Question: FLATOUT head gaskets - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2017, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
ryanhanson386
High Compression

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

FLATOUT head gaskets

recently been helpin a buddy with his 95 Chevy 3500hd with 6.5L TD... He's been having trouble with head gaskets so he decided to spend a lil extra money n get ARP studs/nuts, n got FLATOUT head gaskets... They are a copper gasket with a clear rubber coating on em. After reassemblin the motor n torquing everything to ARP specs it ran pretty good for about 2 days, then noticed the coolant reservoir was bubblin, the radiator hoses would build up pressure within seconds of runnin. We did some research n tried a few things, thought Rad was clogged or heater core wasn't flowing properly, got a new Rad n bypass heater core n it's STILL building up crazy amounts of pressure, enough to blow lower Rad hose off, even builds pressure without the belt on n cycling water pump.... We are at a loss n not sure what to do.. Any suggestions would be great, hopin the motor doesn't have to come out again, but it's notlookin too good... Any suggestions would be great.. Has anyone ever ran FLATOUT gaskets on their 6.5L? What about making a score in gaskets around cylinders like instructions say?? What purpose does that serve???

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.
Never heard of Flatout Gaskets and it sounds to me like they were complete junk.
Time to pull those heads again and do it right

We recommend what's listed in the FAQ, parts list section of the forum.
FelPro (Head Gasket) "Need 2": 9701PT

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
ryanhanson386
High Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkDually View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Never heard of Flatout Gaskets and it sounds to me like they were complete junk.
Time to pull those heads again and do it right

We recommend what's listed in the FAQ, parts list section of the forum.
FelPro (Head Gasket) "Need 2": 9701PT
I had a feelin that was comin, luckily I know the motor like the back of my hand so pullin it won't be too awful bad.. I'd never heard of FLATOUT gaskets till a few weeks ago, not gonna waste time with those POS ever again.... Well I really do appreciate the help, changin gaskets isn't too bad, could be a lot worse.. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
tugboat94
Diesel Nut

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

The Suburban Club Member

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Victor reiz gaskets were mentioned on several 6.5 site including this one so when I did my heads in January I used them with around studs. Truck runs great 4k miles since heads redone no complaints
Old 06-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
ryanhanson386
High Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat94 View Post
Victor reiz gaskets were mentioned on several 6.5 site including this one so when I did my heads in January I used them with around studs. Truck runs great 4k miles since heads redone no complaints
What would be the best gaskets to go with?? I'm pretty new to 6.5L, it's definitely a different kinda beast... Started with crate motor came with crank, bearings, pistons, n timing chain assembled.. Rebuild went smoothly, should have figured things were going too good to be true... Prior to installin FLATOUT head gaskets, did some research on em, in many applications it states to use a dremel n make a score around each cylinder before installing, NOT mandatory but recommended... I've NEVER heard of anything like that, What would be the purpose of doin this?? FLATOUT gaskets are smooth copper gaskets with a clear rubber coating.... From what I've heard FLATOUT gaskets are used in high compression or racing motors..... FLATOUT junk gaskets is what they should be called

Old 06-11-2017, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
ryanhanson386
High Compression

FLATOUT gaskets continued

As I suspected, pass side head gasket blew.. Last cylinder next to water passage... Gasket was about to fail next to front passage on same side... Checked driver side gasket n the gasket failed between BOTH middle cylinders which in turn caused motor to make very loud knockin sound... FLATOUT gaskets are from Summit Racing, they do suggest takin gaskets to machine shop n having a fire ring or compression ring engraved in the gaskets themselves to better seal the heads... It's Only suggested does NOT say required..... If ya don't have gaskets engraved, ya don't stand a chance at sealin the heads properly, ya might as well pull motor back out after ya fire it up.. I DO NOT recommend using the FLATOUT head gaskets for the 6.5 from Summit Racing, waste of time n money... Lesson Learned

Last edited by OkDually; 06-11-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Merged to existing thread on subject.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Merged your post to the existing thread on the head gasket
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sirleitet
Diesel Nut

Got pictures of the bad headgasket?
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

Quote:
After reassemblin the motor n torquing everything to ARP specs it ran pretty good for about 2 days, then noticed the coolant reservoir was bubblin, the radiator hoses would build up pressure within seconds of runnin.
For the record, and any future readers, these symptoms are a sure sign of a blown head gasket.

In your research I'm surprised you didn't find anything mentioning the head gasket was bad.

Also, investing in a combustion leak tester would be worth while. It'll tell you if burned exhaust gases have entered the coolant system.

One last thing, did you put sealant on the head bolt threads? Some of them go into water passages.

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override
Old 06-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
ryanhanson386
High Compression

Yes used the Right Stuff for bolts goin into water jackets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in