help! slapping sound and smoke after injector replacement - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
johnH123
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

help! slapping sound and smoke after injector replacement

I just replaced the injectors on the passenger (turbo) side. I replaced the drivers side a couple weeks ago- all are new ACdelco. I started it up and let it run for about a minute last night to purge air, and then shut it off. Anyway, this morning I started the truck up and let it warm up. I drove down to the gas station a few miles away and noticed a slapping/knock noise, as well as a blueish white smoke from the exhaust. Looking closer the sound is definitely coming from the passenger side.

So far I pulled off the intake tube and wiggled the turbo compressor wheel to make sure it wasn't hitting and making noise, and it isn't.

Could there be something other than injectors that failed when I started it up this morning? Its cold out, and i didn't plug it in last night so it was a little grumpy. Thats not injector related though (probably).

I've had nothing like this before this morning. I didn't particularly notice anything off when I first started it- I did notice it sounded a little more diesel-y/rattly than usual, which I attributed to the sound of the new injectors, considering they hadn't ever been used before, they probably need some runtime to get completely lubricated by the diesel.

What are your thoughts?

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 silverado 2500hd CC/SB, 4x4, 6.0 vortec, 229k miles when I traded it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
johnH123
Diesel Apprentice

Also forgot to mention: I pulled the oil filler cap and there is very little blowby. The oil pressure looked good as well. Coolant is full.

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 silverado 2500hd CC/SB, 4x4, 6.0 vortec, 229k miles when I traded it.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Are you using a fuel additive in each tank of fuel?
Have you gone through and inspected the glow plug system?
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
johnH123
Diesel Apprentice

Yes, I use TCW3 oil mixed with powerservice silver.

I know that some of the glowplugs need replaced. I have them, I just need to put them in. The drivers side are all good for sure (replaced with injectors).

I'm not too worried about the grumpy startup, but rather what its doing when running. I think I may have a nailed injector. I went out there and started it up and revved it a little, it has a slight, slight miss. Also of course the slight bit of blue smoke.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
Yes, I use TCW3 oil mixed with powerservice silver.

I know that some of the glowplugs need replaced. I have them, I just need to put them in. The drivers side are all good for sure (replaced with injectors).

I'm not too worried about the grumpy startup, but rather what its doing when running. I think I may have a nailed injector. I went out there and started it up and revved it a little, it has a slight, slight miss. Also of course the slight bit of blue smoke.
It's possible there is a bad injector. You can pull them and pop test to get a visual of whats going on.
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Injectors need to break in?
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
johnH123
Diesel Apprentice

Heres a video:

I didn't show itin the vid, but there is visible blue smoke. Usually there is a puff right on cold startup but now it is constant blue smoke haze.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Leaking return hose @ injector or fuel rail. That's exactly what that sounds like...

Be sure to look at each fuel rail @ injector carefully with flashlight in the daytime. A gleam around the base of the fuel rail where the nut is at and/or the bottom of the nut then the fuel rail is leaking. The returns can be a bit harder to determine but they typically gobb fuel out when a major leak occurs that would cause injector knock. Look at the block beneath the turbo manifold and check for hints and allegations of fuel residue. Dont forget to thoroughly examine the #8 return PLUG. They like to fail. Also... the return line retainer clamps... they get a little weak over time and can leak after reinstallation. Easy to damage them when you remove and reinstall them as well. It's also easy for a "not completely seated" return line slip by...

If its NOT leaking and your darned sure of it then it's a faulty injector (pop pressure out of spec, mechanical failure, etc)

hope this helps.

Always pop test injectors prior to installation otherwise your working blind... better to know what psi you're working with before you go through all the trouble.

Last edited by jnlperformance; 11-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
johnH123
Diesel Apprentice

Good info. Would a return line issue cause all the smoke out the tailpipe?

Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Yup. Depending on severity of leaking, can cause;
Rough idle
Nasty sounding clatter
Alot of white/grey-ish smoke
Missing
Knocking
A very severe leak will cause smoke under the hood (diesel hitting hot block and exhaust headers)

Last edited by jnlperformance; 11-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in