Drive shaft dust cover? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 AM  
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Drive shaft dust cover?

I replaced my drive shaft's center support bearing and in the process took the dust cover off the front smaller drive shaft without thinking (thought a new one would come with the bearing). Now the front of the bearing is more exposed than it would be normally, and wondering if anyone has ideas on where to get new ones (if even possible)? Should I even worry about it?

It's the small disc like cover that slides over the drive shaft before the bearing does. If I can't get a replacement without getting a new drive shaft I may just fab up a dust shield and bolt it over the bearing housing.

Edit: I'm talking about the disc/dish like cover on the right of this image just before the actual girth of the drive shaft begins.

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override

Last edited by MyShibby65TD; 09-11-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:50 PM  
MyShibby65TD
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

So it seems a lot of aftermarket manufacturers have stopped making the bearings, and the ones that all the major parts stores carry do not include the correct dust shields. The newest one I put on has a small lip that gets really close to the ridge on the drive shaft and probably keeps most of the dust out due to proximity, but I packed it with grease to help keep it cleaner.

I guess the short answer is, no one makes the dust covers/shields anymore. I'll just end up fabbing one from some sheet metal to help keep snow/salt out during winter.

SOLD 1993 6.5L TD K2500, EC/LB, 4x4, Auto, 252,000 miles
4" DE, trans cooler & 8AN lines, 10AN oil cooler lines, nylon fuel lines, AD244, LB7 fan, Medallion marine injectors, OPS relay, glow plug override, OPS override
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in