Help, I need the lengths on the fuel injection lines. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
asnowsquall

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Help, I need the lengths on the fuel injection lines.

I'm thinking of heating my fuel injection lines between the IP and injectors so that the veggy oil stays hot, especially in the winter time. In order to design I need the lengths of the 8 lines. Does anyone have these off, or have them in a place where they can be measured? Would appreciate anyones help.
Thanks,
Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
edzzed
Diesel Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowsquall View Post
I'm thinking of heating my fuel injection lines between the IP and injectors so that the veggy oil stays hot, especially in the winter time. In order to design I need the lengths of the 8 lines. Does anyone have these off, or have them in a place where they can be measured? Would appreciate anyones help.
Thanks,
Dave
i don't know the lenghts, but would suggest a setup where you start the engine on diesel and once the veggie fuel heats up switch tanks over to veggie and when readying to shutdown switch tanks back to diesel. probably easier to do than heating injector lines and possibly much cheaper to do. just outta curiosity how do you intend on heating the lines and what about the injectors themselves.

98 GMC dually 4x4. New IP under warranty code 1216 at 150,000 Km's. Another IP at Turbovanmans shop at 277,000 KM's 4 inch flo-pro from Warpspeed, turbo back exhaust, 2.25 inch x-over pipe. Boost and Pyro gauges. heath hp4, HO injectors, "A"T"T" turbo, remote mounted PMD with #9 resistor, vacuum pump removed and using can-tire belt #10006k, engine replacement @ 58000kms, new tranny @156,000kms. Also have ALL LED lighting at rear, clear cab lenses with LED bulbs. Rancho shocks all around. DEVILSOWN water/meth injection. Hayden 2839 fan clutch. 9 blade plastic Dmax rad fan, part #15-80690 at autopartstomorrow. Peninsular heads. B&M shiftplus. 24ft side-trak toy hauler. also running with a 1999 KLR 650 dual sport m/c. and a 12ft. aluminum Princecraft with a 9.9 hp TWO stroke Yamaha as I luv the smell of burning oil, NOT. and one wife who insists I keep a light foot on the pedal. we are year round campers. and we breed Toy Poodles & Malti-poos. check out the 0-70 mph vid http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...0-70mph001.mp4
And the toys http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...rip2009237.jpg
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
northern lights diesel
Clutch

I have my engine out and down, I'll try to measure them and post back to you tomorrow night.

'98 suburban 2500 454 7.4L
124,000 miles
PIAA lights, directional rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
asnowsquall

edzzed, check out my signature. As far as heating goes, I'm thinking Nichrome wire or Claybourn heat tape. Fattywagon also make line heaters. Just looking at ways to keep the injectors clean as they are a pain in the *** to get to. Hey another reason to put a Cummins 12V in.

thanks northern.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

Dave, I'll have to look but I think the fattywagon heaters didn't do much when a guy tested them on the infopop forum. Do you currently have one of those plate heaters? I'll look for the electric that is actually supposed to work well but I think it's more money than fattywagon's.

found it

http://www.plantdrive.com/page0/page41/page41.html
B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Remote fuel filter with 1R-0749 CAT 2 micron filter or Donaldson P551000 and 200 watt electric pad heater
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
Dipaco Remote FSD with #9 resistor behind bumper
1999 High capacity (opt K47) Air box-Amsoil EaO filter
AT&T Turbo-Vacuum pump deleted
4 wheel disc brakes-4 headlight on Mod
Member #1 of The Diesel Place Black Belt Club
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
asnowsquall

Guy,
Thinking of one of these 26 plate heat exchangers http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

May build (with all my spare time) something electric like the Vegitherm. I'd like it to be something thats long so it has more chance for heat exchange.

What I really want to try is the electric heat right on the injector lines. I think its a second chance to get the oil temp up before forcing the oil through the injectors. I think that it could possibly help with earlier switch overs when the heated oil is trying to heat up the IP.

I mean I have to start to do something with the extra alternator and batteries.....

It funny that the worst injector on the drivers side was the front one. It will be interesting to see what the other side looks like. Started much better this morning, so I'm runnning WVO again.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

Ya, Omarsales has some nice plate heat exchangers. I think fattywagons is the one that has the heat lines that wrap around the injector lines. iirc they weren't that expensive either.
B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Remote fuel filter with 1R-0749 CAT 2 micron filter or Donaldson P551000 and 200 watt electric pad heater
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
northern lights diesel
Clutch

hey asnowsquall here is the mearurements of my injector lines. 21 1/2, 21,
20 1/2, 21, 24, 22, 20, and 23 inches. I hope that this info helps you out.

'98 suburban 2500 454 7.4L
124,000 miles
PIAA lights, directional rims
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
asnowsquall

Thanks a lot Northern! I figured around 2 feet.

I'm tempted to try my own experiment heating the whole length of each of the 8 lines. It's just that it may take more time than just buying and installing Fattywagons lines.

FYI, I missed spelled Clayborn above and can't seem to edit it. http://www.claybornlab.com/

I know its not cold out, but my truck is starting much better now after only replacing the injectors on one side, looking forward to the other 4.

Thanks again Northern. Will post progress of heated lines.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
guybb3
Diesel Veteran

The Suburban Club Member

Dave, I apologize. After rereading the whole post, I realize you were talking about the Fattywagons injector line heaters and not the fuel line heater. I heard the injector line heaters work well, if you do the install right.

B&M Deep Tranny Pan
Walbro FRB-5 Lift Pump
---------------------
got RXT X 300? hang on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in