Diesel Place banner

Opinions on troubleshooting another wont start 6.5td.

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  davester 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Just looking for opinions from some of you more mechanical guys as to a solution for my 96' 6.5 td not starting. The truck had been running fine with no signs of impending doom or sputtering or the like. I replaced the PMD maybe a year and a half ago with a remotely located one up into the bumper. The original PMD was becoming inconsistent but never totally stopped but would make me wait a few minutes sometimes. Injector pump was factory replaced around 70,000 miles. Truck currently has about 200k on her.

So, running errands and decided to pull into a gas station to grab a drink on a rainy day. Shut off the truck and when I came back out the truck wouldn't start. At first it reminded me of the PMD issues so I sat for a while and would try to start her every now and then. Totally dead with no hints of coming close to starting. Got out and checked the t-valve and had no fuel coming out so I thought a simple lift pump would get me rolling again. Had someone bring me one and then got under the truck while they turned the key on for me. Lift pump was in fact dead. Hooked up the new one, turned key and felt it run so continued to fasten fuel lines. Turned t-valve and had fuel flowing but still truck was dead as can be. Changed the fuel filter because it was easy enough to do and honestly was overdue. Checked fuel delivery to that stage and tried again to start the engine to no avail. Cracked open an injector in the front drivers side and had nothing coming out while turning over engine. Since I was at a gas station and it was getting late I decided to just have the truck towed.

I let it sit for a couple weeks as it's been so cold, but now I want to try and get her going. I pulled and charged the batteries. Gave it a shot again hoping for the best but still just spins with no signs of anything. I re-connected the original PMD since it was still there and never totally gave out on me back in the day and still nothing. I'm guessing my next move should probably be the fuel shut off solenoid? What opinions would you guys have? Should that be my next move or am I skipping a step or two? I assume i'd have to just replace the solenoid as opposed to some sort of troubleshooting that would tell me it's actually bad before replacing? I'm not much of a mechanic so I really appreciate you guys helping out. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
It does sound sudden enough that I too would be more focused on electrical stuff than mechanical external fuel delivery. If you can get to the plug for the shut off and plug it in and out with the key on you should hear it click. Dual stat makes that easier said than done. IP's when they get some miles on em can suddenly crap too.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I would lean towards IP also. I had something really similar happen to me. My IP died after getting home from work in my old truck.

#5 ·
So if that were the case of the lift pump causing the IP to die, would it or should it have shown any signs prior? Like I mentioned it was running fine and shut down to go inside and upon trying to start again it was lifeless. No hints of almost starting at all. Thanks!

#6 ·
When the lift pump fails the IP has enough momentum to pull fuel and keep going but the IP internals will start wearing to the point of failure. ( depending on how long you drive it with the lift pump failure).

That's why we recommend a set of gauges to monitor Fuel, EGT, and Boost
as a minimum for a 6.5L

That way you'll catch the issue before it dominoes into other issues

#7 ·
Reactions: Hateskate
#8 ·
Any codes?

Reactions: OkDually
#9 ·
I do not have a scanner so I have not checked for anything. Since i'm not much of a mechanic I actually pulled both of my batteries to give them a charge so i'm assuming that would have cleared any codes if there were any? No check engine light had been on though.

#10 ·
When I bought my 96 (my first 6.5) I drove it with no signs of any problems almost 1000 miles over a month before I started reading stuff here and went looking for trouble. Everyone said open the t valve they just don't mention that if the pump is dead truck will likely be dead till you replace the pump. Luckily it was in my driveway, not somewhere else. I could just do a 30 point turn and drive across my lawn to get to the parts store. My guess is it had been dead for a long time. Even after I dealt with the rust I had to replace most of the harness because the ground was bad. Anyway.... the point was it ran great with no lift pump. No codes, no hiccups, no starting issues even with a couple dead plugs.

#11 ·
Just to re-visit this thread for anyone who may search and come across this. My problem was the fuel shutoff solenoid. She's back to her old self again.

Reactions: davester
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.