Rattle - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Expert

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Do a good inspection of all the gaskets in the exhaust system. Check for leaks when idling.

If Americans ever allow banks to control their currency. First by deflation then inflation. The banks will deprive the people of all property. Until their children wake up homeless.
1998 GMC K1500 WT, 6.5 TD. 80,000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears. Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support. KOJO tune WOW! Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast, GM8 turbo with Hurricane impeller. K&N filter. Ported, gasket matched upper intake. Leroy's braded stainless steel oil lines.
New Bosch injectors. Flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 Bridgestone AT summer tires. 12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTs winter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

I thought perhaps I had excessive turbo play. No in and out but about 1/16” side to side I put a piece of thin paper between a vane and the housing, then grasped the end of the shaft with a pair of pliers and pushed the vanes towards the paper. The bane did not pinch down on the paper so I’m pretty sure the compressor wheel is not contacting the housing.

New Optimizer 10/14
Rebuilt Central Plains Diesel IP 10/14
Old 07-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alstrucks
High Compression

So was the rattle not there before the transmission overhaul?
3208 cat
1980 Chevy Camaro
350 V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

I definitely didn’t notice it before the rebuild. It’s possible I was listening harder after the rebuild and noticed something I had missed before although my wife also noticed it and she’s not a gear head
New Optimizer 10/14
Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
EppNation
Diesel Head

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrye View Post
Usually starts rattling intermittently after driving a mile or two and making a sharp turn. Pretty uniformly it happens and gets slightly louder when braking for a stop.
Power steering pump? Hydroboost? Check the units themselves with that stethoscope you mentioned having. Also check the routing of the hose assemblies make sure they are secured properly. The only thing that should be making contact with the hose assemblies are anchor points.

Hell, maybe your trans cooler tubes may not be fastened correctly. There should be a hanger that hangs down from a stud in engine's oil pan that both trans cooler tubes snap into.

Fan shroud loose or maybe it's tight but in the wrong place and being nipped by fan blade?

If you ARE able to hear it at hot idle, even faintly, I'd just leave it running and poke around with that stethoscope until I found it. A wooden dowel works well held up to your ear too if you need to reach somewhere distant or deep that stethoscope rod wont reach.
6.5L L65, 4L80E, 14BFF @ 3.73 gears
Opti-Lube Diesel XPD
Fluidampr, Heath Turbo Master, Vac Pump Delete, Dual AD244 Alternators, PTWS Battery Cables, Power Steering Cooler & FF Filter, Coolant Bypass Filter, ScanGaugeII, 235/85/16 Firestone Transforce on GMT800 PYOs

Last edited by EppNation; 07-03-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sirleitet
Diesel Nut

Take the drivebelts off and start the engine, does the noise disappear now?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

I haven’t removed the drive belts yet but I have inspected the pulley and dampener. I put the stethoscope everywhere I could including the power steering pump. I even had it running up on a lift twice with the stethoscope underneath but so far no joy in isolating it.
New Optimizer 10/14
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

Still battling the rattle. Today I drove about 75 miles and it was cool so windows were up and I could listen closely. I discovered a weird but relevant fact: rattle is always there after truck is warmed up but disappears in any slight right turn. Even if I weave in the lane it disappears when I move the wheel to the right but reappears immediately after I center the wheel. Any hypothesis to explain this oddity. It also seems to exhibit this feature when at a standstill.
New Optimizer 10/14
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
kerrye
Diesel Boss

Damn rattle still driving me nuts. Stops on a turn to the right or slight motion of steering wheel to right. Not enough of a turn to induce significant centrifugal force. Just moving the wheel slightly off center makes it disappear completely. Definitely associated with engine rpm’s.
New Optimizer 10/14
Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Could be motor mount bouncing on the frame.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ml#post4725838

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in