Info: Starter clanked but would not turn over the 6.5L - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OkDually
  • 1 Post By 1998GMCsuburban

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
1998GMCsuburban
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Starter clanked but would not turn over the 6.5L

Hi,

Maybe this will be helpful to someone.

I found out that my starter's crank gear had stuck in the flywheel after I was done troubleshooting my starter relay.

The starter clanked loud and hard when I turned the key but nothing happened. I checked all the easily accessible electric connections and the batteries, but I could find nothing wrong. I thought maybe the starter gear was hitting the side of the flywheel instead of engaging its teeth.

I found "Know your cars Clicks. Why it won't start" on YouTube while I was taking a break. 'Foxboss9' recommended hand turning over the engine by hand to see if it was seized or if the starter was stuck. I didn't expect it to be seized but it seem to be a quick way to see if the starter was stuck.

I found that the easiest way to hand turn the 6.5L was to (1) put a strap wrench around the pulley on the AC unit and (2) turn it while (3) using counter torque so I wouldn't damage it.

I set the brake, put the transmission in neutral, and turned the key to its off position.
Sure enough the starter gave another loud clank as soon as I moved the pulley and the serpentine belt turned the crankshaft just a little bit. After that it started fine.

Here's how we had gotten to that point. Earlier, my young son was helping me by turning the key to start while I wiggled this and that. We finally got a starter bump when I tried moving the starter relay.
I removed the relay and straightened out the mangled connectors in the fuse box as well as I could (clearly an impatient previous owner's handy work).
Then while I was under the hood watching and listening my son tried again and the 6.5L roared to life.
However, I obviously had not explained well enough (or maybe not enough times ) how you release the key and keep the engine running. He had held the key in the start position with the motor running until I came around the door and told him to turn it off. I noticed the key turned further then I had expected.
We may have dinged up the cranking gear's teeth a bit .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

In this truck, you just replace the starter.

Make sure the back bracket (towards front of the truck) is attached properly.

You don't need to try to turn the engine.

Now, you may have to replace the flywheel?

This engine seized usually caused by oil cooler line failure that cause all the oil to leak out while engine is running or the crank broke.
It happened but usually your symptoms mean starter is bad or whoever install the starter did not put the back bracket on properly.

Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator

Last edited by JMJNet; 08-11-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
1998GMCsuburban
Low Boost

Thanks JMJNet.

I checked the starter and the forward bracket is gone. I ordered a new bracket and its bolt. The starter seems to be shot, it just sticks now.

In the mean time, I have finished installing Leroy Diesel's PMD remote mount kit and his oil cooler line kit.
I also replaced all three O-rings in the oil filter 4X4 adapter. They shattered into smaller pieces as I removed them.

I will drop the starter out of the Suburban today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998GMCsuburban View Post
Thanks JMJNet.

I checked the starter and the forward bracket is gone. I ordered a new bracket and its bolt. The starter seems to be shot, it just sticks now.

In the mean time, I have finished installing Leroy Diesel's PMD remote mount kit and his oil cooler line kit.
I also replaced all three O-rings in the oil filter 4X4 adapter. They shattered into smaller pieces as I removed them.

I will drop the starter out of the Suburban today.
Be sure to install the Starter Support Bracket Before you start the engine..

Without the support bracket, the starter will torque itself off of its mounting and possibly cause severe damage to the engine block..
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
1998GMCsuburban
Low Boost

Hi OkDually,

Thanks.

I just got the new starter home late today.

The forward mounting bracket and bolt are here now too. I also got new GM starter mounting bolts and washers.

Now I just need to get it all back in.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Make sure the starter itself is tight when put back.

Hopefully, the flywheel had not been damaged by the old improperly installed starter.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator

Last edited by JMJNet; 08-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in