Disappearing coolant - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
asm225
Diesel Rookie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Disappearing coolant

My 1996 6.5 turbo diesel has always mysteriously disappeared coolant. My truck currently has 420,000 miles on it and I drive cross-country regularly.

It has a new all aluminum radiator, new water pump, and all new coolant hoses. There is no puddling under the truck, and I cannot spot any leaks. There is no coolant in the oil and no bubbling in the coolant reservoir.

However, it disappears a gallon of coolant between fill-ups (5-6 hours on the interstate).

Please help and send suggestions!?

1996 EC 6.5 GMC C2500 Kojo tune on stock vacuum controlled turbo actuator, Bosch boost gauge with Glowshift Boost Bolt, 409K miles on stock engine, smokes like a steam boat since I purchased with 300k miles. Still running
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
MojaveMuse
Heat Sink

maybe the cap isn't seating right allowing the coolant to boil off and escape?

you already said no milkshake or drips. are you smelling coolant at all when you walk in front of the truck when warm?

Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
asm225
Diesel Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveMuse View Post
maybe the cap isn't seating right allowing the coolant to boil off and escape?

you already said no milkshake or drips. are you smelling coolant at all when you walk in front of the truck when warm?
The cap is seating properly and is only a few years old. I do not smell any coolant. And that would be a lot of coolant to evaporate. The thermostats are new also, 190
1996 EC 6.5 GMC C2500 Kojo tune on stock vacuum controlled turbo actuator, Bosch boost gauge with Glowshift Boost Bolt, 409K miles on stock engine, smokes like a steam boat since I purchased with 300k miles. Still running
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
asm225
Diesel Rookie

At this point, I mostly fill with water, but I have noticed orange dexcool drips on the transmission pan and rust around the starter. All freeze plugs are visually intact
Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
asm225
Diesel Rookie

Is it possible to have water leaking around the intake gaskets?
Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
dieselolds
Ronald Reagan fan

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

With nothing on the ground and your loosing coolant I’d pull the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system.Then get under the truck and see if coolant is dripping while the system is under pressure.The 506 engine block would develop hair line cracks from the oil jet orifices under the upper main bearing and would spread to the cylinder walls.I don’t mean to alarm you but it’s just something to keep in mind if no leaks are present externally.
1996 GMC Sierra ext.cab Z71....with new genuine GM 6.2 660 short block,4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads,82' 6.2 rocker arms,acdelco TP1069/Racor 20S fuel filters,4" diamond eye exhaust,3.73 G80 locker,stanadyne injectors

1996 Chevy K1500 Z71.....with '99 6.5 506 goodwrench van engine,88-93 6.2 diesel Napa y-pipe,'87 700R4,acdelco TP630F/Racor 20S fuel filter setup,Bosch non-turbo injectors,stanadyne blue tag 5088

1993 Chevy K1500 Z71...with 97' 6.5 TD 506 block,82' 6.2 rocker arms,stanadyne injectors,stanadyne blue tag 4911,DSG girdle,reman 89 700R4,Banks boost/pyrometer gauges,acdelco TP1069/TP943 fuel filter setup,4 diamond eye exhaust/2 piece crossover

2008 Mercedes Benz E320 3.0 V6 turbo diesel

2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI

Last edited by dieselolds; 03-23-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
asm225
Diesel Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselolds View Post
With nothing on the ground and your loosing coolant I’d pull the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system.Then get under the truck and see if coolant is dripping while the system is under pressure.The 506 engine block would develop hair line cracks from the oil jet orifices under the upper main bearing and would spread to the cylinder walls.I don’t mean to alarm you but it’s just something to keep in mind if no leaks are present externally.
Would that cause water in the oil?
I'll give it a shot when I get back home.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
mp06011999
Diesel Mythbuster

Is the 6.5 like the LBZ where the tranny fluid runs thru lines in the coolant flooded cooler? And thus, if there's a seal issue, coolant could be getting into the tranny?

I don't want to brag... but this is like the 5th "End of the World" I've survived.

Democrats: abolish ICE... free health care for illegals... make it easy for illegals who cross to stay... give illegals the right to vote... adamantly oppose building a secure border... create "sanctuary cities"... grant illegals in the country amnesty... welfare for illegals... tip off illegals about ICE raids.
And we're supposed to believe that Democrats aren't for open borders simply because they say so?

Old 03-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Elite

Check the coolant crossover quick connect on top of the engine.
That crossover is famous for leaking without notice and just show white powdery coolant residue.

Moral of the story, that leak will never shows up on the floor because it is so high and will evaporate in a few seconds.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

cracked head

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in