1995 Chevy K3500 Dually Lift kit & front end rebuild need help/tips - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1995 Chevy K3500 Dually Lift kit & front end rebuild need help/tips

Not sure if this is the right place since it says 2001-2010, but I couldn't find a section for the year of my truck.

So, step one into my Dually build is gonna be the 6" lift and entire front end rebuild. Brakes, steering, suspension, I want everything brand new with good quality parts that will last.
Now, since I'm from Holland I have no idea what brands are good quality. In addition, I need to ship everything at once because of high shipping costs oversea.
I did look at RockAuto, and ended up just over 500 euro's for an entire front end/steering/brake rebuild, including shipping! For those of you that are familiar with RockAuto, I only chose professional or heavy duty parts.

But here's the problem: If I order, I will have to pay an additional 200 euro's at LEAST in import taxes and VAT in my country. A way to avoid this is to get all the parts to one place (preferably Florida) and let a friend of mine ship them directly to me.

So basically I am looking for a shop/business in Florida that can provide me with all the parts I need so I can place the order, have my friend pick the stuff up and ship it home. Any help here would be highly appreciated!

Step 2 would be the 6"lift kit.
The last few days I have googled for hours. Zone offroad, rough country, they all sell lift kits for the K1500, but not for the K3500 dually..
I did find a few old threads on this forum, but those shops don't sell the kits for the K3500 anymore. Again, any help here would be awesome
I'm looking to stay around 1200-1500 dollars max, since I have to pay additional shipping which won't be cheap due to the weight..

Step 3 would be some minor rust repairs, but more importantly AVOIDING rust. I am planning to powder coat all my front-end suspension parts, so that should be solved for the next 10+ years. But then there's the chassis and body. Both in pretty good shape ATM, only 2 places that worry me:

A big rusty patch underneath the 'extended part' of the cab, no holes yet but wont take long! This will require some welding and re-paint.

Front wheel arches. (damn fender-flares ). I think the easiest way to repair this is just buy 2 new panels and get them painted.

Now the key question:
What is the best way to PREVENT any further rust on my body and chassis, and what products/brands should I use. I want to do this project right the first time (not like my previous project) so I can use all the help I can get on this subject, since rust was killing me on my previous project.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Moved your post over to 6.5L for better views and responses.....

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
MrMarty51
Diesel Fanatic

On My K3500 4X4, I just cranked up the torsion bars a ways. It set quite high now and the 295 tires quit rubbing the back lower corner of the front fenders.
I too have some steering and suspension components to replace before I can get it aligned, just no fun tickets to get the parts todo it.
4:10 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

One of our newer Supporting Vendors has a Lift kit listed for 1995 K3500.

Here is their Welcome to DieselPlace page:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/68-...ml#post9152961
Link to their website:
https://liftkits4less.com/
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Rust killers and prevention;

Sandblasting, sand paper, wire wheels, ect...

Never rinse with water, always use clean mineral spirits, acetone, paint thinner

Use primer, then either acrylic or hardened industrial enamel paint. Bedliner works well too, such as herculiner or lineX (all Bed liners require meticulous prep work or it will peel off)

Use hvlp sprayer for painting, never use a rattle can unless you don't care about the paint flaking off

When spraying bed liner use a gel coat spray gun (found in fiberglass shops/websites)

Oh yea, one more thing... when using or applying any of these (hvlp, gel coat gun, acrylic and enamel paints, wire wheels, sandblasters, grinders...ect) use proper safety gear or you'll land yourself 6ft deep prematurely aka death.

Quality respirators, nitride / nitrile gloves... and the regular common sense stuff... eyeware, ear protection, body protection (where any apply... wire wheels require all for example... eye, ear, respiratory, face, body protection and heavy duty gloves) common sense

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

Pneumatic tools to remove rust would be at least primarily... a die grinder (multi tool) grinding wheels and wire wheels...

An electric alternative that works much better is an angle grinder. Also a multi tool. Fits cutoff wheels, flapdiscs (the best rust remover and my favorite) grinding wheels, wire wheels...

Last edited by jnlperformance; 10-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

As far as finding a business in Florida why don't you just buy online and have it shipped to your friend IN Florida... shops are just going to jack the pricing up and you'll pay more for nothing...
Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
jnlperformance
Diesel Pro

And the big rusty spot... expect to use a welder to fix that. If you can poke a knife thru it it's done. Gotta cut it out and weld it shut with some sheet metal.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
One of our newer Supporting Vendors has a Lift kit listed for 1995 K3500.

Here is their Welcome to DieselPlace page:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/68-...ml#post9152961
Link to their website:
https://liftkits4less.com/
Thanks! I see they have the Superlift 5-7" kit, perfect! And for a good price!
Will probably go for that one! Gotta wait a few more months to get the money together since buying the truck killed my bank account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlperformance View Post
Rust killers and prevention;

Sandblasting, sand paper, wire wheels, ect...

Never rinse with water, always use clean mineral spirits, acetone, paint thinner

Use primer, then either acrylic or hardened industrial enamel paint. Bedliner works well too, such as herculiner or lineX (all Bed liners require meticulous prep work or it will peel off)

Use hvlp sprayer for painting, never use a rattle can unless you don't care about the paint flaking off

When spraying bed liner use a gel coat spray gun (found in fiberglass shops/websites)

Oh yea, one more thing... when using or applying any of these (hvlp, gel coat gun, acrylic and enamel paints, wire wheels, sandblasters, grinders...ect) use proper safety gear or you'll land yourself 6ft deep prematurely aka death.

Quality respirators, nitride / nitrile gloves... and the regular common sense stuff... eyeware, ear protection, body protection (where any apply... wire wheels require all for example... eye, ear, respiratory, face, body protection and heavy duty gloves) common sense
Thanks, a lot of useful information that will definitely come in handy!
You guys rock!

I will soon be starting a 'build series' thread which I will link here.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thijmen156
Clutch

Unfortunately the SuperLift kit says it doesn't fit on the dually... Is it possible to make this fit with a few modifications? Should be doable right since the rear-end lift isn't really that complicated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in