Much cooler iat(s) BUT... well.. you'll see. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Much cooler iat(s) BUT... well.. you'll see.

BEFORE I go off and do something this 'radical'... figured I'd get some opinions.

I like it... but... I dont. It's not as conservative as my original idea, but without doing something similar to what dieselolds did... well, there it is.

It WILL drastically reduce iat(s)... and for the time being I may just have to deal with it...

My original idea was to have the filter housing fit between the turbo and intake over the valve cover but without intake modification... it's not possible for it to fit.

On the bright side (because that setup would be very temporary) I can utilize the same hole in the hood and install a velocity stack as originally intended... then a hood scoop over it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190628_233019.jpg (66.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190628_233004.jpg (72.0 KB, 25 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Well... no comments from the peanut gallery huh?

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
dieselolds
Ronald Reagan fan

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

It’ll definitely give it that ram air effect but I like your hood scoop ideaI always thought about intercooling one of my trucks with a universal kit from eBay and put a decent size cooler behind the grill but I might or might not do it.Depends on how much free time I have...lol.
1996 GMC Sierra ext.cab Z71....with new genuine GM 6.2 660 short block,4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads,DS4 5521S,82' 6.2 rocker arms,acdelco TP1069/Racor 20S fuel filters,4" diamond eye exhaust,3.73 G80 locker,stanadyne 37818 injectors

1996 Chevy K1500 Z71.....with '99 6.5 506 goodwrench van engine,88-93 6.2 diesel Napa y-pipe,'87 700R4,acdelco TP630F/Racor 20S fuel filters,Bosch non-turbo injectors,stanadyne blue tag 5088

1993 Chevy K1500 Z71...with 97' 6.5 TD 506 block,82' 6.2 rocker arms,stanadyne 37818 injectors,stanadyne blue tag 4911,DSG girdle,reman 700R4,Banks boost/pyrometer gauges,acdelco TP1069/TP943 fuel filter system,4” diamond eye exhaust/2 piece crossover

2008 Mercedes Benz E320 3.0 V6 turbo diesel

2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI

Last edited by dieselolds; 06-29-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Ok well no matter anyway. I just noticed the filter housing has a major flaw for future use (does not completely seal) so the idea is getting scrapped for now anyway.

Just gonna stick a filter on the hood instead. A temporary fix to the high iat issue (for now)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190629_120457.jpg (122.1 KB, 19 views)

Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

And to anyone looking for a better alternative to intakes;

Donaldson.

I just cant afford a 200.00 filter housing at the moment. Screw that. Gonna fix my issue for 40 bucks. Run the filter direct for now.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Yea dieselolds... I agree. The best solution is a combination of what you did + what I want to do;

Modify the upper intake plenum. Clock the turbo housing straight up. 90* towards rear, another 90 directly to modified intake. That will allow a filter housing to be placed directly between the turbo and intake (over the passenger bank valve cover) or in theory it ***should*** allow for said clearance.

Then you can have a 180 direct from turbo inlet to housing. 90* straight up to the hood ending with a velocity stack (flushmount on the hood) but no flex hose (what I want to stay away from which I cannot for now ) but then cover the velocity stack with a functional hood scoop.

Alternatively if you wanted to intercool the system; clock the turbo outlet straight down and run that to the intercooler (bottom). Come back out the same side at the top side of the intercooler... follow same path as if the turbo were clocked straight up. Come past the turbo and 90* over it direct to intake.

For now though I'm just gonna use another length of flex hose and two vent mounts. Mount the filter direct on the hood. I just need cooler iat(s)... yesterday. No point in having an intercooler unless you have the cold air to back it up though. Why I haven't installed one yet.

And for those who would say... "well, what about rain"?

Well what about it? They make wmi systems that inject 70/80% water 30/20% methanol into the intake (though its past the turbo outlet) but rain would only cool the turbo down, reduce iat(s) and egt(s).

Last edited by jnlperformance; 06-29-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Donaldson. But they arent cheap. High cfm filter housings though. E series.

You can download a pdf containing all their intakes and such.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190629-122156_Drive.jpg (46.8 KB, 14 views)

Old 06-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

Intercooler works and works well on my '93. Bottom mounted and was from Peninsular, who unfortunately are out of business. They sure had very good customer support. I've got the turbo that starts with an "A" and can't be mentioned on this forum, apparently. Fuel is turned up to no more than 13 psi. boost. I've got a dual temp. gauge: compressor out temp./Eng. inlet temp. Under full boost I'll get 130-150 degrees temp differential between comp. outlet/engine inlet. I don't get the large temp. increases on the eng. temp. gauge at all like I did before under full boost. And the eng. definitely has more power. No, they're not cheap, but worth it in my opinion. If you're only running 5 psi. max boost, probably a waste of time and money. But they work at higher boost levels.
Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Totally agree with the intercooler. I just feel as if its wasted $$$ until I have the initial cold air to back it up.

The logic; if I get the temps down without an intercooler and wmi, itll be all the cooler with the aforementioned... and even cooler if I swap for another turbo outside the gm4.

I dont wanna turn the boost up until I lower the temps. I've got the hardware and solid foundation for it though. Doing maybe one or two mods at a time. Maybe 3 tops.

For now... just need lower iats so I can drive it around town once again. Dont wanna be pulling hot engine bay air... I haven't driven her since I left for my trip around the country with my father. Getting... edgy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190629_182026.jpg (100.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190629_222944.jpg (58.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by jnlperformance; 06-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oregonnovaguy
Diesel Pro

How about this look:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoop.jpg (95.0 KB, 19 views)

2007.5 Silverado LTZ / Z-71, 4x4, Crew Cab SB, Silver Birch/ Ebony Leather, , 150k + miles, , etc. Gearbox Z, Air Lifts
Montana High Country 310RE
My Other other Car: 70 Nova SS 350, 4 speed, posi, Fathom Blue, frame-off resto, original owner!
Previous Trucks: '03 Silverado CC gasser 4x4, '99 Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4, '77 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, '76 Datsun 620.

Read the DISCLAIMER in my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in