Newbie's diagnostic checklist - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
majakarot
Diesel Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Newbie's diagnostic checklist

I just bought this 94 chevy K2500(7200gvw) 6.5td w/ 195,000 miles
I tried diagnosing the problems myself using the FAQ's, but I guess I just don't know enough about them. I would appreciate some info and here is my checklist.

1.The fuel pump was just replaced days before I bought the truck so I assume it is good, if I still need to check it let me know.
2.Check engine Comes on and off, mostly on after a long idle, goes away when I go again.
3.'94, 195,000miles, new vaccuum pump, fuel pump, air filter, batteries
4+5.engine codes 32 and 33
6.air filter is new
7.fuel filter-unknown, but the owner said to replace them regularly, so I assume he did
8.terminals-I am going to clean and tighten them today (I'll explain later)
9+10.cold starting-I'm not sure about this, does 90+degree days count as cold start(I can check; if they do) I did notice a puff of smoke when first started
11.excessive cranking-I don't think so, it starts right up like a gas engine
12.heater-never used it
13.excessive black smoke-I think so, my passengers said it was normal for a diesel, i have no reference.
14.unusual smoke-just the smoke under hard acceleration
15.the wastegate arm cannot be moved by hand
16.egr-yes
17.2500 7200gvw
18.fuel used-??? whatever is in the pump at local stations (#2?)
19.additives-none
20.Michigan
21.service-I'll have to get back to you
22.mods-none that i know of
23.tank vaccuum-not noticeable

The voltmeter reads really low when idling, but not into the red. It seems to crank and start just fine. The batteries are new. I am going to check and clean the terminals and spacer today after reading the faq's on these.

I am not sure if the turbo is working or not, the engine is so quiet i can barely hear it in the cab so the turbo is also. i will be getting and installing a boost gauge in the near future, but is there a check in the meantime other than the wastegate. (can i rev it in park enough to hear the turbo with the hood open, or would it hurt something.

I think I have excessive black smoke which i at first thought was the wastegate or the egr. I know i need to purchase a vaccuum gauge to check for a leak. I am starting to wonder if the "mystery gasket" is missing, can i see this from pulling off the egr without pulling the intake?
After reading about the injectors i am starting to wonder if they need to be replaced. Or maybe it was just from sitting as the smoke does not seem nearly as bad as when i first bought it.

Ultimately it just seems that every FAQ i read sounds like thats whats wrong with my truck and my head is starting to spin. I think the egr codes probably mean something...

Sorry to unload all of this on you guys, thanks for any and all input.

97 Chevrolet K3500 Dually 6.5TD / 120,000mi / Plow
Just bought, don't know anything about yet

04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 6.6 LLY / 120,000mi Bone Stock

89 F-SuperDuty stakebed dump 7.3 IDI

Last edited by majakarot; 08-01-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dan Hunter
Diesel Head

So, six hours without a response; you get my opinions and limited expertise. 4/5. Your codes are EGR related. Though I'd still investigate this, replacing your chip with an "F" vin (the one I purchase from Rock Auto for $35 I think; it's identified in my signature) will have your ECM ignore the EGR stuff completely. 7. Assume nothing. Filters are cheap and not challenging to install and will quietly cause a broad range of problems in performance. Throw some towels over the fenders and then a 2X12 to give you something to support yourself with while you're cleaning the bowl. 9/10. Mine starts fine but will puff white if having sat for a while. I'm inclined to believe you still have the original injectors in and if one or more leak down this might contribute to white smoking on start. Also, since I've blocked my EGR, I expect it not to start quite as well as before anyway. As long as your radiator hose isn't pressurizing right after startup (it should be squeezable) and before the thermostat opens, you shouldn't suspect a problem with heads. 13. Your passenger must hate Al Gore and the environment. Black smoke is unburned fuel and a 6.5 that's not seen fuel mods shouldn't smoke. Possible your wastegate itself or the solenoid for the actuator is the problem though I'd expect a 78 code for that. 15. With the engine NOT running, you should be able to move the wategate actuator. There are multiple methods of deactivating the EGR function. I disabled mine and the result was an elimination of the bucking that occurred at about 48mph. Aside from fixing things, Look at threads in the facts or just a search for "snorkle removal" (hint: use a dremel tool to cut it up where it meets the filter box and it'll pull out easier. Otherwise, park it with the passenger fender toward the sun and it will probably be soft enough to manage). While you've got the filter box removed, disconnect the rubber ducting on the inlet of the turbo and inspect the turbo. The blades should not have a bunch of erosion wear and when spun should rotate smoothly with no hangups. There should be little or no noticeable shaft play for and aft. It that's the case, your turbo is fine. This engine doesn't make a lot of whine unless you start gutting the intake. Which bring up another point, remove the top of the intake plenum and gut the interior baffles. If you're not going to leave the EGR running, it only serves to restrict flow. The mystery gasket (search mystery gasket no more for part number) is hard to see but it's a crush fit metalic device that'll be camoflauged in soot. Some here plug if with a freeze plug. I replaced the egr gasket between the actual egr and the upper intake plenum and used the old one as a template to make a thin metal plate that goes between the gasket and the EGR. Hey, dinner calls. Good luck and keep reading and asking questions. Whatever your problem, it's solvable and probably more expensive in terms of troubleshooting time than actual money.

Last edited by Dan Hunter; 08-01-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
gmctd

Good calls, Maj - right on!

Altho, might that be a typo on the compressor blades erosion - erosion would indicate that the PO was not as attentive to air filtration maintenance as he\she should have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dan Hunter
Diesel Head

I was more hungry than disciplined - that's retirement! You're right; fixed a couple other things as well. MIJI
Old 08-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
majakarot
Diesel Starter

Hey, thanks for the information. I just talked to the previous owner and he agrees with you that it is probably something in the wastegate, but he did put a new vaccuum pump in, he recommended a spring kit on it. I am going to pull the snorkel and block the egr as soon as i get some time and the fuel filter is now on my to do list. I'll post if i learn anything, thanks again.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dan Hunter
Diesel Head

Offer someone a six-pack to take pictures - so you can keep track of the disassembly/reassembly process and provide photos for others on your future path to view.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
majakarot
Diesel Starter

More on my endeavor.

On my home today I was doing about 50 and nailed it to the floor just to see... Lots of smoke and very little acceleration... on the next road i tried it again at a lower speed... puff of black smoke, turned to white and the truck broke both tires loose and put my sideways (back road)... It is like it works when it wants. Could the solenoid on the wastegate be opening it up randomly?

Get home, let it cool and start tearing off the filter to pull the snorkel only to find it is already gone, but the collar inside of the shoot was there so i pulled it. I figured I might as well check out the turbo while i was that far... surprised to find nothing wrong with it (from an uneducated eye) but I am confused about the contraption that sits where a pcv valve would be on a gas engine that appears only serves to blow black spooge into my turbo inlet?

Pull the egr next and make a plate out of galvanized steel, (found black powdery soot in it) what I don't understand here is that the valve itself hits the plate in the center, holding it open slightly... I understand that it wont matter, but it seems to me it would be lifting and dropping onto the plate every time i move off idle, will it eventually wreck my gasket or plate or something?
Please help with this one as i have it apart waiting for input

Also I pulled my terminals and cleaned them completely with a wire wheel on a dremel and still my ammeter gauge dips nearly into the red at a prolonged idle??? I will check the batteries with a voltmeter next time it runs after reading about bad grounds on the gauges.

I also calculated my mileage now and i got about 16.5mpg, but that included a lot of playing around to make it smoke (heavy acceleration) and a lot of idling checking the vaccuum and such. I still haven't found a boost gauge i like and can afford and i haven't yet changed the fuel filter.

Again I want to thank all for the time and help, I really appreciate all the information I'm getting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in