99 chevy 3500 6.5L won't do 70mph - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trock44057
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

99 chevy 3500 6.5L won't do 70mph

Hello I'm new to this and the hole diesel world I just bought this truck the only mod it had Don was the pmd was relocated and it seemed to run fine on the test drive so I bought it and when I got on the freeway I found out it wouldn't hit 70mph and it seemed like when I would hit the gas pedal it would fall on its face. sense then I have installed a 4"exhaust and I put the number 9 resistor in but it still doesn't seem to run right any help would be great full and as I said before I know nothen about diesel engines but I am very mechanically inclined

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
nsdtk
Diesel Nut

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Any codes? Check your lift pump, and air-fuel filters. Also whats your RPM at 70?

1994 Chevy C3500 6.5L NV4500 ,Outrider by Unique Conversion.Dually club # 1077, DE exhaust, Pressure Referenced Wastegate, LED upgrade in progress, In cab Dorman PMD, optical sensor filter removed ( shocked when i saw it was in there). LP Relay mod. Ate a valve, 117,900 Miles. RIP Engine #1,now 2016 GEP Optimizer powered and QuadStar tuned.
1995 GMC C1500 non turbo 6.5L 4L60E xVDOT truck. High Idle mod. Grey PMD on a FSD sync #9 resistor. Vaccum pump removed. No more EGR. Air intake opened up. 3 inch exaust on a high flow muffler. New push rods, Rockers arms at 246k. Was over10,000ths wear on the rocker arms.1998 style High Flow oil pump installed. Spins tires with little throttle again. 6.2 Injectors.Back running 80mph @ 21mpg. All this and now it won't roll black smoke at all. Just acts like a rocket ship 2004 Leather bucket seats from a Tahoe installed. That was a engineering fiasco glad that's over. Dorman PMD now, Grey one died. Tried number 5 resister again went back to a 9 just a dog with out it.OPS sensor rewired to remove load , fuel pump totally rewired as well. Now QuadStar tuned.
I do not recommend headlights made by Winjet.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Trock44057
Heat Sink

Sorry I forgot to say it has a new lift pump and I did a new air and fuel filter in it and at 67/68 Mph it's around 2or just a little over that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trock44057
Heat Sink

And there are no codes that my cheap obd2 scanner wil show
Old 08-01-2016, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
VanBoy
Diesel Boss

Pacific Iron Mountain Truck Club Member

Fall flat on it's face...sounds like it may be over boosting and defueling.... just a guess.. but that would cause a code...hummm....

Did you check the fuel sock in the tank? Maybe it might have crud on it... slowing the fuel flow at or near 70.... (an idea).
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L N/A x2
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L N/A

================================================== ==
140amp 1996 alt. May 2016 / HO Water pump, Fan Clutch (used OEM), Crank Pulley-Aug 2015 /Stanadyne PMD installed 6/13 replaced- reinstalled D-Tech ,Soot Trap Delete Jan 18, 2014 / Heath TurboMaster Dec 22, 2013 / New OPS (BWD), OPS Relay mod,
black Stanadyne PMD w/ #5-June 2013 / Dorman relocation kit, D-Tech PMD to bumper, #9 resistor- Jan 2013 / Carter Lift Pump, P74143 10-15psi, 32gph- Dec 2012 / Brought home Dec 17, 2012

Other then that, the Chevy is STOCK.

Last edited by VanBoy; 08-01-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
vstech
Eco-Logistical

Send a message via AIM to vstech Send a message via Skype™ to vstech

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

The truck has 4 fuel strainers/filters... The first is inside the fuel tank at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube. That is where I would recommend starting.
Next is the main filter on the intake manifold. When it is changed, the fuel bowl needs to be drained, and sediment gunk needs to be cleaned out.
Next is on the stem of the fuel bowl. There is a small plastic FRAGILE screen that collects gunk before passing fuel to the IP... CLEAN IT or remove it, and get a replacement.
Last, assuming all the first ones are cleaned, is the IP fuel line screen... It is under the fitting.
2000 Chevrolet extended cab long bed 2500 6.5L HO
94 GMC extended cab long bed 6 lug truck 6.5L
Z71 ext cab standard bed S vin with a blown headgasket.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trock44057
Heat Sink

Is it possible that the ip timing is off just a little bit cause I think the guy said it had a new used ip put in it
Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Trock44057
Heat Sink

Okay so I guess I forgot to add a few other things for this post what I bought the truck it has a leaking fuel line I repaired that I found out return line was leaking so I fix that one and then I went through the online and found out how to bleed the system and when I did that I noticed on my new fuel filter the bleeder top has a little nipple on it that the fuel supposed to come out of and it doesn't it comes out the side so I don't know if maybe that is leaking sucking air for some reason to that or if I picked up a bad fuel filter again sorry like I said before I'm new to this I keep trying to post the stuff about this truck and I know I'm probably irritating you guys not remembering what's all been done to the truck thank you again for all the help
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
SixFiveObsessed
Diesel Student

My filter bleeder comes out the threads of the screw not the nipple on top. It's a brand new hastings filter. What I do to make sure there are NO air bubbles at all in the line is jump the lift pump in the fuse box, put a hose from the water drain T-valve to a (clean) 5-gallon bucket and let it fill the bucket and make sure there are not any tiny pin-holes. Once or twice a year I have to tight all the hose clamps on the fuel lines down cuz they do let tiny bubbles into the line and even just they make the truck "fall on it's face" as you say.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
OkDually
Administrator

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trock44057 View Post
Okay so I guess I forgot to add a few other things for this post what I bought the truck it has a leaking fuel line I repaired that I found out return line was leaking so I fix that one and then I went through the online and found out how to bleed the system and when I did that I noticed on my new fuel filter the bleeder top has a little nipple on it that the fuel supposed to come out of and it doesn't it comes out the side so I don't know if maybe that is leaking sucking air for some reason to that or if I picked up a bad fuel filter.
What brand filter did you install? If it was the WIX brand there is a gasket seal that needs to be installed for it to seal.

Remove the filter and inspect. Down inside of the fuel canister there is a small screen that filters fuel as well..
Regardless of the brand there should be a gasket between the filter and the top of the canister.

1996 K3500 6.5L,( "F" Eng #141 cast block) 5 speed manual, crewcab, dually longbed: 208,000mi.
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust w/2.5" Flo-Pro Crossover
AirDog II DF165 w/ tank sock delete - XDP
TD-Max boost controller - Kennedy Diesel
OPS extension hose - Leroy Diesel
Glow Plug Harness- PT Wiring Solutions
Glowshift Maxtow EGT,Boost, Fuel gauges
Boost & Fuel Pressure Bolts - Leroy Diesel
2/0 Battery Cable Upgrade - PT Wiring Solutions
PMD w/#9 resistor and Re-Location Kit, mounted to bumper - Leroy Diesel
GM-5 Turbocharger
4.10 gear ratio
OptiLube summer + Formula

Proud member #1039 of The 3500 Dually Club

Last edited by OkDually; 08-01-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in