No power to lift pump - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

How about at the relay socket? If you pull it out they usually have a diagram on them showing the pin numbers and locations. The switch contracts are 87 and 30. I don't remember which is which but one of those should be +12 all the time and the other one is the one that leads down to the pump. IF you have power at one of them and then install a jumper between them that should send power down to the pump.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Twalch0301
Low Boost

I’ll test that when I get home. So one should have constant power and the other should have power with the key turned?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Does the ORANGE wire at the OPS have 12v. all the time.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
uberhund67
Diesel Fanatic

your 30 pin should be power all time
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Twalch0301
Low Boost

Thanks for the info. Hoping to try out some of this week or weekend at the latest and let everyone know what is going on
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
serDenis
Self Ignition

May come in handy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200325_182627_1585128456088.jpg (26.9 KB, 2 views)
l_/_|_[__T__]
[---T--[-OlllllllO-]
())""""()) "**" ())
Old Today, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
buckskin0369
Block Heater

I don't understand why people keep chasing this gremlin . Just run a ground from your lift pump to the frame and a fused hot wire from any wire that's hot with the key on . The way these things are wired from the factory with the OPS is just a safety so if you lose oil pressure it will shut down the engine to prevent further damage . A little heads up IT WILL RUN LONG ENOUGH TO DESTROY IT ANYWAY .

1993 GMC 1500 with a completely stock 6.5L
Old Today, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

The OPS is there to stop the lift pump in the event of an accident.
It is not foolproof, but if you were stuck in your upside down truck and the lift pump was pumping fuel all over the place....
Unlike gas engines, these diesels will run just fine with the lift pump not working.
Not recommended, but that is the way it is.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in