Much cooler iat(s) BUT... well.. you'll see. - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

IAT's is the temp right before the intake manifold. The turbo itself generates most of the heat. With every degree of temp that you reduce with your ram air the actual IAT will reduce about the same just one degree. So even with a scoop the actual drop in temps is going to be very little. Turbo heat is from compression of the air itself and a small amount from the heat that's being stored in the housing. I'd suggest fabricating a heat shield out of stainless between the compressor housing and the turbine housing. A stainless pot pan from your wife's kitchen should work. No insulation would be needed just air space. A direct air filter inlet in the grill should provide the air supply. Someone here has used side louvers as a more practical source for outside air.

Do the pan over the exhaust housing mod.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Joey D
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
BEFORE I go off and do something this 'radical'... figured I'd get some opinions.

I like it... but... I dont. It's not as conservative as my original idea, but without doing something similar to what dieselolds did... well, there it is.

It WILL drastically reduce iat(s)... and for the time being I may just have to deal with it...

My original idea was to have the filter housing fit between the turbo and intake over the valve cover but without intake modification... it's not possible for it to fit.

On the bright side (because that setup would be very temporary) I can utilize the same hole in the hood and install a velocity stack as originally intended... then a hood scoop over it...
What are your IAT now?

NRA Member, GOAL member
Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Bahahaha that was great.

Iats now (or were) are well over 200?. I forgot. Id have to look at some of my older gmtd snapshots. Had the oe intake (94 not k47) and then they skyrocketed when I pulled it (of course)

What I do know is that it's getting external bay air for sure. Much lower.

Very happy with the result. ing now

Will figure the new iats later on.

Happy upcoming 4th everyone!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190630_153236.jpg (73.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190630_173209.jpg (59.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190630_173146.jpg (133.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by jnlperformance; 06-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

The difference was absolutely fantastic!! Major difference. Very very.... very happy...

Went to go eat... drive around town a bit... good times!

Last edited by jnlperformance; 06-30-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
LinePilot
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonnovaguy View Post
How about this look:
That abomination would have to have a Texas license plate on it! LOL
'95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500 2x4, 2dr, long box, 4L80E, 3.73 rear, GVWR 8600, VIN F, L65, 110K Mods: Diamond Eye 4 inch exhaust, Wicked Wheel2, PMD relocate, Duramax fan/clutch, Performance Air filter. Coming soon: '97 cooling upgrade, Fluidampr, chip and gauges.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
LinePilot
Diesel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
The difference was absolutely fantastic!! Major difference. Very very.... very happy...

Went to go eat... drive around town a bit... good times!
Looks like you making good progress. Keep up the good work.
'95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500 2x4, 2dr, long box, 4L80E, 3.73 rear, GVWR 8600, VIN F, L65, 110K Mods: Diamond Eye 4 inch exhaust, Wicked Wheel2, PMD relocate, Duramax fan/clutch, Performance Air filter. Coming soon: '97 cooling upgrade, Fluidampr, chip and gauges.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
vstech
Eco-Logistical

Send a message via AIM to vstech Send a message via Skype™ to vstech

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I like the stock cold air intake.

K47 of course.
The 94 stock filter is kinda restrictive.
Keep the acorns out of the intake behind the passengers turn signal.
2000 Chevrolet extended cab long bed 2500 6.5L HO
94 GMC extended cab long bed 6 lug truck 6.5L
Z71 ext cab standard bed S vin with a blown headgasket.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Expert

When r ya getting stacks?

If Americans ever allow banks to control their currency. First by deflation then inflation. The banks will deprive the people of all property. Until their children wake up homeless.
1998 GMC K1500 WT, 6.5 TD. 80,000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears. Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support. KOJO tune WOW! Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast, GM8 turbo with Hurricane impeller. K&N filter. Ported, gasket matched upper intake. Leroy's braded stainless steel oil lines.
New Bosch injectors. Flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 Bridgestone AT summer tires. 12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTs winter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunner View Post
When r ya getting stacks?
For the intake or exhaust?

B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Remote fuel filter with 1R-0749 CAT 2 micron filter or Donaldson P551000 and 200 watt electric pad heater
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
Dipaco Remote FSD with #9 resistor behind bumper
1999 High capacity (opt K47) Air box-Amsoil EaO filter
AT&T Turbo-Vacuum pump deleted
4 wheel disc brakes-4 headlight on Mod
Member #1 of The Diesel Place Black Belt Club
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
For the intake or exhaust?

It DID cross my mind to have a 180 pipe out of the hood vs the downpipe... but im not there yet. Egts dont call for it and I'm already running a straight shorty (ends at the rear of the pass. Door)

This was a strategic and temporary move; a means to an end... I have some body work & basic maint. to do to the ole turd ferguson from when my wife got hit by some idiot. So I needed to accomplish this before I started tearing it down as the furgeson is the primary mileage collection tool for the time being, but that's about to change

The end (and permanent) result will be the flush mount velocity stack covered by a hood scoop. The velocity stack will be flush when the hood closes, but not attached to the hood. No flex hose (I hate that stuff) and the scoop will cover the larger 6in hole (for the stack) and will be the only item attached to the hood.

...and another item it accomplished... speaking of stock intakes and grill mount intakes. I live in one of the lowest points in the entire region. When it floods, it floods. I've had issues before when the water crossings get to the bumper/grill depth (which is basically every time I want to go to the store when it floods) I never took in too much water, not enough to damage anything but most definitely enough to be of concern.

Last edited by jnlperformance; 07-02-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in