Strange A/C behavior - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

6.5L Diesel Engine Discuss the 6.5 GM diesel engine & associated components. Automatic transmission questions & problems belong in the 4L80/85 - 4L60E - 6L90 Transmission Forum

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
cliffyp
Diesel Apprentice

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Strange A/C behavior

The rear AC in my 95 suburban is very consistent. 55 degrees at idle, almost 50 while driving.
The front will fluctuate from lower 50s all the way up to 70. I can't find any pattern to it. Sometimes it feels great, then it feels like the AC was turned off. Even when the front goes to 70, the rear is still blowing cold. All measured with an infrared thermometer.

I'm no AC expert so help would be appreciated. There is only one compressor, correct? So the compressor is fine since the rear always blows cold. Could it be the blend door is moving sometimes?

I did take it to an AC shop. The pressures where fine and the front was blowing cold while they had it, so they just said it works.

Any thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
sixto
Diesel Apprentice

x2. Same thing with our '97. Can an orifice tube work intermittently?

Sixto
97 C2500 burb 189K miles

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
bshull
Diesel Fanatic

The Suburban Club Member

What was the outside temp? The test of an AC system is temperature differential, outside temp vs output temp. Is it putting out the same temp front and rear?

I know on my burb it takes 10 miles or so with front and rear AC to get it cooled down and then it will freeze you out at the 20 mile mark.

Yes, one compressor but the front has an orifice tube and the rear has an expansion valve. I have had the orifice tube clog up while the rear works great. Then the front works great while the rear doesn't.

On a 95 burb the orifice tube is found on the passenger side of the engine bay just after the "Y" split located behind the condenser. One side of the "Y" works the front and the other flows to the back where the expansion valve is located.

To answer your question, "Can an orifice tube work intermittently?" Not really. You could have debris in the system that catches in the orifice tube. I had this on my burb, took forever to flush it all out.

I recommend you check into your cooling stack and make sure the condenser is super clean and the space between condenser and radiator. This can also help with coolant temps. It is also a good idea to look at the evaporator coils as well.

If the coils check out do you have an issue with your HVAC and door control. Usually it just fails.

Just a guess, you have debris in the system and it clogged up the orifice tube. Be very careful, I had this with mine when a compressor died. I could get the front working and the back suffered or I could get the back working and the front sucked as debris moved throughout the system. I finally had enough and spent hours flushing the entire system. Crappy work and it sucks. After all this you must vac the system down and remove all water. Fill with proper amount of PAG oil then add freon.

Be careful of the freon you add to the system as most on shelf stuff has an ounce of oil in it. Ask the parts guys for freon without oil, usually it is not on the shelf as it is just a bit cheaper. This, if not planned for will put too much oil in your system and cooling will suffer.

Start with the cheap, check the coils and blend doors.

My 2 cents,

Brian
1995 GMC Burb K1500, 3.42 gears Automatic, PMD relocated to front bumper, Ditech PMD, four inch warpspeed exhaust, crossover, three inch downpipe, Raptor-100 Lift Pump, Racor fuel filter, S&B air filter system, *** turbo, heath tune and a P400!

Last edited by bshull; 05-26-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

x2 bshull
The diesels do not have a heater coolant shutoff valve, although the gas shutoff valve only slows it down.
I put a brass shutoff ball valve on the heater hose to keep the heat out of the cab.
Every degree counts here.
Also make sure your recirc door is closing and there is no debris for it to hang up on.
Are you getting good air flow out the dash vents? Does it slow down when the temp rises?

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73

Last edited by Glagulator; 05-26-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
grabowski
Whistle Pigs Are Cool

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagulator View Post
Also make sure your recirc door is closing and there is no debris for it to hang up on.
Are you getting good air flow out the dash vents? Does it slow down when the temp rises?
Would look there first
Midland Diesel rebuilt 5221 Blue Label IP with ULSD Upgrade & rebuilt Bosch injectors @ 2200psi. 235-85 on 16" PYO alloys. Bilstein HDs, Hellwig rear sway bar. Heath TM. Fluidampr. S&B oiled filter Intake, Provent 200 W/catchcan. Bosch Duraterm GP W/PT Solutions GP harness. WJ FTB. AC Delco Tstat & Red Line Water Wetter. hxtasy PMD #2 resistor on Heath Isolator 4. LS 1/2" oil cooler & lines. OPS Relay Mod & Leroys Hose. Diamond Eye exhaust. Heath 2.5" crossover. W/T Grille. VDO EGT & Vac/Boost gauge with copper line & Leroys Boost Bolt.

- 12-13-16 Out Of Commission @ 194,680k, 50 miles after Teds Mil Takeout Install. Bad noises in the motor.
- 12-29-16 #7 lifters and pushrods replaced and still sounds like a metal trash can half full of hammers rolling down a scree field.
- 03-01-17 @ 194,802 miles she's no longer mine.

12-28-2016: I no longer recommend Badger/kr_services and Ted's Trucks
Old 05-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
nsdtk
Diesel Nut

My 95 truck will freeze the ac grid in the cab and will loose cooling. Its a odd thing to get hot while the compressor is on turn it off and get froze out of the cab.
1994 Chevy C3500 6.5L NV4500 ,Outrider by Unique Conversion.Dually club # 1077, DE exhaust, Pressure Referenced Wastegate, LED upgrade in progress, In cab Dorman PMD, optical sensor filter removed ( shocked when i saw it was in there). LP Relay mod. Ate a valve, 117,900 Miles. RIP Engine #1,now 2016 GEP Optimizer powered and QuadStar tuned.
1995 GMC C1500 non turbo 6.5L 4L60E xVDOT truck. High Idle mod. Grey PMD on a FSD sync #9 resistor. Vaccum pump removed. No more EGR. Air intake opened up. 3 inch exaust on a high flow muffler. New push rods, Rockers arms at 246k. Was over10,000ths wear on the rocker arms.1998 style High Flow oil pump installed. Spins tires with little throttle again. 6.2 Injectors.Back running 80mph @ 21mpg. All this and now it won't roll black smoke at all. Just acts like a rocket ship 2004 Leather bucket seats from a Tahoe installed. That was a engineering fiasco glad that's over. Dorman PMD now, Grey one died. Tried number 5 resister again went back to a 9 just a dog with out it.OPS sensor rewired to remove load , fuel pump totally rewired as well. Now QuadStar tuned.
I do not recommend headlights made by Winjet.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
vstech
Eco-Logistical

Send a message via AIM to vstech Send a message via Skype™ to vstech

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Yup... Orifice tube debris from a failing R4 compressor... Reclaim the refrigerant, pull the tube out and inspect. If it's got black or gray gunk on it, plan on replacing the compressor and the condenser. If it's clean, pull the condenser and look for leaves and gunk in it.
2000 Chevrolet extended cab long bed 2500 6.5L HO
94 GMC extended cab long bed 6 lug truck 6.5L
Z71 ext cab standard bed S vin with a blown headgasket.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
cliffyp
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshull View Post
What was the outside temp?
mid 90's

Quote:
Is it putting out the same temp front and rear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
Even when the front goes to 70, the rear is still blowing cold. All measured with an infrared thermometer.
Quote:
I recommend you check into your cooling stack and make sure the condenser is super clean and the space between condenser and radiator. This can also help with coolant temps.
I'll check it out, but since the rear AC always blows cold, I wouldn't think this would be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagulator View Post
I put a brass shutoff ball valve on the heater hose to keep the heat out of the cab.
Every degree counts here.
I like the brass shutoff idea as an extra. I'll check the recirc door, but I would assume that it fully closes since the front does cool down into the lower 50's. Perhaps the recirc door is opening, or heat blend door is opening, and then later closing. Air flow is always strong. When the temp rises, you don't notice anything change other than warmer air. Feels exactly as if the compressor stopped, except it hasn't and the rear stays cold.

I guess I'll take it back to an AC shop and explain better what it does, mention the orifice tube debris and see where it leads. Thanks guys
Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Glagulator
Diesel Superstar

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

With credit to previous posters:
The rear air is working good so there is nothing wrong with the freon cycle. If there were trash on the OT then it would also plug up the expansion valve on the rear air, it has an even finer screen than the OT.
I have never seen an intermittently blocked OT but anything is possible. Having owned more burbs than anyone should be allowed, I can sympathize with you.
With it running and a/c on max/recirc, pull the blower fuse and see if the accum/dryer freezes up. If it does, then the problem is a door, solenoid, wiring, or the control head.

99 CREW LONG SRW C3500 work truck 199k+ mi. orig. motor & trans 4.10, modded engine harness, new oil cooler & lines, all new front end parts and poly bushings, trans poly mount, all new brakes.
96 SUBURBAN K2500 wife's truck 210k+ mi. orig. motor & trans, 3.73...
95 C2500 Suburban 6.5td HO w/p, timing set, HB & pulley, all rubber hoses, modded engine & main harness, converted to OBD2, PMD to bumper...
95 C1500 Suburban 6.5td rebuild tranny, convert to DB2, replacing as many parts as I can.
96 C2500 Suburban 7.4L converting to 6.5td w/ DB2, 4L80, 3.73

Last edited by Glagulator; 05-27-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdtk View Post
My 95 truck will freeze the ac grid in the cab and will loose cooling. Its a odd thing to get hot while the compressor is on turn it off and get froze out of the cab.
Usually, the low pressure switch on the dryer is out.
This switch is commonly failed due to location.
Fortunately, changing it is just a matter of screwing in and out without leaking any refrigerant.
Plus the switch is cheap.

Try this first and see.

Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator

Last edited by JMJNet; 05-28-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in