Fluidampr help - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertrange View Post
I was under the impression that all 6.2 and 6.5 use the same fluidampr. mine came with the spacer and the instructions said if you have the reluctor disregard the spacer and if you don't have the reluctor use the spacer. highdesertranger
That's the way I remember it when I put the Fluidampr on my '93, mech. injection.

Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

they're the same. Both my 85 6.2 and 94 6.5 have them. Identical.

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

The main difference between the two sets are in the roller chain sets.

You have two different types of chain sets. One WITH a reluctor ring, and one WITHOUT.

The reluctor ring is what the crank position sensor (cps) uses to count crank rotations.

The spacer in the 6.2 fluidampr set is used to compensate for the missing reluctor ring in the 6.2 roller chain set.

My advice; when working on a 6.x without the reluctor ring, when you service the timing set, use the 6.5 roller chain set (WITH reluctor ring). Install the CPS in the timing cover. Theres a press fit plug installed where the CPS goes.

This is the best way imo to gain a tachometer if you dont have one. Had I known that years ago when building my 6.2 I'd have done it like this to get a tach, and not the alternator.

So now whenever I build a 6.x I just use the reluctor ring sets and CPS for easy tachometer compatibility.

hope this helps

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
The main difference between the two sets are in the roller chain sets.

You have two different types of chain sets. One WITH a reluctor ring, and one WITHOUT.

The reluctor ring is what the crank position sensor (cps) uses to count crank rotations.

The spacer in the 6.2 fluidampr set is used to compensate for the missing reluctor ring in the 6.2 roller chain set.

My advice; when working on a 6.x without the reluctor ring, when you service the timing set, use the 6.5 roller chain set (WITH reluctor ring). Install the CPS in the timing cover. Theres a press fit plug installed where the CPS goes.

This is the best way imo to gain a tachometer if you dont have one. Had I known that years ago when building my 6.2 I'd have done it like this to get a tach, and not the alternator.

So now whenever I build a 6.x I just use the reluctor ring sets and CPS for easy tachometer compatibility.

hope this helps
JNL, thanks for your post, EXCELLENT IDEA that is something that I've been thinking about. As I stated I am replacing the 93 with a Ted's pull which is a 2004 out of a Humvee. Fortunately, maybe (I've got to replace the front seal) the motor has that reluctor there, ie. there are some wires with a connector there, whereas my original motor does not have. I plan on bolting the original DB2 injector pump onto this motor and all the original accessories.

I want to do everything right the first time, because getting this monster in and out of the rear of the motorhome (pusher) has been an insane effort. I litterally have the back end jack way up so I could take it out from beneath. Well I'm getting off subject

You really got my attention about being able to put in a different Tachometer. I never realized how the tach was getting information. I never trusted the tach on this motor home as someone had mentioned they thought that the readings came from the alternator??? Am I thinking correctly that on a 93 tack comes from the oil pump?

I would love to put that reluctor ring to work for an additional tach. How would I go about that? Will that CPS wire up directly to a tach or does it require a power source as well. This is something I'd really like to do, and again thanks for suggesting that
Old 10-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

See post# 6.
Tach signal on a 93 comes from the alternator.
The ESS signal (oil pump drive) is just for the auto tranny.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagulator View Post
See post# 6.
Tach signal on a 93 comes from the alternator.
The ESS signal (oil pump drive) is just for the auto tranny.
That is exactly right for a '93. And if your alternator goes bad, measure the pulley on the old one and compare it to the rebuilt/reman. one. Needs to be the same for the tach.
Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

ArchiacAeronaut; they're right. The OEM signal comes from the alternator. But...

?? I thought you can get an easy tach from the cps?

So can you NOT??!

I did it the alternator way on the 85 to get a tach signal. It wasn't fun. Vdo diesel techs are expensive. It just makes sense to get it from the CPS as well...

I'm not talking about the OEM stock setup.... you should be able to add an aftermarket tach using the cps...

Anyway I haven't tried it yet personally but I dont see why it wouldn't work. at some point in time I'll end up giving it a shot on a mechanical...

Has anyone else tried it??

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-12-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
T

My advice; when working on a 6.x without the reluctor ring, when you service the timing set, use the 6.5 roller chain set (WITH reluctor ring). ps
Might want to change this advice as the two gears are keyed differently and affects timing. >https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...-sprocket.html

This may be the only place on the net where you can see the key timed differently.

Aren't you glad I brought that up?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Well then I stand corrected.

I may still try it on my 85 at some point. Just to see.

Thanks for that dp.

How about using a CPS as a quick tach signal? Curious. Ever tried it?

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-12-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
ArchaicAeronaut
Diesel Fanatic

Okay, okay, I already changed out alternator on this rig. I read something about the alternator being the tach source after the change I don't even remember which pulley size I am using now. I have never trusted the tach since. I have heard changes in what I think is engine speed or transmission shifting with no change in tach! I wanted a higher output alternator for the motorhome batteries and I think the larger pulley was on it last.

OMG I HAVE LOST TRACK OF MY TACH and soon my mind

I want to use the cps out put on the new engine to privide a tach if able. What does an aftermarket tack need to operate? Sorry, kind of crazy today trying to help son out with timing belt kit and radiator fan problems on his vehicle and time constraints.

Hope you guys are having a better weekend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in