My saga with issues currently DTC 35 - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I got the filter out. Dang would it kill em to put a little slack in any of the wires? Still get the 35 on the new PMD and don't get it on the old one.

I can see why people give up on these trucks. I think my next step will be to get my other spare black pmd and see if that does the same thing.

15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Yes, try the PMD from the other truck.

For humor, put this PMD on the other truck and see if you can get 35 also.

Is that a Dorman PMD?

Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator

Last edited by JMJNet; 08-22-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

The new one is a Dorman one. It didn't look used so I don't think it was abused but who knows one of the few labels on it is the made in china. Don't remember what my spare is other than black. The other truck is a 96. I assume that has an equivalent code?
15 VW Golf wagon, TDI. Did the buyback on my 13 Jetta TDI wagon so it was basically a trade up.
96 Burb K25 3.42's SOLD at 340K miles, told it was all original, close race between engine wearing out or body completely rust out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Looks for PMD does not mean a thing.

I have a few that is bad but still looks good on the outside.
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 08-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

My advice.. Plug in the old grey PMD to that grey IP harness but first, be sure to inspect those contacts for any signs of fretting corrosion (if you see so much as a smudge mark, likely corrosion), and double check that the grey IP harness terminals are gold. Use a magnifying glass if necessary..

IIRC, I read theres a grey PMD and grey harness (upgraded gold laden)? If so, that IP is likely a new reman, installed with the rebuilt engine perhaps? Certainly not orignal otherwise it would have a black PMD and harness set up..

Since its new to you. I would strongly advise you to take a day and drop, clean, inspect the tank. Clean, inspect and test the fuel sender, replace the strainer and all the o-ring seals used on the sender and lp connections. Go through those "Fuel Supply System Checks" posted earlier. I would go one step further and rebuild the entire fuel system, at least freshen it up if necessary, new hoses, seals, etc..
Fuel contamination, fuel restrictions, and "air leaks" are most often listed as the MOST LIKELY or POSSIBLE CAUSES yet are often the last on everyones list, done thoroughly that is.... Often these "checks" are given a quick sniff test in passing. Fuel leaks and air leaks are NOT synonymous..

As for seeing DTC 35 with the dorkman. Assuming the PMD isnt "defetive" and its extention harness is all good. If the Dorman PMD is "tripping" out already (producing DTCs), most likely an air leak.. champagne bubbles from the sounds of it..

Install a clear fuel hose from the FFM outlet to the IP inlet, as your more likely to see air bubbles entering the IP vs exiting the IP as is often the suggested approach.. That short cut might work for DB2 systems but if theres bubbles appearing out the DS IP return fitting in any volume, I seriously doubt the engine will even start much less run and if it does start its likely running like pure dog pooh and extremely rough, smoking out the hood, bucking, kicking, skipping if not trying to jump out of the engine bay...
Proper way to check DS pumps for air is between the FFM and IP, not after the IP.. After the IP is to determine if an air leak is ORIGINATING inside the IP, not upstream of..
Old 08-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

See page 2 of this Stanadyne service bulletin for DTC 35 causes: http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerporta...lletin/500.pdf
Old 08-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
HeavyChevy95
Diesel Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyack View Post
See page 2 of this Stanadyne service bulletin for DTC 35 causes: http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerporta...lletin/500.pdf

Freddy, that link is a bit outdated. All 1998 or older models should use 1998 Service Information..

See GM Service Bulletin #77-63-06A: No Start, Stall, DTC 35
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-12-03_014404_77-63-06A.pdf (204.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by HeavyChevy95; 08-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
Freddy, that link is a bit outdated. All 1998 or older models should use 1998 Service Information..

See GM Service Bulletin #77-63-06A: No Start, Stall, DTC 35
Thanks! I added the 1998 Service Bulletin to a new Injection Pump Service Bulletins category in the FAQs.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
57diesel
Diesel Veteran

Didn't see anything too exciting in that 'new' document.

So the recap:

Original grey PMD no codes, starts and runs fine.

New black PMD starts and runs fine but get a code 35 right away. Does not matter if its plugged direct or through the new cable.

Optical sensor filter is currently removed, didn't seem to change anything.

Have not driven it since I got it home last night but since installing the new PMD yesterday afternoon it was running fine other than the light being on. Stopped and started several times and would guess put on about 100 miles.

IP is for sure not a factory original. If I had to guess I would say it was rebuilt by a Stanadyne dealer/shop. It has a gray PMD and the matching harness. Everything that is part of the pump assembly that could be moved or adjusted including the PMD connector has a bit of orange 'seal' paint on it. The paint on the PMD connector was still in tact when I disconnected it yesterday. Contacts do look gold and clean. Previous owner was not much of a do it yourself guy, I don't think he really had to do much to it because it didn't drive it much. I think all he said he had done was a lift pump. Guessing the major work was done by the owner before him that put the motor and trans in so time wise it could have been several years.

Plan right now is to at least get my spare PMD or maybe get both trucks together and do some more swapping so see if I can narrow things down.

I hope I don't have to drop a tank and replace more lines. Just went though that on the other one. At least I still have the lift cart set up and its reasonably fresh in my mind.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

If the IP still have a working PMD, just keep it till it fails.

You know that Dorman causes the code but it looks like you can still drive it.

4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in