Opinions on troubleshooting another wont start 6.5td. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hateskate
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Opinions on troubleshooting another wont start 6.5td.

Hey guys! Just looking for opinions from some of you more mechanical guys as to a solution for my 96' 6.5 td not starting. The truck had been running fine with no signs of impending doom or sputtering or the like. I replaced the PMD maybe a year and a half ago with a remotely located one up into the bumper. The original PMD was becoming inconsistent but never totally stopped but would make me wait a few minutes sometimes. Injector pump was factory replaced around 70,000 miles. Truck currently has about 200k on her.

So, running errands and decided to pull into a gas station to grab a drink on a rainy day. Shut off the truck and when I came back out the truck wouldn't start. At first it reminded me of the PMD issues so I sat for a while and would try to start her every now and then. Totally dead with no hints of coming close to starting. Got out and checked the t-valve and had no fuel coming out so I thought a simple lift pump would get me rolling again. Had someone bring me one and then got under the truck while they turned the key on for me. Lift pump was in fact dead. Hooked up the new one, turned key and felt it run so continued to fasten fuel lines. Turned t-valve and had fuel flowing but still truck was dead as can be. Changed the fuel filter because it was easy enough to do and honestly was overdue. Checked fuel delivery to that stage and tried again to start the engine to no avail. Cracked open an injector in the front drivers side and had nothing coming out while turning over engine. Since I was at a gas station and it was getting late I decided to just have the truck towed.

I let it sit for a couple weeks as it's been so cold, but now I want to try and get her going. I pulled and charged the batteries. Gave it a shot again hoping for the best but still just spins with no signs of anything. I re-connected the original PMD since it was still there and never totally gave out on me back in the day and still nothing. I'm guessing my next move should probably be the fuel shut off solenoid? What opinions would you guys have? Should that be my next move or am I skipping a step or two? I assume i'd have to just replace the solenoid as opposed to some sort of troubleshooting that would tell me it's actually bad before replacing? I'm not much of a mechanic so I really appreciate you guys helping out. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

It does sound sudden enough that I too would be more focused on electrical stuff than mechanical external fuel delivery. If you can get to the plug for the shut off and plug it in and out with the key on you should hear it click. Dual stat makes that easier said than done. IP's when they get some miles on em can suddenly crap too.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Here is a "No Start" checklist of things to do..
https://www.accuratediesel.com/nostart.html

My guess is that the lift pump has been dead long enough to kill the IP.
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 01-22-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
CamoBowtie
High Compression

I would lean towards IP also. I had something really similar happen to me. My IP died after getting home from work in my old truck.

2003 GMC Envoy 4.2 (Wife's Jalopy)

[Insert New 6.5l Here]
Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hateskate
Heat Sink

So if that were the case of the lift pump causing the IP to die, would it or should it have shown any signs prior? Like I mentioned it was running fine and shut down to go inside and upon trying to start again it was lifeless. No hints of almost starting at all. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateskate View Post
So if that were the case of the lift pump causing the IP to die, would it or should it have shown any signs prior? Like I mentioned it was running fine and shut down to go inside and upon trying to start again it was lifeless. No hints of almost starting at all. Thanks!
When the lift pump fails the IP has enough momentum to pull fuel and keep going but the IP internals will start wearing to the point of failure. ( depending on how long you drive it with the lift pump failure).

That's why we recommend a set of gauges to monitor Fuel, EGT, and Boost
as a minimum for a 6.5L

That way you'll catch the issue before it dominoes into other issues
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Old 01-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Here is a thread on Diagnosing a Dead IP..
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-like-pmd.html

I would put a clear line on the return side of the IP:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post7305306

If you have fuel flowing through the return but nothing going to Injectors that's a pretty good indicator your pump is done
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Old 01-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Any codes?

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine harness, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hateskate
Heat Sink

I do not have a scanner so I have not checked for anything. Since i'm not much of a mechanic I actually pulled both of my batteries to give them a charge so i'm assuming that would have cleared any codes if there were any? No check engine light had been on though.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

When I bought my 96 (my first 6.5) I drove it with no signs of any problems almost 1000 miles over a month before I started reading stuff here and went looking for trouble. Everyone said open the t valve they just don't mention that if the pump is dead truck will likely be dead till you replace the pump. Luckily it was in my driveway, not somewhere else. I could just do a 30 point turn and drive across my lawn to get to the parts store. My guess is it had been dead for a long time. Even after I dealt with the rust I had to replace most of the harness because the ground was bad. Anyway.... the point was it ran great with no lift pump. No codes, no hiccups, no starting issues even with a couple dead plugs.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in