Inline Coolant Heater Installed WRONG!!!? - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I ran into the same thing. Just take your time and knock out the list one by one. Oil cooler hoses, harmonic balancer, glow plugs, cooling tower flush, etc. When trucks have been neglected or the P.O. didn't know any better, its a lot to do up front. The reality is, the truck will be awesome and reliable after a month or two of bringing it "up to snuff".
Thanks man, seriously that makes me feel a lot better. What do I really expect after 276K miles? I can almost feel myself getting more sensitive to weird vibrations/sounds ect. the more things I find need fixed on her. Just upsetting when you thought you finally found the truck you've wanted since I was 13, and it turns out its sort of limping.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
gimpyrobb
Diesel Apprentice

The way I see it, I could spend $50-60 thousand on a new truck, or "make right" things on a truck I've wanted for a long time for less than $10,000. I've always liked this body style and have accepted its not going to have the power of a bombed Cummins, but I couldn't afford the fuel for one anyway. There is no truck that I wouldn't modify, so I will make my truck mine.

2000 crew cab dually 6.5.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
JCDiesel
Let's take the Truck!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Minnesota/Western Wisconsin DP Club Member

I didnt pay attention to signage. Now that you mention I see hes a c class correct no adapter seals needed. Win win.
82 C10 2WD 6.2 Parts Truck
91 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.2 Bad Transmission
85 Cadillac Deville factory 4.3 Oldsmobile Diesel
91 GMC Sierra K1500 6.2 NA Bad Transmission
94 K3500 CC DRW 6.5TD All the normal stuff done. DE exhaust Custom Parker Racor Rust free beauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
my guess would be shocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacalips View Post
Even the guys who own them aren't 5.7 guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

You could also put a halogen work light under the truck, pointed up at the oil pan, that would keep things warm if you had it under there for a few hours.
B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Remote fuel filter with 1R-0749 CAT 2 micron filter or Donaldson P551000 and 200 watt electric pad heater
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
Dipaco Remote FSD with #9 resistor behind bumper
1999 High capacity (opt K47) Air box-Amsoil EaO filter
AT&T Turbo-Vacuum pump deleted
4 wheel disc brakes-4 headlight on Mod
Member #1 of The Diesel Place Black Belt Club
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Tommygunner
Diesel Expert

Yeah the halogen lights help when working in the cold. They put out a lot of heat for a quick hand warm up.
I would bang out the fixit list one by one. Starting with the block heater. It is an easy job.
This makes the job a lot easier: Drain coolant. Not all the coolant will drain out of the block. So drill a small hole in the bottom of the Block heater. This will allow the rest of the coolant to drain out the hole. So you dont get a coolant bath when you pull the heater out of the block. Then unscrew the little screw in the middle of the heater The hole also gives you something to stick a screw driver in and pry out the heater. Makes the job fast and easy.
As far as the other stuff. Just keep a close eye on the cooler lines. Make sure the leak does not get worse. When you do the block heater inspect where they go into the block. make sure the clips/fittings are not rusted out. If Ok they could wait till warmer weather. Replacing the lines will take a while the job is worse in 0 degree weather.
Look at the harmonic balancer and pulley. If the rubber on both is intact and good. plus you cant move the pulley back and forth by hand with the belt loose. you should be Ok. till warmer weather. If the rubber is gone or bad in either HB or pulley. Replace NOW! or you can break a crankshaft.

If Americans ever allow banks to control their currency. First by deflation then inflation. The banks will deprive the people of all property. Until their children wake up homeless.
1998 GMC K1500 WT, 6.5 TD. 80,000 miles. Auto, 3.73 gears. Remote PMD mounted on the radiator support. KOJO tune WOW! Carter HD lift pump. Feed the beast, GM8 turbo with Hurricane impeller. K&N filter. Ported, gasket matched upper intake. Leroy's braded stainless steel oil lines.
New Bosch injectors. Flow matched 2200 lbs pop
3 1/2" custom Aero turbine exhaust. Nutered Cat
2" Lift RS5000 Shocks. 285 X 17 Bridgestone AT summer tires. 12.50 x 33 x 15 Procomp MTs winter. Powertrax No slip locker in rear.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Self Ignition

I actually used one of those halogen lights to keep the oil warm last night. It worked pretty well actually. I think my 600 CCA a piece batteries are a severe part of the hard start problem. Thanks guys. The words of encouragement really do help a guy who is very much feeling overwhelmed right now. I can't tell you all thanks enough.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

^ Ya I agree. Batteries aren't strong enough. Glad the light thing helped you out
B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Remote fuel filter with 1R-0749 CAT 2 micron filter or Donaldson P551000 and 200 watt electric pad heater
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
Dipaco Remote FSD with #9 resistor behind bumper
1999 High capacity (opt K47) Air box-Amsoil EaO filter
AT&T Turbo-Vacuum pump deleted
4 wheel disc brakes-4 headlight on Mod
Member #1 of The Diesel Place Black Belt Club
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crazyxxxinsane
In Rememberance of Sam

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazyxxxinsane

Badger State Diesel Club Member

you want at LEAST 1000CA 850CCA batteries for these trucks, you got the glow plugs pulling juice to heat up, then you got that beasty starter cranking a higher compression engine. when u got starter speed, along with glow plug heat, it makes a HUGE difference on starting capability.
1995 Chevrolet K1500 4x4 ECSB - 230,xxx Miles - New PMD and Relocation kit - Custom 3" bent down pipe and cross over -Pillar Gauge Pod -Rancho Steering Stabilizer HX40W Turbo -New Harmonic Balancer - 8k HID headlights -"Buddy Chip" - OPS/LP Relay kit installed - New Heavy rear coil over shocks - new glow plugs -"F" Style intake - EGR Delete
1994 Chevrolet K1500 Reg Cab Long Box - Gifted to my father for a surprise
1998 GMC ECLB Dually. 197K Miles-PMD relocate-new IP last year-glow plugs-New Brakes all around-Running board lights-customized FFM relocate-rebuilt injectors-Diamond Eye Exhaust
Proud member #1097 of the 3500 Dually Club
Proud member of the
Old SOB's Club
Old 02-13-2016, 04:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jonno_G
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat94 View Post
The factory oil cooler lines are garbage and the little clip that holds tye line to the fitting goes bad and you lose all your oil in about 10 seconds and booooooooom your engine goes bye bye it is common belief on this forum that you have to change them Or your engine is gonna die
I actually had this happen to mine about four days after I bought it. Thankfully I noticed it as the oil pressure gauge was dropping and shut it off immediately and avoided damage.

Anyway, being in Australia I couldn't easily get new clips so I replaced them with 'E-clip' type circlips. Works brilliantly!

Others: 1984 Holden WB '1 Tonner', 1989 Toyota HiLux with 4.2 Litre Holden V8 conversion, 1977 Two-Door Range Rover - I could go on, but that would just be wasting space...
Old 02-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
mbost
Diesel Apprentice

Pacific Iron Mountain Truck Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
The way I see it, I could spend $50-60 thousand on a new truck, or "make right" things on a truck I've wanted for a long time for less than $10,000. I've always liked this body style and have accepted its not going to have the power of a bombed Cummins, but I couldn't afford the fuel for one anyway. There is no truck that I wouldn't modify, so I will make my truck mine.

Can you convince my wife of that please?

By the way OP, these trucks are great. They can take a bit to get right, but once there, are usually problem free and reliable. Just like any older vehicle, they do require a little more up keep. Just keep knocking things out one at the time and you'll have a beauty in no time. Good luck.

Gear Drive Timing Set, IP turned up, Cam/IP timing advanced, 6.5 Marine Injectors, K&N Air filter, SM465, NP205, 3.08 Gears, 33" Tires, 6" Lift/Dual Front Shocks, P/S Cooler & Filter installed, Aftermarket Oil Cooler, ARP Head Studs, 6.5 Head Gaskets, 1" Rear Coolant Crossover, 97 6.5 engine fan/clutch, 6.5 Electric Lift Pump. 6.5 Filter Housing, 6.5 GM4 Turbo 10 psi, AD244, 6.5 Serp Belt System
SOLD "Cinnamon" 1994 C3500 Crew Cab 4 door 6.5 F code

"Mickey" 1993 K3500 Crew Cab 4 door SRW 6.5TD & 4L80E 4.10 gears 219404 miles.
Diamond eye exhaust 4", 3" DP, and 2.5" crossover, AFE oiled cold intake system, Leroys Lift pump and harness upgrade, GlowShift Boost Bolt and Gauges, Walking J FTB Kit.

Engines: Mobil 5W40 Synthetic W/Fleetguard Filters. NV4500: Redline MT 85. GM14, GM10, SM465 and NP205: Royal Purple 85W140. GMTD Scan Tech

Last edited by mbost; 02-13-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in