Crank, start and 3 seconds later dies - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Crank, start and 3 seconds later dies

Hi everyone.

I'm new in forum and also in diesel engines (i have 10 year experience in gasoline engines).

A friend of mine (auto technician), came to me with a 96 OBD2 engine rebuilt 6.5 Suburban TD (i'm guessing is the only one in my country).

The truck owner has 4 stanadyne 5521 IP's and 4 or 5 PMD's. Non of them starts the engine for more than 3 seconds.

Since i have checked more than 180 rpm at cranking, more than 10 volts in battery while cranking, all glow plugs heating when i power them with battery directly, current drain during glow plugs activation, no air bubbles in fuel lines, 12 psi in lift pump, good compression, correct firing order, injectors shooting in the air. My next direction is to check injection timing. Am i missing something?)

I have scope CKP(1), CMP(2) and high resolution signal(3) wave forms.

(1)Power CKP is steady at 5volts, ground is getting pcm and signal is negative pulse (all the time 5volts and falls to 0v at TDC). All back probed in pcm connector.

(2)Power CMP (inside IP) is steady at 5 volts, ground is getting pcm and signal is positive pulse (all the time 0 volts and rising to 5 volts when is suppose optical sensor gets TDC of every cylinder. TDC of cylinder #1 pulse is about 3 times wider than others. All back probed in pcm connector.

(3)Same story. 512 pulses from 0 to 5 volts.

Here is the issue. I have seen CKP and CMP signals are not in phase. I mean, they are not triggering at the same time.

* Is that normal?
* Do any of you guys have a known good wave form?
* Is this know good wave form in iATN database?

When engine starts for 3 seconds, it rise to 1450 rpm aprox. (Measured in scope and scanner datastream). At that point, pcm cuts fuel control solenoid signal.

*Is pcm protecting engine for over speed?
*Is pcm protecting engine from ckp/cmp misalignement?

Please let me know your comments. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

I forgot to mention there is a P1643B dtc (related to pwm circuit). I am not sure about this code, since my scanner is not original gm, but it reads 5 datastream.

Supposing the code is true, what does it mean? (In this diesel engine/pcm)

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Code 1643 is from a 1997-up diesel, WTS lamp circuit problem.
1996 does not have that code, circuit functions differently.
A 98-up diesel will have your same problem if security is triggered.
The PCM lets the engine start then immediately shuts off injection.
Has the engine run with that PCM (the computer)?
Have you tried to start it with the OS unplugged?

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

Thanks for your prompt response.

I have confirmed year vin number ("T" letter). So maybe my scanner in lying.

I tried with OS unplugged, same thing.

The only clue i have about PCM, is the sticker number (please see attached pictures).

*How did you know 96 year doesn't have that code?
*Can you direct me to that kind of info? I mean service bulletins, TBS, everything related to how this pcm works. Thanks.

What are those security conditions that triggers pcm?

Service manual says ckp pulse match one to one with cmp pulse.
Does it mean one cmp pulse per one ckp pulse (counting) or (counting + trigger timing)?

Thanks in advance again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20191010_144803_1570761729652.jpg (36.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P_20191010_133256_1570761776122.jpg (1.41 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P_20191010_133542_1570761790606.jpg (1.52 MB, 1 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

Lots of info here, see the FSM's.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...5-answers.html

I know these diesels inside and out and am kinda familiar with the electrical.
The 96 does not have that code because the WTS lamp circuit is different than the 97-up trucks. The PCM does not turn on the WTS lamp on a pre-97, so no code to set, the programing is not there.
Since you are getting that code it must be a 97-up code.
FYI the 96 thru 2002 OBD2 diesel PCM's are the same, the difference is the programing.
Using a 98-up program on a 96 or 97 requires the security be turned off at the PCM, the other components needed for it to work are not there.
Try unplugging the OPS, fuel heater, WIF and main transmission connectors and see if things change. A problem with those items can cause the PCM to trip out.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

Ok Thanks. I'm going deeper about OPS, WIF and transmission conectors and then let you know.

About PCM, I'm seeing two options. PCM was swapped and security features are still active (because p1643 code showing up) or scanner is lying me (i have tried two diferent generic scanner brands). I gonna try to get a tech 2 scanner.

Cheers.

P.S. please keep an eye on my earlier questions. Thanks
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Expert

What is happening to the engine, is exactly what happens when the security system disables the engine. Starts for a few seconds then shuts off.
Is the security light on or flashing after engine starts?

If Americans ever allow banks to control their currency. First by deflation then inflation. The banks will deprive the people of all property. Until their children wake up homeless.
1998 GMC K1500 WT, 6.5 TD. 80,000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears. Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support. KOJO tune WOW! Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast, GM8 turbo with Hurricane impeller. K&N filter. Ported, gasket matched upper intake. Leroy's braded stainless steel oil lines.
New Bosch injectors. Flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 Bridgestone AT summer tires. 12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTs winter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.

Last edited by Tommygunner; 10-11-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

Has the burb ever run correctly with the PCM you have?
A 96 does not have a SECURITY lamp.

Last edited by Glagulator; 10-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

Hi guys. Update of today.

Oil pressure switch signal (D5 pin at pcm) is working as it should. 12 volts during key on for the first 10 seconds (due to lift pump relay activation). Then 12 volts when cranking (i suppose due to oil pressure).

Today i confirmed with owner he has never changed pcm and it was working properly (which drives me to think scanners are lying to me).

I tried with transmission, water in fuel and oil pressure switch connectors unplugged. Nothing changed. OPS is new.

I checked fuel heater resistance. It's more thank 100kohm (it's pretty high, isn't it?). Anyway, i think it is necessary only for winter? Average ambient temperature here is about 24 celcius (75 fahrenheit).

Something weard i found, is fuel heater connectors has 3 wires. Black (a), pink (c) and yellow/black (b). (a) & (c) are shown in service manual (power and ground). (b) is not in service manual. That wire is connected to ground. Is this a signal and is shorted to ground?

I checked for fuel temperature (thermistor inside IP). Voltage is about 4.2 volts (C8/C1 pins).

I checked also MAP sensor. Voltage is about 1.98 volts (baro pressure here is 82 kpa/24.2in/hg).
Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
guafa
Low Boost

About your questions. Thanks.

*No warning lights on the dash.

*If i let the air heats through glow plugs before cranking, it starts with huge energy and three seconds later, it dies. If i crank it immediately (no time for glow plugs to heat), it delays one second to start, then starts with less energy for three seconds and dies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in