Question: injection base timing - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Freddyack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
DieselDonutz
Gear Grinder

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

injection base timing

Hi All, Its been a while since I have been on here, but where else do u go when u need good advice

so I just rebuilt my 6.5 engine. while I was at it, I also replaced the injection pump. I ordered the software from carcode so that I would be able to time the injection pump. the problem I am having is. I don't quite understand the full procedure. I have seen so much information on here about different parts of the procedure but no one stop for all the info from the beginning. base timing? how do u set it (keep in mind my scan tool is carcode) after the base timing there is another adjustment right? where you readjusted to -1.94
in the carcode there is an option for timeset
I am assuming this is significant to the process
I also have learned about the koko procedure I figure that is also significant to the process.

I just need some1 to put it all together for me
and finally for the koko:

do u turn key on then depress pedal for 45, release pedal and turn off for 30 or depress pedal then turn key on for 45 the turn key of and release pedal OR it doesn't matter as long as the key is on?

I apologize in advance for what probably seems like dumb questions, I have learned so much about these engines but the timing is a 1st for me to tackle.
I have to check my sig to update my info on the truck but if its not there, I have the heath diesel tune. not sure if that would make any difference in the timing.
I also want to apologize a head of time if I didn't get this post in the right place or went about it all wrong, it took me a bit to figure out how to post, so I screwed something up, let me know and I will try to fix it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselDonutz
Gear Grinder

I'm not sure if my sig is showing so here is some basic info 1998 6.5, 4 inch exhaust, new engine, new injection pump, ecu tune from heath diesel, upgraded radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and fan. turbo upgrade. boost, fuel, exhaust guages

waterpump, fan clutch, and fan upgrade
tune from heath diesel
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
turbonator
respect the DB4 5722....

iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Welcome to Diesel Place (I welcome everyone with less than 5 posts)......we have requested that your thread be moved to the 6.5L section. You will have all the tech advice you need there.....J&J.

1998 gmc 3500 RCLB/4X4, 4L80E, DB2 converted, 6.2l #599 casting, bored .040", water-cooled garrett gt3271G turbo, CTS manifold, j-code intake, .290" IP, delphi injectors popped to 2300PSI with modded tips, 3" D.P., aero stainless muffler, triangle tip side pipe, Holley Red lift pump @ 5PSI, canton racing oil filter delete, remote filters, custom 5000psi gates oil cooler lines, over-sized long oil cooler, over-sized hayden tranny cooler, other than that its a "stock" engine....

acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
jim&jeff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Freddyack
Lead Moderator
Diesel Guru

Here are a couple of links to help you get the TDCO set:

TDCO: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...her-years.html

KOKO: https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ml#post5887642

Welcome to Diesel Place!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Guru

I'll give you a few good steps to start off with. Make sure your pump is bolted up dead level. Solenoid should be perfectly vertical. Absolutely no codes in the computer and the engine temp has got to be over 170 degrees. I'll let the other guys guide you thru the rest.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

This is my cheat note for carcode -

Start Carcode program -
Click Connect then OK
Click Data Tab
Select $05 ECT and click Send
Select $0C RPM and click Send
** ECT must be above 180*F, or TDCO will not be performed until temp reaches 180*F.**
Click Enhance tab, select All, then Click Send
Select GM and click OK, Select Diesel, Select L65 6.5 02, Click OK
After all supported parameters have loaded, select ALL and click STOP, Then
Select IPT and click send, then IPTD and click send, then TDCO and click Send.
Then, LEAVE THIS "GM L65 6.5 02" WINDOW OPEN.
Go to the Main screen and click the Test tab.
It would be advantageous to place these 2 screens
(the Enhanced tests and the GM L65.. screen)
side by side so you can monitor them simultaneously.
Click Enhance and enable device control. Note TDC Learn is now listed.
While monitoring TDCO in the GM L65 6.5 02 window that is still open,
select TDC Learn, click Enable in the Enhanced Tests screen.
Enable activates the TDCO learn process immediately.
When the desired TDCO is achieved, shut the truck down.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in