1994 k3500 Lift pump relay - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
YoungGunDiesel
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1994 k3500 Lift pump relay

Hey all, I tried to use google and the search function here but I cannot seem to just get a clear picture showing me where the lift pump relay is so I can jump it with a peice of wire so I can prime my truck and see if it's at least working.

Long story short I bought a 1994 k3500 Crew cab dually with 207k Miles on it. But hey, can't go wrong for 500$.

The reason why it was so cheap was cause the truck started to misfire on one of the cylinders and then the owner let it sit since 2004...yes sadly for 12 years it has sat. Now he sold it to me but it doesn't even run anymore. Cranks over but doesn't even attempt to run and doesn't get fuel to cylinders. How do I know this?

Well I don't, it's just a assumption based on the fact when it's cranking there's absolutely no smoke from the tail pipe at all. So I'm assuming there's no fuel getting to the cylinders.

The last owner said it's cause the fuel lines under the intake between the injection pump and fuel bowl where leaking and cracked.

Well it's at my house now and I removed the intake manifold and I can tell there was small leaks from the fuel lines and from the bottom of the fuel bowl but no lines where broken completely.

Now I plan to put all new lines back on and Google a fuel bowl rebuild kit (need the little o-ring in the side and the big o-ring on the bottom) and put it all back together but once it's back to tether I will need to know exactly where the fuel pump relay is so I can prime the truck without cranking it for a half hour. Now I know my 1997 had the relay in the drivers side fuse box and was simple enough. I also know that the relay for the 1994 is somewhere on the passenger firewall but I'm not sure exactly what to be looking at. So to sum up my very lengthy story. Simple question is does anyone have a photo pointing it out for me? Thank you in advanced.

P.s any input on my overall dilemma is appreciated.

P.s.s I hope it isn't the injection pump, cause all the lines had diesel in them when I removed them, so some fuel HAD to have made it to the cylinders but hey didn't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunDiesel2 View Post
Hey all, I tried to use google and the search function here but I cannot seem to just get a clear picture showing me where the lift pump relay is so I can jump it with a peice of wire so I can prime my truck and see if it's at least working.

Long story short I bought a 1994 k3500 Crew cab dually with 207k Miles on it. But hey, can't go wrong for 500$.

The reason why it was so cheap was cause the truck started to misfire on one of the cylinders and then the owner let it sit since 2004...yes sadly for 12 years it has sat. Now he sold it to me but it doesn't even run anymore. Cranks over but doesn't even attempt to run and doesn't get fuel to cylinders. How do I know this?

Well I don't, it's just a assumption based on the fact when it's cranking there's absolutely no smoke from the tail pipe at all. So I'm assuming there's no fuel getting to the cylinders.

The last owner said it's cause the fuel lines under the intake between the injection pump and fuel bowl where leaking and cracked.

Well it's at my house now and I removed the intake manifold and I can tell there was small leaks from the fuel lines and from the bottom of the fuel bowl but no lines where broken completely.

Now I plan to put all new lines back on and Google a fuel bowl rebuild kit (need the little o-ring in the side and the big o-ring on the bottom) and put it all back together but once it's back to tether I will need to know exactly where the fuel pump relay is so I can prime the truck without cranking it for a half hour. Now I know my 1997 had the relay in the drivers side fuse box and was simple enough. I also know that the relay for the 1994 is somewhere on the passenger firewall but I'm not sure exactly what to be looking at. So to sum up my very lengthy story. Simple question is does anyone have a photo pointing it out for me? Thank you in advanced.

P.s any input on my overall dilemma is appreciated.

P.s.s I hope it isn't the injection pump, cause all the lines had diesel in them when I removed them, so some fuel HAD to have made it to the cylinders but hey didn't.

Welcome to the forum

Here is the link to properly jump your lift pump for your 94'
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post6784033

The 1994+ Model Year lift pump should deliver fuel with a minimum volume of at least 0.24 liter (1/2 pint) in 15 seconds and pressure of 3 psi minimum

Also, go through all of your grounds using this link for reference

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...d-grounds.html

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 09-17-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

The O-Rings you need to rebuild your FFM are:
Fuel Filter Heater O Ring - GM: 12511962
Water In Fuel O Ring - GM: 12511959
1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Easiest way to prime the LP on a 94.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/***...1&d=1474150467
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBD1-DLC-LP-PRIME.jpg (34.4 KB, 65 views)

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
YoungGunDiesel
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks! You guys are awesome! So I tested it and the lift pump is working epically! So now I must move on to my next issue is why it doesn't fire or even attempt to. No smoke from tail pipe or anything noise of firing.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

After sitting so long you will mostly likely need to rebuild the entire fuel system. Probably everything but the tank and injection pump. If you get it running you'll be chasing issues until it is rebuilt. Start with those soft lines and install a clear line off the top of the ip (1/4" id clear)
91 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.2 Bad Transmission
85 Cadillac Deville factory 4.3 Oldsmobile Diesel
91 GMC Sierra K1500 6.2 NA Bad Transmission
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD All the normal stuff done. DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Rust free beauty
My 94 1 Ton Project here: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...c-revival.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacalips View Post
Even the guys who own them aren't 5.7 guys.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunDiesel2 View Post
Thanks! You guys are awesome! So I tested it and the lift pump is working epically! So now I must move on to my next issue is why it doesn't fire or even attempt to. No smoke from tail pipe or anything noise of firing.
Try changing the PMD with another "known working" PMD w/resistor.(make sure you have a resistor installed!)
Change the Fuel Filter and clean and check the screen manager down inside of the bottom of the Fuel filter manager.
Batteries must be a matched set of equal cranking CCA's and fully charged.
Also, try unplugging the coolant temp sensor on top of the coolant crossover to fool the PCM for longer glow time.
If the vehicle starts, be sure to plug it back in immediately .

If still no start, Open your fuel cap then disconnect the Fuel line at the lift pump and blow Compressed air in the fuel line that goes to the tank to clear out the tank sock.
Then reconnect the line, leaving the fuel cap off and try starting the vehicle.
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio

Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
YoungGunDiesel
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDiesel View Post
After sitting so long you will mostly likely need to rebuild the entire fuel system. Probably everything but the tank and injection pump. If you get it running you'll be chasing issues until it is rebuilt. Start with those soft lines and install a clear line off the top of the ip (1/4" id clear)
I'm willing to put in the arm work and money to do that, as long as it isn't the injection pump that's bad, the cost of a new pump is just outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdually
Try changing the PMD with another "known working" PMD w/resistor.(make sure you have a resistor installed!)
Change the Fuel Filter and clean and check the screen manager down inside of the bottom of the Fuel filter manager.
Batteries must be a matched set of equal cranking CCA's and fully charged.
Also, try unplugging the coolant temp sensor on top of the coolant crossover to fool the PCM for longer glow time.
If the vehicle starts, be sure to plug it back in immediately .

If still no start, Open your fuel cap then disconnect the Fuel line at the lift pump and blow Compressed air in the fuel line that goes to the tank to clear out the tank sock.
Then reconnect the line, leaving the fuel cap off and try starting the vehicle.
Well good news is I have a new FSD Pmd and relocator kit that I'll pop on real quick.

But speaking of Batteries, I don't have a single 6.5 that cranks over "fast" they all have a "eh" cranking speed. Just Fast enough where you don't think your batteries are dead but not as fast as lets say a gas engine or a new diesel I.e Duramax whips over with two new batteries.

But yes the batteries are brand new and both matching (850 CCA)

Again, thank you all for your detailed and quick responses. No other form has been this helpful or "alive" ha-ha

Last edited by YoungGunDiesel; 09-18-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
grabowski
Whistle Pigs Are Cool

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

The Suburban Club Member

The stock Delco MT28 Gear Reduction starter likes to be taken apart, cleaned out, greased and re-installed. Then your starter will spin much faster. http://www.jatonkam35s.com/CUCVTechn...als/1M-128.pdf While you are down there, make a custom 2g/0g battery cable to the solenoid.

Larger positive, cross over, and negative battery cables, 2g/0g will allow the electrical system to work easier.
Midland Diesel Las Vegas Diesel rebuilt 5221 Blue Label IP with ULSD Upgrade & rebuilt Bosch injectors @ 2200psi. 235-85 on 16" PYO alloys. Bilstein HDs, Hellwig rear sway bar. Heath TM. Fluidampr. S&B oiled filter Intake, Provent 200 W/catchcan. Bosch Duraterm GP W/PT Solutions GP harness. WJ FTB. AC Delco Tstat & Red Line Water Wetter. hxtasy PMD #2 resistor on Heath Isolator 4. LS 1/2" oil cooler & lines. OPS Relay Mod & Leroys Hose. Diamond Eye exhaust. Heath 2.5" crossover. W/T Grille. VDO EGT & Vac/Boost gauge with copper line & Leroys Boost Bolt.

- 12-13-16 Out Of Commission @ 194,680k, 50 miles after Teds Mil Takeout Install. Bad noises in the motor.
- 12-29-16 #7 lifters and pushrods replaced and still sounds like a metal trash can half full of hammers rolling down a scree field.
- 03-01-17 @ 194,802 miles she's no longer mine.

12-28-2016: I no longer recommend Badger/kr_services and Ted's Trucks
Old 09-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
YoungGunDiesel
Diesel Fanatic

It actually has a brand new starter and what looks like home made big cables. But I'll verify if the correct starter is even installed. But I do have grim news and it looks like my injection pump is bad. I cracked all the lines to make sure no air and for laughs and giggles I wanted to see what pressure the lines made so I took one off a injector completely and turned it over and it just spits out a tiny drop in a very pathetic manner every now and then. I'm assuming there is no way this is enough pressure to work the injector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in