Your thoughts ideas - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011-2016 (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011-2016) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
1cowboy
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Your thoughts ideas

Just bought 2010 Jayco Seneca RV tow rating=8000lbs. Powered with Duramax 6.6L turbo Diesel C5500 w/Allison 1000 transmission. RV weight=26000. Towing Hyundai Veracruz LTD (approx curb weight=4200 lbs) on dolly. Will this do the job without too much struggle? Have some rolling hills to deal with. Formerly had Ford V10 gas. Worked well enough, but the few hills (and some normal rises in roads) had frequent downshifting. Know nothing about Duramax et al. Would appreciate your suggestions, tips etc. Non technical please...I'm a dummy! Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Primed2win
Diesel Apprentice

If you are used to towing a similar set-up with gas you are going to fall in love with your D-Max on the first trip. The Dmax/Ally combo will handle your job sooooo much better you will be amazed. Enjoy and have fun.

Rhino liner spray in-liner
Truxedo tonneau cover
Precision-Fit seat covers

Otherwise bone stock til the lift goes on
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
1cowboy
Low Boost

Hey Primed, you made my day! Wow! Thanks. The only difference with the gasser set up was I towed a Jeep Wrangler w/tow bar. Towing a dolly with different car will be new experience. You betcha we'll have fun! Although first couple of times out I'll be a bit spooked sittiing higher and looking like a Diesel trucker big boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brad92
Diesel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad92

Lone Star Diesels Member

You will be fine. Diesels rock for towing!
Reg Cab Member #105
Young and Poor Club Member #18
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
1cowboy
Low Boost

Feelin' good!

Hey Brad et al:

You guys are making me feel good! Thanks for the kind words. I've probably found a new set of friends among the Diesel crowd!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
1cowboy
Low Boost

'nother ???

Should I take the Dmax out of OD when in rolling hills since I'll be towing car on dolly so the engiine won't have to work so much? I don't use cruise in this situation either. When it finally flattens out do I go to cruise. Appreciate your patience with a Diesel novice. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Primed2win
Diesel Apprentice

The only time I take my LMM out of O/D while towing is on longer steeper climbs or descents. You are pulling around enough weight that you may need to be a little more proactive with smaller hills. However, that my preference. There are a ton of guys on here who do all their towing in O/D and let the Allison decide what to do. It does everything REALLY well. Believe me after your first trip your concerns will largely evaporate.

Rhino liner spray in-liner
Truxedo tonneau cover
Precision-Fit seat covers

Otherwise bone stock til the lift goes on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in