Question: 500 miles from home and.. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2020, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
JSarge
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

500 miles from home and..

Ladies and Gents.. really needing some urgent advice.

96 K2500 6.5L w/ a 4L80E/241 combo. 252k on the clock.

Today I drove the ol K from Central Florida to Kennesaw GA for my Yamaha dealer training. Truck didn't miss a lick up until Valdosta when I started to smell something. Pulled off for fuel, and wouldn't you know it .. a trans leak. Unfortunately, coming from what looks to be the inspection cover.

The stick read within the hot level while idling In park, so I bought a few quarts of castrol Dex to be safe and went on my way expecting to pull the trans when I got home to replace the input shaft seal.

Well about 50 miles down the road, the truck aquired an odd clattering noise only while descending without power.

I stopped again. HOLY ****. the leak became much worse. I was about a quart low, and it was everywhere under the truck.

Topped it off to level, and continued to creep to my destination, stopping and checking the fluid level every 50 miles.

Fortunately, I am posting this from my cozy hotel room and can Uber 2 miles up the road...

But the clattering is now at idle and low speed however nearly disappears above 2k rpm. The leak is active and horrid and I will be cleaning the hotels parking lot.

Torque converter?

Btw, engine has normal oil pressure, zero loss of power, and the trans still shifts normally under a conserving acceleration. OD seems to be working as well. Really sounds like a bearing.

Please help lol. I'm really up shits Creek being 500 miles from home, and need to figure out if I can 'affordably' pay a local shop to handle this during my week stay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

[ '94 Chevy C2500 6.5TD 4L80E/G80/3.73 "F" TRIM - Ext Cab/Long Box ]
PMD Relocate, Spool Stick, DiamondEye 4" Turbo-Back, Key-On LP Relay, Leroy's Oil Cooler Lines

[ '95 GMC C2500 SLE 6.5TD 4L80E/G80/3.73 "F" TRIM - Ext Cab/Long Box ] Rebuild Thread: Click Here!
SOLD

6.5 FAQ L@@K!: Click Here!

Last edited by OkDually; 03-02-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: prefix adj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If you are beyond super-lucky, maybe your torque converter has a drain plug and it's come out. You could remove the access panel and reinstall it (or install a new one, or just plug it with something).

After that, I have no experience with 4l80e failure modes. Could be the torque converter is damaged/broken or the seal/bushing at the front of the transmission input shaft has failed (and the transmission oil pump is right there, so it would pump fluid out...).

It might be cheaper and pricing more deterministic (but with some risk) to find a used transmission & possibly torque converter with the right stall) to swap into your truck and get you home. Depending on where you are and what's failed, it could take some time to get parts for it, and then there's figuring out what all is wrong, and it could be a full transmission rebuild...

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 03-02-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
JSarge
Diesel Nut

Found a reputable shop in the town I'm in, and go figure he was a technician in the military and wrenched on nothing but 6.2s back in the day.

As soon as I rolled in he said...flexplate or flexplate bolts, and the seal is gone.

Pulled the inspection cover, no signs of overheating the converter (thanks to my dilligence) but anyhow- Im hoping for no damage to the pump bushing, and just needing flexplate/bolts and a seal. It will be torn into tomorrow am.

PMD Relocate, Spool Stick, DiamondEye 4" Turbo-Back, Key-On LP Relay, Leroy's Oil Cooler Lines

[ '95 GMC C2500 SLE 6.5TD 4L80E/G80/3.73 "F" TRIM - Ext Cab/Long Box ] Rebuild Thread: Click Here!
SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSarge View Post
Found a reputable shop in the town I'm in, and go figure he was a technician in the military and wrenched on nothing but 6.2s back in the day.

As soon as I rolled in he said...flexplate or flexplate bolts, and the seal is gone.

Pulled the inspection cover, no signs of overheating the converter (thanks to my dilligence) but anyhow- Im hoping for no damage to the pump bushing, and just needing flexplate/bolts and a seal. It will be torn into tomorrow am.

Sharp mechanic. I wouldn't lose his name and ph. no.
Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
bk95td
Diesel Prodigy

Chances are very good that it took out the pump bushing-bearing and then took out the seal.
Chances are good that the flexplate broke to get enough movement to take out seal and bearing.
I just got done dealing with the torque converter bolts coming loose and 3 falling out. Not enough movement to take out bearing and seal.
Same truck had a broken flexplate when I bought it and it did take out the bearing and seal.
94 K2500HD 6.5td 4L80E new reman engine
94 K2500HD 6.5td NV4500 Std cab LB
2-94 K1500 Ex cab 6.5TD 4L80E 1-LB parts truck 1-SB
94 k25000 Suburban 6.5td 4l80E
95 tahoe 2 dr 6.5 4L80E needs HG or engine
95 k2500LD 6.5 4L80E std cab bad trans
95 k2500hd 6.5 4L80E ex-cab
2-95 K2500 Suburban 6.5TD 4L80E both need engines
97 k2500hd 6.5 4L80E std cab
97 k3500 C&C 6.5 4L80E std cab needs engine
98 k2500 hd 6.5 4L80E std cab bad trans
Old 03-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

If the flex plate let go it might be wise to go ahead and change out the front pump while you are there. if cash is tight maybe a junk yard front pump would do. Better to be safe than having to do it twice.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPro View Post
If the flex plate let go it might be wise to go ahead and change out the front pump while you are there. if cash is tight maybe a junk yard front pump would do. Better to be safe than having to do it twice.
For jsarge;

Pull-a-part @ norcross ga

hope this helps hoss.

Ya got friends nearby bro dont forget. to me that's what this place is about.
18:1, soon to be 16:1
Arp Head / Main Studs / Girdles

I'll get back to this later...

Last edited by jnlperformance; 03-03-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
JSarge
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
For jsarge;

Pull-a-part @ norcross ga

hope this helps hoss.

Ya got friends nearby bro dont forget. to me that's what this place is about.
I appreciate you brother.

She's on the road.

Long story short, for whatever reason the transmission has been out of the truck..God knows the history. I was missing a TC bolt (probably rocked loose but it was not discovered) .. the rest were finger tight.

So, front dowel of the TC was trashed, flexplate was trashed, front bushing and seal of the trans was trashed.

Reman converter, new flexplate, new bushing and seal and a trans service... $1300 later, I'm on the road and headed home.

The mechanic at the shop was a Ford transmission tech prior, and had the knowledge to pull and replace the bushing. Trans seems to shift quite a bit smoother than prior..but I do now also have a new filter and synthetic fluid.

Send me your prayers. 700 miles to go.

SOLD

Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Elite

At least you found somebody who can fix it correctly.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 03-06-2020, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
JSarge
Diesel Nut

Well unfortunately my prayers weren't answered this time..

Made it to Ocala (130 mi from home) and it started jumping out of gear. Hearing an occasional wine up front..now it will go into gear and stay in gear for a very short period of time. Then all gears are the same as neutral.

I want to assume the front pump took a dump.. but I'm clearly not going to pull with this transmission anymore.

So again, current condition, Start truck, Will drive down road and have all four gears. After about 1 minute of run time, It will hop out of gear and basically being neutral. The only way to get it to go back in gear is to stop, turn the truck off, Wait a minute or so, crank it back up and continue.

SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in