Misses every time at 86 km +. Also hard start - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Finster
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

6.5 Turbo diesel. Fuel codes,#18 #34 #35 #54, not my PMD...

Posting a bit of an update for my issue. I have a full camper on the back. appr. 650 kg. Running a bit better now with PDM however once I hit 85-90km/hr she starts to miss.Back off throttle and she evens out. If I kick it down (passing gear) she revs but not much power...Cannot put into cruise.
Here is my original post.PS I had ran her out of gas a week or so before this started getting worse. Plus I tried to start when it was really cold. -30, lots of cranking. Not sure if this cold have damaged injector pump or could it be plugged injectors?
ORIGINAL:Hi everyone.
New member here. In need of some guidance. I have a stock 1995 Silverado 1500. with a 6.5 turbo diesel. Only 97,000 km on her. I have virtually NO experience with diesels and need to pick your brains.
I have just recently changed the fuel filter and oil myself. I now (within 600 km of work) Have hard starting 5-6 cranks then a high rev which rolls back to low idle, appr 700 rpm. Black smoke right away then clear. It idles great until its quite hot, then she floats a bit (surges). Check engine light is constant now. No power and missing above 60 km. Very poor mileage as well!
So after reading all the problems with PDMs I relocated a new one to firewall. Absolutely no change.
I notice the lift pump runs quite awhile after truck is shut off (if very cold) and Im getting a hell of a vacuum release when I take off gas cap.(driving with loose cap for now)
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Finster
Low Boost

Misses every time at 86 km +. Also hard start

Posting a bit of an update for my issue. I have a full camper on the back. appr. 650 kg. Running a bit better now with PDM however once I hit 85-90km/hr she starts to miss.Back off throttle and she evens out. If I kick it down (passing gear) she revs but not much power...Cannot put into cruise.
Here is my original post.PS I had ran her out of gas a week or so before this started getting worse. Plus I tried to start when it was really cold. -30, lots of cranking. Not sure if this cold have damaged injector pump or could it be plugged injectors?
New member here. In need of some guidance. I have a stock 1995 Silverado 1500. with a 6.5 turbo diesel. Only 97,000 km on her. I have virtually NO experience with diesels and need to pick your brains.
I have just recently changed the fuel filter and oil myself. I now (within 600 km of work) Have hard starting 5-6 cranks then a high rev which rolls back to low idle, appr 700 rpm. Black smoke right away then clear. It idles great until its quite hot, then she floats a bit (surges). Check engine light is constant now. No power and missing above 60 km. Very poor mileage as well!
So after reading all the problems with PDMs I relocated a new one to firewall. Absolutely no change.
I notice the lift pump runs quite awhile after truck is shut off (if very cold) and Im getting a hell of a vacuum release when I take off gas cap.(driving with loose cap for now)

Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
From your previous posts did you complete the things the members mention for you to do??

Go through all of the grounds?
The other PMD you installed have a resistor??
Did you rule out the PMD extension harness as being bad? ( New parts don't always mean they are good)

Modify the fuel cap for better venting??
Install a clear line on the return side of the IP to help look for air??
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Finster
Low Boost

Yes I did (most) PMD #5 resistor. New cap. Checked all upper grounds( i think) cleaned-re attached. So not too sure how to ensure that harness is good and No on clear line... Im stuck doing this right now in my back alley and its -35 here in Calgary! lol So I'm trying to streamline my repairs a bit. What would you suggest i do first? Any thought on this problem of flue lines bending-breaking inside tank? I have been being buffeted around really bad (ice ruts on roads). Any ways to check this without dropping tank?
Thanks for your time!
Finn
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Quote:
Yes I did (most) PMD #5 resistor. New cap. Checked all upper grounds( i think) cleaned-re attached. So not too sure how to ensure that harness is good and No on clear line... Im stuck doing this right now in my back alley and its -35 here in Calgary! lol So I'm trying to streamline my repairs a bit. What would you suggest i do first? Any thought on this problem of flue lines bending-breaking inside tank? I have been being buffeted around really bad (ice ruts on roads). Any ways to check this without dropping tank?
Thanks for your time!
Finn
Go through all of your grounds using this link for reference.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...d-grounds.html

Did you ever put the PMD on a heatsink? If you didn't you have more than likely fried that PMD!
Regardless of outside temps, you need a heatsink to wick away the heat that is produced by the transistors inside of the PMD or you will essentially cook them.

To check to see if the PMD extension harness is bad you will need to disconnect the PMD w/heatsink from the extension harness and plug it into the stock location. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A HEATSINK! again, you will burn up a PMD in minutes without a heatsink!
If it runs better without the extension harness then your extension harness is bad.

To install a clear line on the return side of IP, follow this information with pic
Picture of Clear Return Line Installed: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post7305306

If you think you have fuel line issues you can pressurize the tank to help locate leaks.
How to Pressurize the Fuel System To Check For Air Leaks:
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post7603650
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Finster
Low Boost

Ahh makes sense. Will try and re-post results. #5 Ok you think?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Quote:
Ahh makes sense. Will try and re-post results. #5 Ok you think?
#5 should work fine.. Most run a #9. The key factor is that you have the Resistor for the PMD to function properly
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
callie454
Lead Moderator
Bidness is Boomin'!

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

CT Smoke Member

Duplicate threads merged.
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
1958 Corvette Dual Quads, 4 speed
2003 Corvette Z06 ProCharger
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
tati56235
Block Heater

Hi some body knows what kind of oil need to used my 6.6 duramax and how many QTS fit in the engine ,i need do oil change

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Prodigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tati56235 View Post
Hi some body knows what kind of oil need to used my 6.6 duramax and how many QTS fit in the engine ,i need do oil change

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
have you considered reading the owners manual for your truck, which includes that information in it? If you bought the truck and didn't get the manual, they can be downloaded for free: GMC Owners | Manuals and Videos | GMC

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in