Diesel Place banner

Manuel Trans Options

Question: 
562 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tommygunner 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I currently have a 1999 6.5 in an 87 3/4 ton with an SM465 and an NP208 t-case. Even with 3.23 gears and 33's, I still would like to be able to run down the highway at a lower rpm. An NV4500 would be nice but I'm on a budget and I'm not sure if I can run my 208 with it or if a 2wd trans can be easily swapped to a 4wd. An aux overdrive trans would be sweet but those are super pricey.

If any of you have dealt with these issues or know of any other options I'd love to hear them.

#3 ·
The sm465 only had like 4 forward gears ör something like that, so that transmission is originally meant for trucks and busses etc, and it's very durable and you have enourmus amounts of torque at low rpm.

If you want the NV4500, I'm reasonably sure you will need a different bellhousing, driveshaft, clutch, flywheel and definitely a different transmission support beam.

#4 ·
4wd versions of the NV4500 can be found all over Ebay, craigslist, etc... They are not hard to find. Your 208 should bolt right up to it. You will need to modify driveshafts and move your transmission crossmember. Just remember to find a GM version of the NV4500 (the Dodge versions are different and won't fit) and you should even be able to use your stock bellhousing (but bellhousings can be found quite easily used also). You can probably do this for under $1K. I'm converting from an automatic and I'm right at $1K and I had to buy a flywheel, clutch, new pedals, clutch hydraulics, etc...

Reactions: jnlperformance
#5 · (Edited)
NV 4500 wont bolt up to your bell housing without an adapter. You can get them from Advance Adapters. The drive shaft will usually bolt up with an Adapter.
If you use a NV4500 bell you run into issues with adapting the clutch because it is on the passenger side. But it can be done. Advance makes adapters for that too.
The adapter is the way to go for simplicity. If you get an Adapter you will need the year of NV4500. So you get the right adapter. 92-95 4500 are different than 96+
Your 208 will bolt right up. It is the same as the NP 241 which is used on nv4500.
NV4500 Shifter is more forward than SM465. So the tranny hump will need to be modified.
Use a NV4500 out of a 4x4. Only use the special GM $yntorque fluid in 4500. Cant use regular gear lube.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#7 ·
Driveshafts don't use adapters - you have them lengthened or shortened. Also AA doesn't have an adapter, they have a full bellhousing that moves the clutch to the other side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.