Stuck injector or rod knock - Page 5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 AM   #41 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Do not unbolt the IP, otherwise you'll be doing TDCO too.... Removal of the lower intake is necessary to remove all the hardlines from the backside of the IP. IIRC, theres an order for hardline removal, more so for installation so you dont work yourself into a corner.

If you haven't already. Good time to replace all the rubber hoses under the intake while you have unfettered access.
3- 24" long 1/4" ID fuel hose, IP supply, WIF petcock and WIF drain (-8" for main return hose under FFM housing.
1- 24" long 3/8" ID fuel hose, FFM supply

Might even want to rebuild the FFM housing while its out, consist of a couple o-rings...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg injectorlinerouting.jpg (72.1 KB, 35 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
MSF
Diesel Student

Hard to say from the video if that noise is metallic or just air "puffing" but I have a similar issue. Mine is a puff through the intake, and I suspect a valve or lifter sticking. If a compression test is inconclusive, you can pull the intake and (run to) see which cylinder is the culprit, then tear down from there. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
LordImpala
Glow Plug

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Thanks heavychevy for all the diagrams. Here are the rockers. All the clips are in place on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160322_163217_1458690089643.jpg (64.8 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
LordImpala
Glow Plug

Hey Heavy,

I am back on the wagon. Took a couple of days off to regroup. I pulled all the injectors. I'm going to harbor freight to pickup a diesel pressure kit. I'll post the numbers as soon as I get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
Do not unbolt the IP, otherwise you'll be doing TDCO too.... Removal of the lower intake is necessary to remove all the hardlines from the backside of the IP. IIRC, theres an order for hardline removal, more so for installation so you dont work yourself into a corner.

If you haven't already. Good time to replace all the rubber hoses under the intake while you have unfettered access.
3- 24" long 1/4" ID fuel hose, IP supply, WIF petcock and WIF drain (-8" for main return hose under FFM housing.
1- 24" long 3/8" ID fuel hose, FFM supply

Might even want to rebuild the FFM housing while its out, consist of a couple o-rings...
Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
LordImpala
Glow Plug

Hey Guys,

I have some numbers now. My battery ran low while testing 5, and still need 7. I have the charger on it. Here are the numbers. Is this motor done??

2- 390
4- 80psi 100 psi wet
6- 380
8- 380

1- 360
3- 330
5- 290 low battery
7- ????
Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

Lets not get hasty..

IIRC, cylinder #3 is on the drivers side, 2nd from the front. Clean injector was found on the passenger side, #4 I take it.. hmmm opposite of..

Cylinder number, Firing order

The PCM has the ability to derate or turn off individual cylinder(s)..

Might want to go 'head and pull drivers valve cover while your this deep, if you havent already.

Did you do your comp test with the rocker cover(s) off or...... Curious if you were able to observe the valvetrain, signs of a flat cam lobe or excessively lose push rods that may be bent.

Sugggest you keep track of which injector(s) came from which cylinder(s)?
A quick pop test may reveal faulty injector(s) behind the cylinder imbalances.

The compression test on 6.5s are often misleading, dare I say inaccurate especially if your not on top of s'it..

The engine is supposed to be brought up to operating temp before the test. Good luck removing the injectors or glowplugs without burning the pooh out yourself. I would suggest strategically placing a space heater to pre-heat the block and oil pan (oil) an hour or two before you begin as to maintain a consistant elevated engine temp throughout the test..

The batteries must be fully charged so that the starter spins the engine over with extreme ease. I would top 'em off between each cylinder if not every other.
The engine needs to turn over half dozen revolutions or more per test. Doing a leak down test also?

Several things can account for the low #s. bent pushrod, bent valve, cracked valve and/or seat, blown head gasket, etc etc etc. all not necessarily terminal ...

FWIW. COMPRESSION TEST
Old 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
LordImpala
Glow Plug

Hey Heavy,

Thanks for staying with the thread. I just remembered that I have a block heater. I don't need it in socal, but the truck came from lake shasta.
I have the valve cover off on the even bank side that is giving me trouble. The rockers are moving, but I had my wife looking at them when I was cranking for the compression test. If I remove the two bolts on the rockers. Can I safely check to see if the rockers rods are bent? Let me know.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
LordImpala
Glow Plug

I was reading about doing the leak test over the weekend. Should I check the rocker rods first, or do the leak test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
Lets not get hasty..

IIRC, cylinder #3 is on the drivers side, 2nd from the front. Clean injector was found on the passenger side, #4 I take it.. hmmm opposite of..

Cylinder number, Firing order

The PCM has the ability to derate or turn off individual cylinder(s)..

Might want to go 'head and pull drivers valve cover while your this deep, if you havent already.

Did you do your comp test with the rocker cover(s) off or...... Curious if you were able to observe the valvetrain, signs of a flat cam lobe or excessively lose push rods that may be bent.

Sugggest you keep track of which injector(s) came from which cylinder(s)?
A quick pop test may reveal faulty injector(s) behind the cylinder imbalances.

The compression test on 6.5s are often misleading, dare I say inaccurate especially if your not on top of s'it..

The engine is supposed to be brought up to operating temp before the test. Good luck removing the injectors or glowplugs without burning the pooh out yourself. I would suggest strategically placing a space heater to pre-heat the block and oil pan (oil) an hour or two before you begin as to maintain a consistant elevated engine temp throughout the test..

The batteries must be fully charged so that the starter spins the engine over with extreme ease. I would top 'em off between each cylinder if not every other.
The engine needs to turn over half dozen revolutions or more per test. Doing a leak down test also?

Several things can account for the low #s. bent pushrod, bent valve, cracked valve and/or seat, blown head gasket, etc etc etc. all not necessarily terminal ...

FWIW. COMPRESSION TEST
Old 04-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Expert

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

If you remove the rocker shafts you can check the push rods, just roll them on something flat, you'll see quick if any are bent..

While all the shafts are off you could do a leak down on each cly while everything should be closed...

If all shows good thus far, put rocker's back on, then warm the motor & check compression...

owner Twisted Steel Performance
Head Porting, Ceramic coating

like us on Facebook

Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Sirleitet
Diesel Nut

Remember which order the push rods came out from, or you're gonna have a hard time after.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in