Question: I need a 6.5 guru - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2019, 08:14 PM  
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

grtpumpkn just needs the 95 long block, no need for any other changes, just swap it over.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 08:18 PM  
grtpumpkn
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Dhoa!!!,, that is what I was hoping someone on here woulda also known, if the trans bolt up was the same for both standard or auto trans between both years, cause I didn't want to waste the money on the 95 donor truck and take them both apart just to find I wasted all that time and money and be left with 2 apart trucks, ya know? And if everything from the 96 (which is the truck I would be putting the donor 95 engine in) bolts onto the donor engine the same,, then the 96 harness should fit on all the 96 components! All I am looking to do is taking the engine out of the 95 stripping it down to just the long block, putting all the 96 components on it, and sticking it in the 96! Each reply I am getting starts off where I feel good what I am reading, then getting confused as I read on as it seems i might not be explaining what I am looking to do well enough?!

Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM  
grtpumpkn
Low Boost

Thanks LinePilot! yeah I know about starting fluid,, I hot wired the lift pump to be constant, cracked the front injector line till I saw fuel coming out,, then just shot a bit just to hear that initial, possibility, kinda sorta, like it mighta fired if it were set up to run well! Someone did one heck of a wire butcher job on this truck!,, y? I have no idea,, but before I put any effort or even money into purchasing this truck for it's engine 1, I wanted to be sure it wasn't another blown boat anchor and it sounded as if it would at least turn over without any knocking, and if it would possibly pop just a bit giving me the hope it would fire if everything wasn't butchered! Annnd 2, that I would find someone well versed in these engines enough to know if the 95 long block only, would be able to replace the 96 where everything from the 96, tranny, alternator, sensors etc,, all would fit on the 95 long block and it would bolt right in,,, before I spent the money on the donor truck and ripped them both apart! Cause if the possibility that it might not work for the application I am looking to use it for,, then I wouldn't buy the 95 truck and just have the 96 truck sit until I pulled the engine and just sent it out to be rebuilt?! Which it would sit because I already have a 149k 6.5 1999 diesel engine sitting at the machine shop for the past few years already waiting to get finished,, for another sweet truck I have where the 6.5 tanked!!!! yup! I see I am big on the run on sentences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM  
TankerYanker
Heat Sink

If you did not personally (in person) see and hear this engine running, which I believe you didn't, you better be paying scrap price for that boat anchor you're about to gamble on. Sellers nowadays are more prone to lying than they are breathing. Buyer beware. If you're getting that boat anchor for free, it might not even be worth it depending on what happens. If all of the gambling pays off...........I will be shocked and stunned, and I will celebrate your victory with you. That is, if you come back and share your success story.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM  
grtpumpkn
Low Boost

Thanks TankYanker! Yeah,, I know these engines are usually good weight for a truck load of scrap metal! Evvveryone I know gives me a good kick in the *** for buying another 6.5 truck, especially when I already have one that I had nothing but issue after issue with until it blew up at only 149k. But I will come back and let you all know how things went!! It may be a while because I am financially handicapped,, but I will be back on to let you know yay or nay either way!!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 AM  
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinePilot View Post
" I heard it turn over, sounds like it wanted to maybe kick with starter fluid, but didn't!"

It is highly recommended to NOT use starting fluid with these engines. You can do a lot of damage very quickly. Glagulator or OKDually could probably tell you exactly what can happen if you do.
You can blow out the precombustion chambers (pre cups) right into the block. So hard in fact itll leave divers or impressions into the deck. Head damage. Irreparable damage... most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in