Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   6.5L Diesel Engine (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/)
-   -   Turbo housing; seized bolt (https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/973468-turbo-housing-seized-bolt.html)

jnlperformance 02-02-2019 04:38 PM

Turbo housing; seized bolt

1 Attachment(s)
Any ideas?

I've already torched it. Soaked in penetration oil...

Smashed it with a wrench and hammer a few times.

Contemplating welding a donor wrench to it...or cutting it. Area is too small for vice grips.

I'm noticing the wrench flexing. Ergo me welding it to the bolt.

Can't fit the closed end around it wish I could. Would likely come off then...

Anyway...

Ideas? It would be preferable to get it off clean... even if I loose a tool in the process. It's easier to replace a tool vs remove a bolt with a broken head.

It's the only bolt left... one I'm pointing to with a wrench.

ak diesel drive 02-02-2019 05:03 PM

grind down the box end to make it thin enough to go over it maybe?

rude robert 02-02-2019 06:38 PM

Try and tighten it a little bit then loosen it

rude robert 02-02-2019 06:38 PM

How hot did you get it

jnlperformance 02-02-2019 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got it to about 850 degrees last night (laser temp read) tried tightening too..

I guess as I was on my way to get some goodies at the toy store (a donor 1/2in wrench, among other things) ak and I had the same idea...

A good smacking and it popped loose. Feels nasty like the threads are stripped. Been working on my 5485 and 5079 pumps in the meantime while some more oil sets in..

Back to it...

sctrailrider 02-02-2019 07:47 PM

If you get the area around it red hot it should loosen some, if not just torch the head off then separate the housing and get at it with vice grips...

jnlperformance 02-03-2019 01:13 PM

I got it off. Ak and I were on the same page there lol

I don't like torching cast items until it's red, risk of cracking at those temps.

By playing it safe I managed to save the housing :)

jnlperformance 04-11-2019 12:05 PM

turbo housing blues...

1 Attachment(s)
Learned some lessons from the prior unit... did some things differently on this one. I could tell this one was going to be a bit more difficult by how the first few bolts came off on the downpipe housing. All has gone swell except for the SAME TWO BOLTS!

Tried heat, pressure, hammer, jolts. The works. Just about everything short of...

Mounting in the vice. Maybe attempting to turn the compressor housing with some carefully placed taps simultaneously with two hammers. I tried with one hammer last night out of vice. No go.

Sacrificing an open end wrench or a steel bar and welding to the bolt head. Arduously difficult to remove the donor metal to turn the bolt out without damaging the housing...

Taking sctrailriders way of it and getting at it post removal. I guess there would be enough meat left to weld a nut on and get it that way....

jnlperformance 04-11-2019 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll definitely take some fresh ideas on those bolts ^^^ :HiHi:

Anyone know where I can get these? Just in case...

They're steel. Stainless or not I have no idea.

jnlperformance 04-11-2019 03:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One down one to go..