Question: 6.5 TD OPS lift pump power supply - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Alstrucks
  • 1 Post By 56pan
  • 2 Post By Tommygunner
  • 2 Post By Glagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Alstrucks
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.5 TD OPS lift pump power supply

Hi everyone, I have a question about the 6.5 diesel lift pump circuit. According to what I have read, the fuel pump relay is supposed to supply the voltage to run the lift pump and the OPS is supposed to supply the voltage in case the FP relay stops working. So why not eliminate the OPS feed so it does not overheat or ruin the OPS. A light could be mounted in the dash that indicates when the lift pump is being supplied with voltage, and if the relay went bad the light would go out. Any thoughts? Thanks

Al

4X4 5 speed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

The light modification is a good idea.

Typical fix for 94 and 95 model years. I had to do it (94)

Search out "94 95 lp ops mod"

It does just as you say minus the indicator light. Utilizes a relay to take the lp amperage off the ops. The ops has a 2.2A max. The lp has a 5A max.

Check out my trip across our great and wonderful country! JNLPerformance's 'Across Diesel Country'
April 29th - May 24th 2019

... in the 'Off Topic' section...

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-...l-country.html

Last edited by jnlperformance; 05-15-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Champ

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Another good fix to the issue is a manual glow plug override. Tie the lift pump in directly to the gp relay. Key on, lp on. Use a single pole switch to ground the relay. Push a button and your glows come to life. Works excellent. Once the engine has warmed up once and ran for a while, glow plugs aren't required to start engine anymore for remainder of the day.

Saves glow plug lifespan.

Check out my trip across our great and wonderful country! JNLPerformance's 'Across Diesel Country'
April 29th - May 24th 2019

... in the 'Off Topic' section...

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-...l-country.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

Back in Aug. of '93 GM issued a service bulletin: 93-286-6A I can print it out and post it if anybody wants it, but it can be looked up on the internet. It was about the oil pressure switch failure problem. There was a new oil pressure switch designed to fix it with heavier contacts for the LP. Part no. 10243574.
My OPS failed about 10 yrs. ago and I replaced it with the updated part and have had no problems since. The LP mod. mentioned here is a good way to go, I'm just mentioning this as the newer model of the OPS has worked fine for me for those 10 yrs.
Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Old Today, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Expert

If your referring to the truck in your sig. The OPS in post 1996 6.5 engines passes no voltage directly to the LP at any time. Voltage to lift pump is supplied by the lift pump solenoid only. The OPS only controls voltage to the fuel pump solenoid closing the contacts in the solenoid to activate the LP. GM changed to a solenoid controlled LP in OBD2 trucks because of all the problems they were having in older 6.5s (OBD1) with the OPS passing full current to the LP burning out the OPS.
It is very simple to tell if the LP is working in a 0BD2 truck. Just turn the key to the on position without starting. You will hear the lift pump run for a short time then stop. If you don't hear the LP then something is wrong. No light needed.

If Americans ever allow banks to control their currency. First by deflation then inflation. The banks will deprive the people of all property. Until their children wake up homeless.
1998 GMC K1500 WT, 6.5 TD. 80,000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears. Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support. KOJO tune WOW! Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast, GM8 turbo with Hurricane impeller. K&N filter. Ported, gasket matched upper intake. Leroy's braded stainless steel oil lines.
New Bosch injectors. Flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 Bridgestone AT summer tires. 12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTs winter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
56pan
Diesel Head

Thanks Tommygunner. With that change in the LP circuit, the updated switch wouldn't make any difference on a 2000 model.
Straight pipe exh. (but it ain't that loud).
Peninsular intercooler
Boost, EGT, Glowshift intercooler in/out temp. 3 guage pod.
Rebuilt complete susp. with polyurethane bushings. (Bad idea).
20k on GM 4L80E rebuilt trans.
Dual thermostat/Duramax fan/high flow water pump.
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Alstrucks
Gear Grinder

LP

Hey Tommygunner, I am new to using threads and I tried to attach a pdf of the lift pump circuit out of a chiltons manual. If it works maybe you could tell me if that is a possible wire schematic for a 2000 GMC truck. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lift pump circuit.pdf (46.5 KB, 5 views)
4X4 5 speed

Old Today, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

That is the LP control schematic for any 1996 and up 6.5td in a truck or burb.
The OPS switch was eliminated on the later model 6.5td vans.
The OPS sw. is in parallel with the relay, either one will power the LP, both when working correctly.
The main problem is the wire sizing, IMO it should be at least 14ga. and a separate 14ga. ground
to the engine instead of/in addition to the frame ground for the LP.
The LP can run and not pump fuel, and if dead it still has 12v. going to it
so an indicator light would not be much help.
With OBD2 you will get a P0231 code if there is less than about 8 volts
going to the LP.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine harness, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Alstrucks
Gear Grinder

Good call Glagulator on the LP still having power but not pumping, so maybe a good idea would be to have a LP output pressure gauge to know that the LP is working.
4X4 5 speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in