air in coolant issues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jason Cottier
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

air in coolant issues

Hello everyone,

This may be old hat for some but I have been searching this site for an answer and have had no luck.

I have a 98 gmc 3500 with the 6.5 in it. This has always been a very warm truck. However during a cold spell(very cold) my rad developed a leak over night. Not big just a little. I spoke with a mechanic and he said that is not uncommon for the flexible seal in the rad to shrink enough for it to leak. Sure enough as it warmed the small leak was gone.

Then on a trip to the city I noticed it wasn't very warm inside when I left but didn't think much of it. While stopped at a light i noticed it got cold almost immediately. Then when I accelerated on the green there was a cloud of white smoke behind me.

Talking to my mechanic again he figured I must have low coolant level(I didn't) or air lock. He said these engines do crazy things if they are not warm. I opened the radiator cap and ran the motor for about an hour constantly checking for the coolant level to dip to purge the air. It didn't dip and the temp didn't get any better either.

A couple years ago I changed the heater core and never had an issue with air lock at all. I did however come across a message here explaining how to purge the air with the release screw over the thermostat housing. Did that ...no luck. In fact when I stop the truck it gurgles and pops away. I turn the relief screw and there's a little more air. Also I can hear very faintly a high pitched noise sounding suspiciously like air movement being sucked in somewhere. Does this procedure have to be done numerous times or is air getting inside somehow?

As soon as I increase the rpms', heat is fine. As soon as I idle....5 seconds its cold. Also after idling for over 1.5 hrs the lower rad hose is cold, the upper hot. the return line to the radiator cap reservoir is cold to luke warm.

It seems there is definitely air in the system. I did notice that there is a quick connect at the thermostat housing for the line to the heater core. Is it possible for air to get sucked in there? I know many are thinking cracked head right now. There is no water in the oil, the white smoke I experienced is not the lingering sweet smelling smoke of a cracked head, and there is no discoloration at all in the reservoir and it smells fine to my nose.

I was also wondering if the clutch on the rad fan has failed and it runs all the time.

If anyone can help me out here I would be eternally greatfull

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Injectorsaurus
Flared bumper nostrils

Welcome, fellow Albertan
With the engine cold, the top rad hose should be soft. If you start it, and it instantly stiffens up. Head gaskets

'96 GMC k3500 crew drw (410,000kms) c/w '98 "F" #506 (190,000kms), WT grille, 2.5" xover dropped 2.5" & welded solid- 3" flopro dp-4" DE straight pipe w/ flopro 6195 glass pack, K47, snorkel deleted, 60G's, Bosch injectors, idle mod, #9~bumper, D-max fan, hayden clutch, quick-connect delete, 5/8" bypass restriction, Feed the Beast, boost, pyro, fuel pressure & trans temp gauges, Derale deep cooling pan, Custom trans cooler lines, tru-cool 40k trans cooler, LeroyDiesel oil cooler lines & 1/2" cooler kit, boost bolt & fuel pressure tap, OPS extension, bypass harness & GP override, Walbro lift pump & turbo drain
06 GMC 2500HD ccsb LBZ
94 Chev C1500 ecsb f-code belltech 7+5 drop
98 Chev C3500 ccdrw belltech 8+5 drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabenson View Post
I took it to a reputable diesel mechanic and he rebuilt the injection pump.

Last edited by Injectorsaurus; 03-28-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
dieselolds
Ronald Reagan fan

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

Good advice from injectorsaurus.I'd look into radiator replacement as well.A small leak now could be costly later especially if coolant spews everywhere.It does take some time to expel the air through the thermostat housing but after a few attempts of bleeding the system with the engine at operating temperature it should be okay.How old are the thermostats?I'd look into changing them with some acdelco replacements and give it another go.
1996 GMC Sierra ext.cab Z71....with new genuine GM 6.2 660 short block,4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads,DS4 5521S,82' 6.2 rocker arms,acdelco TP1069/Racor 20S fuel filters,4" diamond eye exhaust,3.73 G80 locker,stanadyne 37818 injectors

1996 Chevy K1500 Z71.....with '99 6.5 506 goodwrench van engine,88-93 6.2 diesel Napa y-pipe,'87 700R4,acdelco TP630F/Racor 20S fuel filters,Bosch non-turbo injectors,stanadyne blue tag 5088

1993 Chevy K1500 Z71...with 97' 6.5 TD 506 block,82' 6.2 rocker arms,stanadyne 37818 injectors,stanadyne blue tag 4911,DSG girdle,reman 700R4,Banks boost/pyrometer gauges,acdelco TP1069/TP943 fuel filter system,4 diamond eye exhaust/2 piece crossover

2008 Mercedes Benz E320 3.0 V6 turbo diesel

2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI

Last edited by dieselolds; 03-28-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Injectorsaurus
Flared bumper nostrils

Are there any noticeable bubbles in the coolant tank?
What does your temp gauge show idling, driving or working?
When was the last time you added coolant?
Does it appear to lose coolant at all?

Take some time to fill out your signature
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/pro...=editsignature

My guess right now is still head gasket
'96 GMC k3500 crew drw (410,000kms) c/w '98 "F" #506 (190,000kms), WT grille, 2.5" xover dropped 2.5" & welded solid- 3" flopro dp-4" DE straight pipe w/ flopro 6195 glass pack, K47, snorkel deleted, 60G's, Bosch injectors, idle mod, #9~bumper, D-max fan, hayden clutch, quick-connect delete, 5/8" bypass restriction, Feed the Beast, boost, pyro, fuel pressure & trans temp gauges, Derale deep cooling pan, Custom trans cooler lines, tru-cool 40k trans cooler, LeroyDiesel oil cooler lines & 1/2" cooler kit, boost bolt & fuel pressure tap, OPS extension, bypass harness & GP override, Walbro lift pump & turbo drain
06 GMC 2500HD ccsb LBZ

Quote:

Last edited by Injectorsaurus; 03-28-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

When cold, the leaky coolant is not evaporating right away.

Check the common area of leak first like the Coolant crossover quick connect on top of the engine. That quick connect are made of soft metal and it will break over time.

Be careful when changing it.
Use a SOCKET instead of open end wrench.
You need a large socket that is why people keep breaking it using open end wrench.
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jason Cottier
Low Boost

you guys are awesome

Wow, what great responses,

Ok yes when engine is cold upper rad hose stiffens up in abut 10 seconds. However there is no coolant smell in the exhaust, no coolant in the oil and no coolant loss.

There are no noticeable bubbles in the reservoir, but there is vapor or steam when it is running without the cap.....but no heat in the fluid. I will check the crossover thing, however I don't see leaks anywhere other than the very tiny high pitched wheeze or suction noise after the motor is turned off.

I have new thermostats but the ones in place seem to be working.The rad is only 2 years old, same with the heater core.Only had the one leak at -40c overnight and it was where the reservoir(cold side) meets the cooling fins.

I seem to be leaning towards the heads. What are the chances that it is just the gasket and the head will be ok? Why are there no typical signs for the head gasket? white sweet lingering steam in exhaust or water in oil.

Your guys' imput is greatly appreciated, much thanks

Jason
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Injectorsaurus
Flared bumper nostrils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cottier View Post
Wow, what great responses,

Ok yes when engine is cold upper rad hose stiffens up in abut 10 seconds. However there is no coolant smell in the exhaust, no coolant in the oil and no coolant loss.

There are no noticeable bubbles in the reservoir, but there is vapor or steam when it is running without the cap.....but no heat in the fluid. I will check the crossover thing, however I don't see leaks anywhere other than the very tiny high pitched wheeze or suction noise after the motor is turned off.

I have new thermostats but the ones in place seem to be working.The rad is only 2 years old, same with the heater core.Only had the one leak at -40c overnight and it was where the reservoir(cold side) meets the cooling fins.

I seem to be leaning towards the heads. What are the chances that it is just the gasket and the head will be ok? Why are there no typical signs for the head gasket? white sweet lingering steam in exhaust or water in oil.

Your guys' imput is greatly appreciated, much thanks

Jason
You need to forget about coolant in oil & white smoke. I'm nearly positive your going to need gaskets. It's possible the only symptom is excessive pressure in the coolant side.

I said in post #2, head gaskets
I said in past #4, head gaskets
And I've said in this post, head gaskets
So, Id day, yes, there's a good chance that it's the just the gaskets and the heads are fine

I love working on 6.5's, bring your truck to red deer & I'll diagnose and fix it for you
06 GMC 2500HD ccsb LBZ

Quote:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

I had a old Fordson diesel tractor that lost a head gasket - no coolant in oil or oil in coolant - but it started pushing fluid out the rad overflow tube because air was being pushed into the cooling system.

With your upper rad hose getting stiff and air getting in the system..it sure sounds like head gaskets.

Which isn't a death sentence for the 6.5 by any means! Just address it as quickly as you can!

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club

Last edited by Rambos_Ride; 03-28-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jason Cottier
Low Boost

Sounds Awesome!

Just gets better and better round here. My email is [email protected]
If you send me your details I can call and set something up. I'm with you on the head gaskets just hanging on to a small flicker of an easier solution.

Jason
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jason Cottier
Low Boost

Thanks

Thanks Rambos, I am hoping to have it looked at this week, actually by injectosaurus. Everyone is so helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambos_Ride View Post
I had a old Fordson diesel tractor that lost a head gasket - no coolant in oil or oil in coolant - but it started pushing fluid out the rad overflow tube because air was being pushed into the cooling system.

With your upper rad hose getting stiff and air getting in the system..it sure sounds like head gaskets.

Which isn't a death sentence for the 6.5 by any means! Just address it as quickly as you can!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in