Fluidampr help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fluidampr help

Hey gentlemen,

I've been looking for a Fluidampr that will fit this engine. My understanding is that it is from a deconstructed military Humvee.

I plan on replacing a 93 manually injected 6.5L with this one. From what I understand, this one should bolt right in and it is an optimizer engine block.

I'm not sure of the year on this motor, but I have posted a picture of the engine number if any of you might help me with the model number of the Fluidampr that I need. I do not know if there is a difference for damping in a manually injected as opposed to EFI 6.5L engines.

Found a couple on ebay. the model numbers they put out are 800141 and a 800191, or what about a Fluidampr 890101 Pulley kit.

Keep in mind that I will being bolting on all the accessories from my 1993 Manually injected 6.5L -- INCLUDING the manual injection.

Thanks guys for any info. I appreciate your input.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191004_191239a.jpg (77.0 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
LinePilot
Self Ignition

The 800191 is for mechanical pump...800141 is for electronic pumps, the 890101 is for 6.6 L Duramax engines. You can verify this by looking at the Fluidampr website.

'95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500 2x4, reg cab, long box, 4L80E, 3.73 rear, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Expert

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Either one will work...

You will need to remove the front cover on the motor, on a DB2 pump motor their is NOT a reluctor wheel behind the balancer their is a blank spacer..

On a DS4 electronic motor their IS a reluctor behind the balancer, this is where the computer gets a crank signal from..

Do this, remove the balancer that is on it now, remove the front cover, take a pic and post it here so we can be sure..

The 800191 HAS the spacer used with a db2 manual pump, IF the balancer you pull off has a LONG snout and no reluctor then this is the one you want..

You DO NOT want the pulley kit, it plainly states it's for a duramax, you will use the same pulley you have on the 6.5...

owner Twisted Steel Performance
Head Porting, Ceramic coating

like us on Facebook

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinePilot View Post
The 800191 is for mechanical pump...800141 is for electronic pumps, the 890101 is for 6.6 L Duramax engines. You can verify this by looking at the Fluidampr website.
Perfect, I will call them tomorrow. My question is whether it hinges on just EFI or manual, as the replacement engine was EFI, but will be used with a manual pump. Thank you for the info tho, I'll search that website a little more thoroughly.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
Either one will work...

You will need to remove the front cover on the motor, on a DB2 pump motor their is NOT a reluctor wheel behind the balancer their is a blank spacer..

On a DS4 electronic motor their IS a reluctor behind the balancer, this is where the computer gets a crank signal from..

Do this, remove the balancer that is on it now, remove the front cover, take a pic and post it here so we can be sure..

The 800191 HAS the spacer used with a db2 manual pump, IF the balancer you pull off has a LONG snout and no reluctor then this is the one you want..

You DO NOT want the pulley kit, it plainly states it's for a duramax, you will use the same pulley you have on the 6.5...
I have both engines on stands now and just found the replacement engine, does not appear to have a chain drive, but a gear drive for the cam.

I was wondering what the electrical cable was to just behind the balancer on the replacement engine, that must be the reluctor wheel you're talking about. I wonder if I should leave it and use the DS4 dampr or pull the wheel out and use the the one for the DS2.

I will be putting new crank seals in the replacement engine. So I'll probably have to pull the reluctor out to get to that anyway.

I will post pictures of both when I get all the accessories off the original.
Thanks alot sctrailrider.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

How many wires does the CPS on the replacement engine have, 2 or 3?

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchaicAeronaut View Post
I have both engines on stands now and just found the replacement engine, does not appear to have a chain drive, but a gear drive for the cam.
Leroy diesel timing gear set? Older dsg?

Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

https://fluidampr.com/chevy-duramax/ Note there is a spacer used on the non electronic applications. The electronic version will have a reluctor spacer on the crank. So either will work on your application. Just use a spacer if the reluctor is not in place on the crank. If you see a reluctor on the crank you can just discard the spacer. Leaving the reluctor in place will not hurt anything. Measure it if all else fails. Oh! I doubt your engine has a gear drive, are you sure about that? The IP has a gear drive off the cam.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Self Ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPro View Post
https://fluidampr.com/chevy-duramax/ Note there is a spacer used on the non electronic applications. The electronic version will have a reluctor spacer on the crank. So either will work on your application. Just use a spacer if the reluctor is not in place on the crank. If you see a reluctor on the crank you can just discard the spacer. Leaving the reluctor in place will not hurt anything. Measure it if all else fails. Oh! I doubt your engine has a gear drive, are you sure about that? The IP has a gear drive off the cam.
Okay I'm sure there is a timing chain behind that plate now. My apologies, just don't have the anatomy of these engines down yet. Thank you for helping me clear that up. You are absolutely right gentlement, both Fluidampr 800141 and 800191 are exactly the same harmonic balancer.. After talking to their tech at Fluidampr the only difference is (as you said), that for the DB2 (mech fuel injection) part 800191 includes the spacer the 800141 is for EFI and does not include the spacer ala the reluctor wheel behind the balancer. I will just leave out the spacer as the Ted's engine is a 2004 and it has the reluctor. Thankyou,Thankyou, and Thankyou, that is solved
Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
highdesertrange
Diesel Starter

I was under the impression that all 6.2 and 6.5 use the same fluidampr. mine came with the spacer and the instructions said if you have the reluctor disregard the spacer and if you don't have the reluctor use the spacer. highdesertranger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in