell any difference in throttle response, turbo whistle, ect over the stock air filter system?

Thanks for your time and help!!
P.W.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
INTJ
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Low rpm throttle response is signficantly improved. Not other significant difference. I have posted on that in detail. I don't pay attention to turbo whistle so I can't tell you about that.

Previous Trucks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread